Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308926 times)

Re: What are you working on?
You really should get somebody who can do UV mapping for you, these models are WAY too good to stay untextured. :)

Thanks, I wish I had the time myself to learn, but my modeling is all I got time for as it's easy to stop and start. UV mapping to me is time consuming and very extensive. I tried several times to learn, but nothing made sense and I could not stop save and come back. Nothingness, someday I'll have a chance too, just not for the time being. I figured I'll just improve my modeling, show then here and wait for the day I do got time to UV map. Heck I dont even got the game running on my computer at the moment.

Thanks again for the kind words :) 
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
After nearly four years of silence, I've decided to restart the entire SDn Sariel model from scratch. Using the rear as a basis that would be used for my forthcoming SJ Amritaya renovation, I've modeled it from the ground up. It comprises over 16,000 triangles. It has four VLS torpedo launchers, the first Shivan ship to sport such a thing.

Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Another ship in the works...... polys and normal maps.  I wish we could write shaders, that would cut polycounts down and at the same time bring detail up.

That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

That ship looks familiar somehow. Should I recognize it from somewhere?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
While the engines are a giveaway.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

That ship looks familiar somehow. Should I recognize it from somewhere?
The base model was from the old Wing commander Sheffield class destroyer.  It was one of my first re-models (and keeps being that too).  As for the nacelles, ya I've been playing STO a lot.  Been merging the two worlds together.

As for the shaders, I had one designed for the Unreal engine.  Basically you would have the shader combine multiple textures on different UV channels to form a detailed texture.   First layer would be the plain ship texture on a texture atlas.  On the second layer there would be more detailed transparent textures (like ambient occlusion).  You could even do a third with just normal maps to produce a detailed skin.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

well I hope this one is acceptable next to Scoobys awesome work..ahem! :P

My version of the Boreas...

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I spotted that Sheffield ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline m!m

As for the shaders, I had one designed for the Unreal engine.  Basically you would have the shader combine multiple textures on different UV channels to form a detailed texture.   First layer would be the plain ship texture on a texture atlas.  On the second layer there would be more detailed transparent textures (like ambient occlusion).  You could even do a third with just normal maps to produce a detailed skin.
If you say "different UV channels" do you mean that each vertex has multiple UV-coordinates assigned to it? The other features should already be supported by the FSO rendering engine.

Offline Axem

Yeah, basically. You can have a tiled texture and then overlay stuff like an dirt/detail or an AO map on top of that so it all blends together giving you a better looking texture/material.

If you say "different UV channels" do you mean that each vertex has multiple UV-coordinates assigned to it? The other features should already be supported by the FSO rendering engine.

Axem got it, ya.  For example, if I remember this right. I had channel one for the base hull texture.  I did a simple uv map (channel 1) for it, then used a texture atlas for the texture.  Channel 2 I made a much better uv map, this map I baked the ambient occlusion into and added extra details (scratches).  Channel 3 was a normal map that was used on certain parts of the mesh.  It contained a copy of channel 2's uv map projected onto it.  This allowed the shader to use the normal map while at the same time copying the texture of the underlying mesh.  It was used for panel lines, rivets, etc...  This way you don't need a panel line decal for the base texture, a panel line decal for blue texture, red texture, yellow...etc.

As you can see on the panel lines (including the upper blue ones) it maintains the hull texture

Offline m!m

Yeah, that's a little too much for the FSO rendering engine to handle :nervous:
I would like to have a material system as flexible as UnrealEngine but there are a lot of reasons why this doesn't work in FSO at the moment :(

One wonders if we should update the game to a new rendering engine as unreal? Start a GO FUND ME site? Just wondering.

Yeah, that's a little too much for the FSO rendering engine to handle :nervous:
I would like to have a material system as flexible as UnrealEngine but there are a lot of reasons why this doesn't work in FSO at the moment :(

Couple things we would need,

1.) multiple uv channels (this would require both the engine and psc2 to be updated).  It would probably have to be stored either at the end of the POF file or as a seperate POF2 file (for compat sake).

