Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey  (Read 7920 times)

Re: IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey
I do have a bit of trouble identifying here as I knew what the flaps, ailerons and elevators were for at age 4.  That may be a bit unusual I suppose :)

I looked at planes too as a child but I just looked at the pictures. I didn't care how they worked :P

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Indeed. :p

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I do have a bit of trouble identifying here as I knew what the flaps, ailerons and elevators were for at age 4.  That may be a bit unusual I suppose :)

I looked at planes too as a child but I just looked at the pictures. I didn't care how they worked :P
What on earth is wrong with you? :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

What on earth is wrong with you? :D

For example, I only just learned yesterday, that in a lot of WW1 planes the entire engine spun around. Or at least, the pistons did to facilitate air cooling. That's crazy.

-And speaking of www1, the Red Baron is now on Gog.com

I was into flight sims from around the age of 4 too. :D

A lot of flight sims require hours, or even months, of practice, especially if you want to fly according to the rules / how real pilots fly. Back in June I finally picked up Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, and I have yet to really knuckle down and learn what all the switches do. For me it's a big step up from Lock-On Modern Air Combat (mainly because I played a couple of the older Flanker sims that Eagle Dynamics also developed, which have similar controls to Lock-On). Printing out the huge manual you get on the CD seems like a chore in itself, not to mention a bit, well, environmentally wrong (who's gonna save the trees, man?? :blah:). Once I get up to speed on it and figure out how multiplayer is meant to be set up I might ask Mika for a coop dogfight or something.

Part of the enjoyment that I get from flight sims is the satisfaction of having flown according to the flight plan and landed safely, which is even greater if the aircraft has damage and stuff like that. But sometimes just doing aerobatics and screwing around is fun too, like in the first Flight Unlimited sim, which had an emphasis on performing aerobatic manoeuvers. Stressing out the the Sukhoi Su-31 until it disintegrated gave me many moments of fun.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:32:33 am by lostllama »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The only simulator I played for any significant amount of time was MS Flight Sim '97, and that largely consisted of me pulling maneuvers in cities that would probably see me arrested as a terrorist-in-training today. :p

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Damn you guys. Now I really want to get back into IL-2 again, but I don't have the time. :p

Offline Davros

For you people struggling
The seminal "How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky" by  Dan "Crash" Crenshaw

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~fta/acmintro.htm

The IL-2 series (for the PC) is great, but my main 2 gripes are (1) the way kills get allocated (it sometimes seems unfair IMO) and (2) the sometimes confusing radio chatter. I'd prefer something like the radio chatter in European Air War (got to look into the mods for that one day, if I ever find the CD for it).