Author Topic: First Mission  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
This is the first mission I've ever considered both 'complete' and 'fun'. It's called 'Mission1' because I was playing with the thought of turning that thing into a small campaign.

Heavily inspired by FTL: Faster Than Light.

(It's here in an attachment until I can find out how to publish it somewhere.)

UPDATE: Fixed up things, added a message or two... and added an extra difficulty factor for anyone who's brave (or overconfident) enough to play this mission on Insane.

So, consider this a demo version of a mini-campaign that would consist of about 6-9 missions.
Also, can anyone tell me a good site where I can permanently put the campaign, since attachments get deleted after a while?

Oh, did anyone get the secret achievement I put there?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:01:34 am by Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet »
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Hey, just wanted to give you a little feedback!

Not bad! Though I personally think that the mission is missing more chatter and background information, I liked it. But it is hard. Got killed some times before i made it.

Just some thoughts:

In Ship selection, I can select A LOT of ships and weapons. Is that intended? Or did you forget to remove them in FRED?

I personally like some chatter at the beginning of a mission, so maybe the enemy is coming too fast... I also think that there should be a little more time between the messages, they're fast and it's hard to read them.

I sometimes had trouble to find The Osprey, so maybe put her on F9, F10 or so? Makes it easier to find, you can do this in the ship-screen.

Are the "Incoming" messages intended? Maybe you should turn this off, my wingmen shout "Shivan incoming/at your six" sometimes... Though there are no shivans ;)

I think it's nice for a first mission, keep on freeding! I hope my questions help a bit.

Hey, just wanted to give you a little feedback!

Not bad! Though I personally think that the mission is missing more chatter and background information, I liked it. But it is hard. Got killed some times before i made it.

Just some thoughts:

In Ship selection, I can select A LOT of ships and weapons. Is that intended? Or did you forget to remove them in FRED?

I personally like some chatter at the beginning of a mission, so maybe the enemy is coming too fast... I also think that there should be a little more time between the messages, they're fast and it's hard to read them.

I sometimes had trouble to find The Osprey, so maybe put her on F9, F10 or so? Makes it easier to find, you can do this in the ship-screen.

Are the "Incoming" messages intended? Maybe you should turn this off, my wingmen shout "Shivan incoming/at your six" sometimes... Though there are no shivans ;)

I think it's nice for a first mission, keep on freeding! I hope my questions help a bit.

Thank you for your feedback. It did help me find out some things I can tweak for this and future missions.

Yeah, I was also kind of thinking that there was a significant lack of chatter. However, I am not sure what kind of background information is lacking, so I'd appreciate it if you'd specify.

Yeah, the ship and weapons selection, I did remove the 'D' weapons but never really thought of limiting the choice a bit... I kind of forgot...

I'll try to squeeze in a bit more time between the messages, I keep forgetting to check if they appear too quickly.

And the wingman messages...Yes they're a wee bit excessive but I've never encountered anything with Shivans. Maybe it's on your end, I'm not sure.

And I'm glad that you think that this is nice for a first mission. As I said, I wanted to make this the base for my first campaign, but I wasn't sure how the community would like it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I find that for a message of average length, a delay of 6 seconds (6000 milisecs) tends to be pretty good.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Or you could basically get a stopwatch (definitely a function in any smartphone or other cellphone), measure how long it's taking you to read the message and add about one second to it (if the line shows up during a fight, you may want to consider extending it even more). And make sure that, since you probably won't be able to make a decent voice acting on your own, every message makes any kind of sound. At least a beep, that's helping a lot.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

*snip*
 At least a beep, that's helping a lot.

Wait, there are no beeps? Because I did put one on every message.
I have no experience with distributing mission files, so it may be that.

1. Yeah, I was also kind of thinking that there was a significant lack of chatter. However, I am not sure what kind of background information is lacking, so I'd appreciate it if you'd specify.

2. And the wingman messages...Yes they're a wee bit excessive but I've never encountered anything with Shivans. Maybe it's on your end, I'm not sure.

1.I'm just a bit confused, that's all. Who am I? Who wrote me this message? Am I related to The Osprey? Who are my wingmen, if I managed to convince them to guard The Osprey with me?

2. Yeah, could be me... Since I had Blue Planet activated, maybe the message is coming from there ;)

1. Yeah, I was also kind of thinking that there was a significant lack of chatter. However, I am not sure what kind of background information is lacking, so I'd appreciate it if you'd specify.

2. And the wingman messages...Yes they're a wee bit excessive but I've never encountered anything with Shivans. Maybe it's on your end, I'm not sure.

*snippity snap*  Who wrote me this message? *snippy*

I know I may sound nitpicky, but the message during the command briefing says 'Sent by: Cpt. Notozumi...'

EDIT: Also, since I am almost done with the second mission, where everything will be cleared up, everything will be explained in the later missions. Just wanted to say it.

