Author Topic: StarCraft 2: More info  (Read 19122 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: StarCraft 2: More info
The only major problem I have with the game is the graphics look way too cartoonish... being able to select more than 12 units at once is pretty gay too, IMO

My only exposure to Starcraft was with the demo many years ago, but this silly issue is one reason I never really got into the game.

If they want players to control smaller teams, it should be for solid, gameplay reasons and not artificial limitations on the interface.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The original reason was to curtail the effectiveness of early-game rushing, I believe. Particularly in the case of players with a ton of Zerglings.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The only major problem I have with the game is the graphics look way too cartoonish... being able to select more than 12 units at once is pretty gay too, IMO
Are the cartoonish graphics comments made based on the earlier screen shots or more recent versions.  Such as this one?  The art team has taken some of the comments made by the community to make tweaks.  Allot of the shiny look has given way to a much more gritty look in some areas.  Colour pallet remains much more open than the original...largely due to not being limited technically.  The Protoss still look a bit shiny but the Terrans are looking more gritty in each shot.

http://www.starcraft2.com/images/screenshots/ss74-hires.jpg

Also, what is "gay" about selecting more than 12 units?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Protess really ought to look shiney, not as much as they used to, but some.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The original reason was to curtail the effectiveness of early-game rushing, I believe. Particularly in the case of players with a ton of Zerglings.

Most Zergling rushes I fell victim to consisted of no more than 8-10 Zerglings. Pros could control 24-36 lings without much problem, anyway. Still, it's a good feature if we consider "a ton of Zerglings."

About the pic IceFire posted: It seems that SC2 will feature large-scale battles. It is no doubt eyecandy, but I wonder how manageable the units will be under these situations.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm worried that the enhanced visual effects will reduce the transparency of the battles -- it'll be harder to tell what's going on and make quick decisions.

I think, from interviews, that the dev team is pretty aware of this issue, so hopefully they'll work with it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I would prefer, honestly, that they kept it that way. If you have the fog of war, then more power to you dammit. :p

A Feddie Story

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Are the cartoonish graphics comments made based on the earlier screen shots or more recent versions.  Such as this one?  The art team has taken some of the comments made by the community to make tweaks.  Allot of the shiny look has given way to a much more gritty look in some areas.  Colour pallet remains much more open than the original...largely due to not being limited technically.  The Protoss still look a bit shiny but the Terrans are looking more gritty in each shot.

http://www.starcraft2.com/images/screenshots/ss74-hires.jpg

Also, what is "gay" about selecting more than 12 units?

What's "gay" is that it takes away alot of the skill required to do well in the original. Also you ignored my post that it should be a map setting. The units arn't as shiny anymore, but they're still all one color grey throughout, some damage textures might be nice...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Skill?

Skill?

The original required you to be a goddamn spastic. Not have skill.

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
More than 12 unit selection takes away nothing from skill...it just rewarded click happy people.  Click happy does not equal skill at all in any way.  They tried to do the 12 unit thing because they thought it would prevent or slow down rushes...which it didn't.  Even I could get a good zerg rush going.  Skill is in the timing, the force mix, the proper application of micro, and use of any diversionary/flanking style/trap setting moves which I have seen some great videos of on YouTube and witnessed some myself.
- IceFire

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Baneling section online at www.starcraft2.com, any comments?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Banelings look poop so far. But i can't comment on anything until i get a copy of the game myself.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Explosive! :)

Seems like a fine unit...but I'm not a huge Zerg fan so I don't really mind either way.
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Banelings + Nydus worms + inattentive opponent = WIN
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
You (we) don't know that those aren't both tier 2 units, or higher.

Also, I liked it when the Protoss ships had tiger stripes... what the heck happened?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Tiger stripes ? Oh. Those, really faint stripes ? I never really paid attention to them much. I like how they look now, tbh.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
More than 12 unit selection takes away nothing from skill...it just rewarded click happy people.  Click happy does not equal skill at all in any way.  They tried to do the 12 unit thing because they thought it would prevent or slow down rushes...which it didn't.  Even I could get a good zerg rush going.  Skill is in the timing, the force mix, the proper application of micro, and use of any diversionary/flanking style/trap setting moves which I have seen some great videos of on YouTube and witnessed some myself.

That, and the entire interface in SC really rewarded people who did nothing but memorize keyboard shortcuts.  Are shortcuts helpful?  Yes.  But RTS game designers shouldn't be implementing them in a way that a highly experienced played can crush a new player merely because they've managed to master to shortcut spasms.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
That, and the entire interface in SC really rewarded people who did nothing but memorize keyboard shortcuts.  Are shortcuts helpful?  Yes.  But RTS game designers shouldn't be implementing them in a way that a highly experienced played can crush a new player merely because they've managed to master to shortcut spasms.
Its impossible to implement shortcuts the way you say it. Shortcuts are meant to make the player act faster. But shortcuts themselves aren't anything more than binding commands to the keyboard. You can't make them do, "Oh look, opponent is newbie, so disable shortcuts for user" It'll just spoil the game. And tbh, even without keyboard shortcuts, a highly experienced player can still crush new players easily.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yes, those really faint stripes.

I notice now that all 3 factions have a system by which you can place a single unit near a target area and summon additional units to that area:

Terran: Ghost - Drop Pod
Protoss: Phase Prism - Warpin
Zerg: Nydus Worm

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, actually, I believe the Nydus Worm (and the Phase Prism in non-deployed mode) require units to be loaded into them before transport...and as of at least one recent build, the Ghost could only summon Marines if they'd been loaded into transport pods at the Covert Ops Center.

So it's not any different than the dropship/shuttle/Overlord mechanic, except that in some cases you don't risk losing the units if the summoner's killed (i.e. Ghost.) Which is pretty cool.