Author Topic: [FA] C1M7 Primus  (Read 28738 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm going to take a look at the problem. The sub system I'm having problems with is indeed the one Primus mentioned.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Solved it. The Communications02 subsystem was in exactly the same place as Engine01. All the damage was going there instead.

Fixed

(also contains the fixed icons.tbl for SCP users).

Anyway. Onto the mission itself. Is it possible to actually disable the comms in time? I stuck around the sobek. Killed the first two waves of bombers and some fighters and still lost the Sobek when I left it to go after the Damocles.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by karajorma
Solved it. The Communications02 subsystem was in exactly the same place as Engine01. All the damage was going there instead.

It was right there and I couldn't figure it out...

Anyway. Onto the mission itself. Is it possible to actually disable the comms in time? I stuck around the sobek. Killed the first two waves of bombers and some fighters and still lost the Sobek when I left it to go after the Damocles. [/B]

You mean destroy the comms? ;) (or can you use word disable here?...) Yes. It is. When the comms' strength were dropped to 7.5, there was enough time for that.
And you lost the Sobek? That has happened to me only few times...

Well, I'll play with the new model and let's see what happens...
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I could probably save the Sobek but only by leaving the Damocles to my wingmen.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Better late than never, huh? :D

So, FA campaign 1, mission 7, version 6 No more clicking here

-Doesn't have more cry for help from Sopedu. Reason: SEXP limit.
-Damocles comms' strength set to 7.5.
-Comms can be taken down in time.
-Sope didn't get destroyed once ;)

Now it's time for some TBP FREDding :p
Oh, BTW, Karajorma. Did you see my Narn wing names for the TBP mission?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 06:56:40 pm by 2137 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Saw them. They sounded reasonable enough :)

Okay, some minor things with this mission.  First, the Vasudan dialogue is odd.

"Power down your weapons and engines and surrender."

Just say power down and surrender.  I know its been done to death but weapons and engines and surrender just doesn't sound right.

"Surrender now or we will engage you."

Just say, surrender now or face the consequences.  Again, it has been said before, but "or we will engage you" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Change send to sent in this sentence "They send the subspace message! Orders, Command?"

"The Damocles is soon at the node"

The Damocles is closing in on the node sounds better, but that's your call.

"We are here to collect radiation values from the asteroids for the Naxos Research Company. What are you doing in here?"

Change in to out.

Now we come to the next part, mission difficulty.  I have played this mission a good five times and not once have I been able to destroy the comms on the Damocles.  The enemy fighter wings keep me occupied most of the mission, and I lose my wingmen too rapidly for them to help.  I had to order them to engage the enemy to keep them alive, and that caused the Sopedu to die on one occassion.  Maybe I'm missing something, but on medium I have been unable to complete this mission at all.  

This may sound dumb, but losing one enemy wing wouldn't hurt the difficulty all that badly.  The NTR should have a fighting chance, not an outright advantage.  It takes too long to kill the enemy fighters on medium and then destroy the comm systems on the Damocles.  Or, with my wingmen destroyed, the turrets on the ship pummel me senseless.  An alternative might be to simply move the Damocles back further in order to allow more time. In any case, the difficulty on medium makes the mission impossible for me.

Also, shouldn't the disable objective have a directive?  I know its not as important given what happens if you do it, but it seems important enough to warrant one.

Beyond those comments, there isn't much wrong with this mission except for the constant "NTR retards" quip, which gets old after a while.

Good work.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll bet the mission is probably too hard. I've been complaining about that one to Primus for a while. :)

That said are you using the updated Iceni pof file I posted further up the thread? Cause the one in the Vp is almost impossible to disable due to a bug in where the comms subsystem is located.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Okay. About the difficulty. With the updated Iceni and comm strengths set to 7.5, the mission is very easy to accomplish on Very Easy level. On medium, I was able to take down the comms only once. I guess I should make it easier on Medium difficulty...

Thanks for the grammar and spelling feedback, I've been for that. :)

Also, shouldn't the disable objective have a directive? I know its not as important given what happens if you do it, but it seems important enough to warrant one.

I think it is important, but it should pop up everytime the Damo is trying to escape. I'll check it and see where I forgot it :)

On the side note. The intro dialogue is really starting to piss me off, after seeing it dozens of times :lol:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 06:53:37 pm by 2137 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Balance for medium. It's meant to be very easy on Very easy :D

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
It's meant to be very easy on Very easy :D

Really?? ;)
But I'll make it easier on medium :)
And the link will be removed in 27 seconds.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by freespacegundam

"We are here to collect radiation values from the asteroids for the Naxos Research Company. What are you doing in here?"

Change in to out.

Hmm.. Out? .."What are you doing out here" ?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. Since the ship isn't inside a container of some sort in sounds kind of wrong. :)

In case you're wondering I only tend to bother with spelling just before the mission is finished :) That's why I've not been correcting spelling all along. If you guys want to do it though that's good :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Ok. I've changed the messages and now I'm fixing the balance for medium.
I really shouldn't be doing it now as the time is 3.20 AM here and I gotta get up early. :lol:

*continues fredding*

Changes done. But I'll playtest it later. Maybe seventh could be the one. *crosses fingers* :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 07:30:33 pm by 2137 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
The Seventh

Tweaking it some more

***UPDATES***
-Serious work on the balance (finally)
--Some of the Damocles' turrets are destroyed at the beginning (mainly missile turrets)
--Decreased enemy AI Class
--Increased friendly AI Class
--Less hostile wings at the same time
--Gamma wing is now Delta, and a reinforcement wing
-Spelling and grammars

Now, I'm a bit afraid that the mission is too easy on medium. But you tell me :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 02:38:46 am by 2137 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Some minor tweaking on the balance.. Now it's version 7.1 :D

DOWNLOAD

Offline Fergus

testing now
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Tested until the dear SCP said: 'You ain't gonna survive without rebooting'. Here are the results:
  • The BRIEF7 music is inappropriate
  • Grammar is not something I should check, or have a right on commenting, but I noticed that your briefing says something 'Delta wing is available, call it in'. I believe the 'Delta wing is available. Call THEM in' is a better version.
  • It would be nice if you could do something to prevent the player from shooting at the science vessel and Phi wing without any punishment.
  • The Sopedu reported critical hull when her hull was at 51%. This is not critical damage.

Making another test run. As I suspect, the only detterent for testing anything is the SCP.

I knew. Crash again. A new note, anyway:

• I destroyed the Communication system and I received the 'Destroy the comms' message. This flaw presents in any versions.

If the SCP release a stable build(which is highly unlikely to happen), I will return to test this mission once or twice again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 03:00:04 pm by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Fergus

This mission is for Retail, not SCP.  But would SCP hamper testing, if not then I'll be able to keep testing instead of having to keep installing/uninstalling.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's good if the mission is tested on SCP and retail systems. After all the campaign will be played by people on both.

This installing/uninstalling SCP nonsense will be largely a thing of the past once the next version of the Launcher comes out so you only have to wait a little while.