Author Topic: Warships of the TEI (GTD Titan WIP)  (Read 116943 times)

Re: [Release]Vengeance-pattern GTCv Diomedes
Can someone test if this ship works in the very first mission of WiH? My Game crashes instantly after i start Mission 1 with the new Diomedes.  After deleting the new files everything works fine egain, so it has to be related to the Diomedes.
I've had some problems setting it up too, you can have a look at the last post of the first page of this thread.
This is my first attempt at making a direct replacement for an existing ship, so I actually have no idea why the diomedes-shp.tbm has issues (I'm sure someone more experienced could tell me what I screwed up).  The simplest fix is to extract the bp2-shp.tbm and paste the new tables over the Diomedes entry in there.  That's the way I have it set up, and I understand it fixed issues for others.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your table, it's just that if you just dump it in the bp folder, there is some mess up caused by conflicting table entries, or priorities or something like that.
Which is why I extracted the entire table, as I knew it should, in theory, cleanly override the table located in the .vp file. Well that sort of was my reasoning, I don't know if it was correct, but it solved the issue for me.

On a side note, regarding the intro cutscene, NuDiomedes is now capable of firing all its TerSlashBlues at the Cormorrant.

Offline Darius

There's subsystem naming differences between the old and new Diomedes (namely engines) which is causing a conflict. It's not 100% a plug-and-play conversion, some editing of the old file will be required.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Instead, why not rename the subsystems in the new POF/edit whatever in that as necessary to match the old ones, so that it is plug-and-play?
Unless its got something to do with the detail-based subobjects requiring _a's _b's etc...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aesaar

Maybe 2 engine subsystems was a bad idea.  I thought it mades no sense how a dual Paveway hit could knock out all 4 engines, considering how widely spaced out they are.  The Karuna has it set up right.

In other news, the Chimera model is pretty much complete.  I want to get feedback and suggestions before I start UV mapping.

Currently sitting at around 12000 polygons.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:17:18 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The bridge and turrets seems smaller than in the original, otherwise it's spot-on.
I think that the bridge may stay, but enlarge the turrets. STerPulse isn't exactly a small pulse.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Turrets look the same size to me. I have some feedback: please marry me

e: I like the slightly harder-edged, more angular look you're going for with these ships. It fits well with the 'next-gen' aesthetic on the Atalanta and Nyx, and it makes the ships a little more menacing. It also recalls modern next-gen ship design, which is a great bit of resonance. I don't necessarily think you should do the Hyperion next, but I can't wait to see what you do with the Hyperion, which is a bit ungainly and would probably look great with some sharp lines.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd be great if you could make sure that big turrets on all corvettes and the Hyperion are of the same size, since they all use the same weapon.
Hyperion done in this style could indeed be interesting.

Offline Axem

I wish to make a complaint about your engine block! It is too lumpy and low profile! I'd suggest adding bringing the back the rear face in so you see more of the engines than just the nozzles. Add some greebles or pipez in there. But overall, very, very, very nice.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Now I love that ship :yes:, I can't wait to see Titan and Raynor :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Aesaar

The turrets are actually a little bigger than they are on the older model, precisely to bring them in line with those on the Diomedes (which weren't altered from the Sparta-pattern Diomedes).

The Bellerophon is next in line after this is done (because Serkr Team is awesome).  Then the Hyperion.

Axem: Good idea.  I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:17:58 am by Aesaar »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Hey uh, I just downloaded the Diomedes, and uh...

You forgot to add smoothgroups/edgesplit/smoothing. It has a rather bad case of facets on the rounded surfaces!
Please fix (and remember to do so for all future releases) :P

Thank you!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aesaar

I'm aware.  I was on release.  Blender was just an ass and forgot my smoothing when I imported, and I didn't have the patience to spend a few hours redefining the groups in Blender's roundabout way of doing it.  Don't worry.  The Chimera's curved hull is a lot more obvious than the Dio's is, and I wouldn't stand for faceting there.

It won't matter soon anyway.  I've got a new LOD0 planned for the Diomedes.  Right now, it's got less than half the polygons the Chimera has, and I'm a bit dissatisfied with the detail level.

Offline sky-

Your Chimera looks great! Thanks for the good work.
It is way more 'terran' now, sharp edges and big turrets are the thing. Let the curvy stuff to the Vasudans.

Offline crizza

For what stands the S in STerPulse anyway?
smal Terpulse not at all?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
For what stands the S in STerPulse anyway?
smal Terpulse not at all?

Nah, it's just Small Terran Pulse

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Still, it's only small when compared to TerPulse, which is humongous (and that's a good thing, considering it's used on Raynor and Titan).

Offline crizza

So STerPulse are mounted on ship like cruisers and corvettes while the TerPulse is mounted on Destroyers...allright, thanks :)

Hello there, wanted to say you guys done an excellent job on both AoA and WiH.  Great storyline.   I was thinking about the Titan.  Does it need a redone?  I mean at least couple parts of the ships could use a remodel, bridge i can understand, but the ship itself looks great tho.   I'm just saying  :D.

Offline -Norbert-

The answer to your question is on the previous page of the thread:

I intend to do the Chimera, Bellerophon, Hyperion, Titan, and Raynor.  Probably in that order.  The Titan's not going to be easy, so it *might* switch places with the Raynor (which in turn might switch places with the Hyperion).  The textures will look similar to the Diomedes, including the stripes.  I'm not fond of the glowy lights either. 
[...]

Offline Aesaar

Preparing to move on to LODs and debris.  Want feedback on the texture.  I might add a few more markings like the two boxes on the bow, and I'd really like to add something more to the flaps on the stern, but apart from that, the texture is pretty much done (pending suggestions).

I'm not a very good texture artist, unfortunately, which is why it looks rather bland.  Can't hope to match Esarai's work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:05:51 am by Aesaar »