Author Topic: Medieval II: Total War Video  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Kie99

Medieval II: Total War Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RgSKwBXBY&search=medieval%20total%20war

:jaw: He said Global Map.  Those graphics look insane.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Re: Medieval II: Total War Video
Can't really wait for this since i loved the last 3 games and this new one looks really cool
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Sweet. :D

By Global, no doubt they mean the known world back then. Ie. Mostly just Europe.

Offline Kie99

The game timeline goes past the discovery of America.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Damn, predates Australia by only hundred or two years.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Lets hope they sorted out ship combat though. It was the weakest part of Rome.

As for the global map. Well I definitely saw the east part of Russia at one point which given the size of the map means that Mongolia and China are probably in at least.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
As long as they don't portray us as a rebel faction like they did in the original, all is fine. :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I've heard some ugly rumours about them ruining the game. Like there are no years anymore, just turns. And there are other ugly historical inaccuarcies thet I have forced myself to forget. :(

Hopefully the game will be modable enought for the Total Realsim team to fix it. They did great work with Rome Total Realisim. :yes:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

How is swapping years for abstract turns bad? AFAIK there'll still be the 3 medieval periods - all it means is that there might be more or less time to win the game. I'll agree that RTR made Rome much, much better though. *goes back to playing it*

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
How is swapping years for abstract turns bad?
It is if you happen to be a realism freak(ish).
And years sound better in the game. "The great battle of Chinon - Turn 21" or "Faction leader dies - Adolf the Heinrich Slayer, turn 16 to turn 35"... I mean, WTF?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I've heard some ugly rumours about them ruining the game. Like there are no years anymore, just turns. And there are other ugly historical inaccuarcies thet I have forced myself to forget. :(

Hopefully the game will be modable enought for the Total Realsim team to fix it. They did great work with Rome Total Realisim. :yes:

I did a bit of Googling, and they've announced a Medieval: Total Realism project.

I've only played the RTW demo. I had heard that it wasn't that great. Perhaps I should pick it up. There's lots of games I should pick up.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
The Total War series are one of the best strategy collection of games out there. So far the best game was Medieval: Total War. Rome improved the graphics but I think the Medieval era is just better overall. Hence M2TW should be one of the best games out there startegy wise, if they pull it off. :)

Plus Creative Assembly is outposted in Brisbane Australia. :D
http://www.creative-assembly.com.au/

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I want Fantasy : Total War

Seriously though, nice looking game, I loved RTW so this will probably make it onto the list ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I always prefered Rome to Medieval. I guess I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the time period. I'd rather be recreating Alexander the Great's conquests or repeating Hannibal's crossing of the Alps than playing as Richard the Lionheart or dealing with the mystical regenerating pope (I once had him pop up in an 86% Muslim region. :wtf: )

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Rome: TW still stands as the only game that I've actually been able to just sit and watch in open mouthed awe.....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It also has provided me with some absolute comedy gold. Watching an invading Brutii army challenge mine and then run for the hills once they saw what they had actually chosen to tangle with still remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The entire army just took one look and ran. I couldn't even catch most of them :)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Graphics look great, but looks like it's just a graphical upgrade for Rome, with the inclusion of a little bit more varied setting.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
That may well be but if Medieval II is to Rome what Medieval I was to Shogun it will still me a masterpiece.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It also has provided me with some absolute comedy gold. Watching an invading Brutii army challenge mine and then run for the hills once they saw what they had actually chosen to tangle with still remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The entire army just took one look and ran. I couldn't even catch most of them :)

It's pretty funny attacking the smaller Gaulish (etc) settlements, too; you march a big wodge of ground troops towards the gate, they charge forward to attack, shower them with arrows, they run away again, hit the gate again, they run back, shower of arrows, they run away.......  it's almost cruel :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's probably the major flaw in the AI. It's quite happy to sit there and let you pelt them with arrows. Rebels are the worst for this.

Although one of my favourite moments was when halfway through pre-battle manouvers an enemy general decided to charge my Triarii. With 20 cavalry. While the rest of his army looked on and did nothing.

I have no idea what he was thinking really.

I think one of the best things about the game is the historic battles. Trebia is probably my favourite. Charging elephants vs roman legions :D I'm seriously tempted by the Alexander the Great add on :) I'll have to check the reviews. :)