2.) Ability to load textures other than the ones assigned to the ship (since shaders can use other textures)

3.) Finally good shader support. I know shaders are there, but I don't know the state of being able to use your own.

Offline m!m

One wonders if we should update the game to a new rendering engine as unreal? Start a GO FUND ME site? Just wondering.
I thought about this some times already but I always arrived at the conclusion that it's too much work given the current state of the rendering engine.

1.) multiple uv channels (this would require both the engine and psc2 to be updated).  It would probably have to be stored either at the end of the POF file or as a seperate POF2 file (for compat sake).
If that would be implemented it would be better to just use a better format (such as glTF) which supports flexible vertex formats by default. The biggest problem I see here is performance. Since the current format is static all the model data can be uploaded into a single GPU buffer and while rendering the buffer binding doesn't have to be changed. If we allowed dynamic vertex layouts then optimization would be delegated to the modder and in most cases that will probably not work well since any documentation would be outdated as soon as the rendering engine is changed again.

2.) Ability to load textures other than the ones assigned to the ship (since shaders can use other textures)
This could probably be solved by creating a generic rendering material system but I have no idea how much work that would require.

3.) Finally good shader support. I know shaders are there, but I don't know the state of being able to use your own.
FSO actually "allows" to override the shaders used by the engine but they are no included in the backwards compatibility guarantee since otherwise we would never have been able to add things like deferred shading or shadow mapping. Customizing shaders would either result in very little customization in order to allow future changes to the rendering engine or it would require a very complex system that is somehow designed to be future-proof. UnrealEngine doesn't have this problem since the shaders only target one engine version and if some new feature is introduced in an update it's possible that your shaders get broken.

Offline SL1

I've been experimenting with cobbling together some head anis from footage of another game. Right now, I have three anis that I think might be good as all-purpose pilot heads. I'd very much like some feedback on them, because they have a potentially significant flaw and I'd like to know how noticeable it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nsu1d8axwp3wh59/ani-test.zip

Some notes:

- I used the .eff method. I couldn't quite figure out how to make an ani directly. I've included a demo mission (ani-test-1) that uses them in messages.

- For some reason, switching back to another mod after deactivating this one gives me an error that says "The pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod. Please select another campaign or switch to the correct mod in order to use this campaign." I don't know what's causing it. It appears to be harmless, but you might want to create a new pilot for this mod just to be safe. And I'd certainly appreciate if anyone could tell me how to fix it.

- I'd appreciate if you played the demo mission first before looking at it in FRED or looking at the file names in the VP. There's something about these anis that I want to know whether or not it's particularly noticeable if you're not looking for it, and knowing the file names would tell you what to look for.

That said, here's what I'd like to know if you noticed:

Spoiler:
The pilots' helmets have names on them. Male Pilot 1 is Slater, Female Pilot 1 is Kreysig, and Male Pilot 2 is Daniels. These anis were edited together from footage of an old game called G-Police: Weapons of Justice, and those are the characters' names. If the names are noticeable, that would obviously severely limit the use of these anis for general purposes. I know basically nothing about video editing (putting these together is the first time I've even used a video editor), so I don't know how difficult it would be to cover the names up somehow.

I managed to untie my mod from BP... Took a whole damn afternoon to do so, but now all necessary tables, models, maps, sounds, weapons and effects are copied to my own mod folder. This way I can delete the dependency from Blue Planet and changes on BP won't break my mod ;) This way I also learned a lot more about the different table files.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:45:18 pm by bomb3rman »

Been working on my version of the GTD Masashi I saw some time ago as I liked the overall look. I'll post something later when I get home.

Happy Friday folks :)

well I hope this one is acceptable next to Scoobys awesome work..ahem! :P

My version of the Boreas...

I would 3D print this, if I had a 3D printer.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]