Author Topic: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)  (Read 141173 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)
The Eris is knocked out, the Toutatis is destroyed, and the Imperieuse is reduced to a hulk in a four-way fight between Eris/Toutatis and Imperieuse/Atreus.

Did Calder go down with the ship?

Yes.

How does shambala literally work?

It's a two-stage plan, with the failure of the first stage promoting the success of the second.

The first stage is military: a nodeship to lock down the Delta Serpentis node and freeze the GTVA out of Sol.

The second stage is purely ideological and sociopolitical. The Elders have determined that the GTVA expects certain patterns in war, and they're trying to cater to those expectations. The nodeship is a 'dragon' for the GTVA to slay; once they've brought down the enemy's final weapon they will see the UEF as beaten and accept a peace. (This rhymes with the way players expect a juggernaut/supership at the climax of a campaign). The Elders believe that this is the best way for Ubuntu to survive, and for the UEF to ultimately 'win' through subtle acculturation.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I feel like the GTVA's so called morpheus contingency, if not tuned to counter that specific plan, is ostensibly a counter to that general possibility?

I had been left with the impression that at the very least its their response to their fear that alien influences will gain control over human society.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:12:14 pm by QuakeIV »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Morpheus is exactly why the Elders feel they can't just surrender.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
OwO whats this

Perhaps the elders hope the GTVA political leadership will end the war with the death of the proverbial dragon, but otherwise actors other than the political leadership might do something horrible to them?

What would mission success for morpheus look like, and where did the original idea come from?  (i wanted to be edgy and use 'ideated' but couldnt figure out how)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ubuntu is too useful for the GTVA to throw out wholesale. The Elders accept that they're going to be figuratively decapitated, but they want the body to live on without the head. The best chance of that is to convince the GTVA that the UEF's been defeated in its final gambit, and to give the softer factions in the GTVA a chance to assimilate Ubuntu.

Didn't they consider that UEFs possible ideological influence upon GTVA was one of their reasons to go to war with them?

At the 'destroy the node' thing - why should the GTVA be unable to restore it a couple hours later with their Sol Gate?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Because the Sol Gate wouldn't be online at that point.

Your other question is answered above.

So if  Noemi is tasked by Ken to "destroy the GTVA" would a post-Shambhala cultural victory count?

And how well would Ubuntu philosophy cope with the constant existential threat of the Shivans? It seems even the Sol conflict is causing it to break down among the people actually doing the fighting.

Is fear of a third incursion likely to influence the surrender terms with the GTVA being more lenient once they've "slain the dragon" and feel like they've won just to get the war over quicker and return to a higher state of readiness?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

It's a two-stage plan, with the failure of the first stage promoting the success of the second.

The first stage is military: a nodeship to lock down the Delta Serpentis node and freeze the GTVA out of Sol.

The second stage is purely ideological and sociopolitical. The Elders have determined that the GTVA expects certain patterns in war, and they're trying to cater to those expectations. The nodeship is a 'dragon' for the GTVA to slay; once they've brought down the enemy's final weapon they will see the UEF as beaten and accept a peace. (This rhymes with the way players expect a juggernaut/supership at the climax of a campaign). The Elders believe that this is the best way for Ubuntu to survive, and for the UEF to ultimately 'win' through subtle acculturation.

This is fantastic writing. It also explains why Admiral Calder and Admrial Netreba were left in the dark about Shambala.

So if  Noemi is tasked by Ken to "destroy the GTVA" would a post-Shambhala cultural victory count?

Maybe the GTVA can be destroyed afterwards?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:03:53 am by JoeBalls »

Maybe the GTVA can be destroyed afterwards?

It is not saied that the destruction of GTVA is carried out by Terrans. :nervous:

Offline crizza

Is the node-buster ship designed around the missing hull of Calders white elephant aka the Murugan?

Is the node-buster ship designed around the missing hull of Calders white elephant aka the Murugan?

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/UEX_Maitreya

What is this?

A necessary and possibly sufficient component of Shambhala.

Sufficient if stage one works, necessary for stage two.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:03:16 pm by JoeBalls »

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
So then, does Shambhala get deployed, and if so, does it work? If not, what goes wrong?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's deployed and, in fierce fighting, reaches the node. But at the same time Earth's final lines of defense crumble, and Steele attains bombardment positions over Earth. After a Mexican standoff, Byrne orders Shambhala to stand down and surrenders.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Where is Laporte/Simms/the Fedayeen in all of this? Prepping for a run to Capella?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
In VR  playing wings of dawn.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Where is Laporte/Simms/the Fedayeen in all of this? Prepping for a run to Capella?

At all the battles we've talked about here, namely the big destroyer brawl and fighting Shambhala to the node.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I feel like if the other UEF admirals were only briefed on the first phase of shambhala (assumedly at the last second), then they would regain a modicum of respect for byrne.

Is that defeat an adequately convincing reenactment of the GTVA's military history to avoid morpheus?

What exactly does the Morpheus Contingency entail?

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.