Author Topic: General Feature Requests  (Read 3386 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
General Feature Requests
If possible could dual-joystick compatibility be added? i'm a big fan of FreeSpace, and the only real issue i have is that in order to use both my joystick and throttle i need to set it to recognize the throttle and use a program (like Joymouse) to use my joystick in place of the mouse, limiting it to 3 keys.

By what i read, this doesn't seem to be mentioned so i figured the thought couldn't hurt

Others add their requests too, of cource
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: General Feature Requests
use ppjoy for now. ppjoy should come with a program called ppjoyjoy that lets you mix two joysticks into a virtual joystick. it somewhat limits you to 16 buttons total. you could use ppjoy with glovepie and get a little bit more control over things.

multiple joysticks is something thats been asked for many times over the past decade. main holdups have been pilot files which are being tested now. the best solution is to use sdl on windows instead of direct input. meh, il let the coders fill in the gaps, needless to say it will be awhile.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
while 16 keys may limit me slightly, those are way better solutions then my current set up, thanks much

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you might be able to get more with glovepie, at the very least be able to bind things to keystrokes. it still requires ppjoy for its virtual joystick though. glove pie is pretty awesome, it lets you convert almost any kind of input to almost any other kind of input.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:31:12 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is nontrivial.  Very, very nontrivial.

In fact, I think it's actually impossible without the soon-to-be-finalized pilot code.  And you know how long that took.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Pilot code is coming though, so (as a guy with 3 device HOTAS set) I'd appreciate if somebody started to work on implementing multiple controllers.
Also, slide axes (like in TMP), which would allow you to control amount of vertical and lateral thrust using an additional joystick or trackpoint mouse (also usefull for HOTAS users who have radar cursor manipulators).

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
as an update, i couldn't get ppjoy (and thus glovepie) working, but have found a different program, "joystick 2 mouse" that allows for up to 32 keys (includeing shift+key shortcuts) from the mouse and keyboard to be used on the joystick

that should give the joystick plenty of keys while the throttle is selected by the launcher

still open to other programs that'll work though, i doubt joystick2mouse is the best one out there
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:54:40 pm by KyadCK »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Pilot code is coming though, so (as a guy with 3 device HOTAS set) I'd appreciate if somebody started to work on implementing multiple controllers.
I think we all would.  The question is whether it will happen.  Judging by the difficulty of the problem, combined with the shortage of coder time, I'm predicting that this is unlikely.

Do you happen to know any coders who are familiar with device I/O or SDL?  That would probably greatly affect your odds of seeing this implemented.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Unfortunately I don't, at least not in this community (my father is a programmer, but he doesn't ussualy work in C).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have a friend who has been asking a lot about the SCP, he's looking for something to bolster his resume.  He's done a lot of embedded C, so SDL might be something he's seen or can pick up easily.  I'll keep an eye on this.  We still have that Haptic code to get integrated too, you know :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
as an update, i couldn't get ppjoy (and thus glovepie) working, but have found a different program, "joystick 2 mouse" that allows for up to 32 keys (includeing shift+key shortcuts) from the mouse and keyboard to be used on the joystick

that should give the joystick plenty of keys while the throttle is selected by the launcher

still open to other programs that'll work though, i doubt joystick2mouse is the best one out there

this is probibly because you are using a version of windows that requires driver signing (particularly 64 bit). you can put windows into a test mode where it can run unsigned drivers. which will make ppjoy work. you have to enter "Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON" into run and reboot.

I think we all would.  The question is whether it will happen.  Judging by the difficulty of the problem, combined with the shortage of coder time, I'm predicting that this is unlikely.

Do you happen to know any coders who are familiar with device I/O or SDL?  That would probably greatly affect your odds of seeing this implemented.

i use sdl for a lot of input code in other programs that ive worked on. im just not too familiar with the existing input code, and will probably take another look after the pilot code hits trunk.

Nuke's Scripting SVN