Also, can anyone tell me a good site where I can permanently put the campaign, since attachments get deleted after a while?
FreeSpace Files or Mediafire

FreeSpace Files or Mediafire

Thank you. That's one big mystery solved.

Offline Mito [PL]

The beeps... I am not sure, but I think that the problem is on my end.

Edit: Okay, I just finished the mission (v2). It's a lot harder than I thought, so it took me quite a few attempts, but I succesfully managed to save both the Laramis Station and The Osprey, and I also got rid of the enemy fleet - it did cost me the Kestrel though, and I didn't really want to replay the mission again to make sure it survives. But man, having the capability of ordering capships around is great.

I'd suggest doing something with this annoying tendency of player's wingmen to die at anytime. I suppose using a higher AI class for them and some other equipement would be pretty nice - Ursas are fairly able to survive, but Medusas tend to get snuffed right away they need to fight. And flying a Herc there was kind of painful.
By the way, am I the only one to have the feeling that at least two wings of fighters have "attack Alpha 1" orders?

I didn't find the secret achievement though - is it because I played the mission on Medium?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:03:12 pm by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

The beeps... I am not sure, but I think that the problem is on my end.

Edit: Okay, I just finished the mission (v2). It's a lot harder than I thought, so it took me quite a few attempts, but I succesfully managed to save both the Laramis Station and The Osprey, and I also got rid of the enemy fleet - it did cost me the Kestrel though, and I didn't really want to replay the mission again to make sure it survives. But man, having the capability of ordering capships around is great.

I'd suggest doing something with this annoying tendency of player's wingmen to die at anytime. I suppose using a higher AI class for them and some other equipement would be pretty nice - Ursas are fairly able to survive, but Medusas tend to get snuffed right away they need to fight. And flying a Herc there was kind of painful.
By the way, am I the only one to have the feeling that at least two wings of fighters have "attack Alpha 1" orders?

I didn't find the secret achievement though - is it because I played the mission on Medium?

Well, yeah... it's kind of obvious that it was hard because Laramis Station was supposed to be destroyed. How you managed to save it is beyond me.

About the wingmen, I might've forgotten to guardian them and give them callsigns. Will fix that in the full campaign. I'll try bumping up the AI class of the Medusas too.

I'll change the ship from a Herc to Perseus in the full campaign too.

The secret achievement... yeah... it's got nothing to do with difficulty level (although insane difficulty has something else extra in there. )

You need to fail really hard to get it... no, not dying but failing your objective I mean. Because I noticed that failing to protect The Osprey is actually pretty hard.

Offline Mito [PL]

Ah. I thought something was a bit off.

Try this out:
1. Order Alpha and Beta to protect the station - they will die in moment's notice either way, at least they'll pick off some bombers,
2. Full burn towards the place where the Orion destroyer will be after its warp-in,
3. As soon as enemy cruisers arrive, order The Osprey and Kestrel to destroy the Leviathan cruiser in the wing - they will both stop the cruisers and the bombers form bombarding the station... Cruisers will go down soon and bombers will have to enter point defence range of either the cruiser or the corvette,
4. Get both bomber wings working on killing the Deimos corvette,
5. As soon as the Orion arrives, kill its three beam cannons facing the station as fast as you can - Prometheus and Hornets are absolutely enough, it takes just a few seconds to kill a beam. After that the destroyer is simply not a threat for anything,
6. The dozen or so fighters that should be pouring you with gunfire for a while now. Kill them.
And then order anything you have to kill the remaining two cruisers, meanwhile pick off any bombers heading for the station. After that, you've got at least a corvette to be ordered to kill the Orion and screen you from fighters with its point defences. Get your forces to kill the destroyer, then the remaining cruiser (blockade) and you're done.

I myself sent bombers to get the two Fenris cruisers attacking the station, and Kestrel to harass the Deimos corvette, that's possibly why I've lost it. It won't survive for long far away from the Osprey.
And all of this above allowed me to get both the Laramis Station and The Osprey out with 70% hull integrity, but I lost the Kestrel an ALL of my wingmen. And got my fighter bumped to about 30% integrity left.

I meant that bumping AI class for the bombers might not be enough (if played my style :P), because Medusas hulls might not be enough even for the highest AI class there...
Or perhaps try Fury AI?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Something that I wanted to ask:
If I am making a campaign, should I keep completely quiet about it or should I regularly post updates on how work is progressing?

Offline Axem

Something that I wanted to ask:
If I am making a campaign, should I keep completely quiet about it or should I regularly ***** post updates on how work is progressing? *****

:)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
+1
Make updates
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Alright, I'll throw together another topic which talks about 'Freespace 2: Faster than Light' in general and not just that one mission.

Also, thanks for all the feedback guys, you are quite possibly the nicest community I've met.