Author Topic: Brightness Issues  (Read 1961 times)

Thank you guys for this!!! I have always dreamed of piloting a viper. I would like to make a donation when I can actually play the game.

I would like to report a bug regarding the brightness controls. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8. If I adjust the brightness, much of space and the shadows in the game turn yellow and/or red. I took screenshots to show you what I mean, but when I opened the files they looked normal. I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Also, do you guys have a recommended key configuration for macbook pros (no joystick/numpad)?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:57:55 pm by Swifty »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
While I'm sure the team appreciates your offer, the project is strictly not-for-profit, so they don't accept donations. :)

I have not been able to reproduce this bug on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 with an nVidia GeForce GT 330M 256MB. Could you post a debug log? See these instructions, with the slight adjustment that you select a debug build from the "FS2 Open executable:" drop down box in the launcher's Basic Settings tab. The "owse" button is supposed to be "Browse..."; hopefully that'll get fixed in the next patch.

As for MBP controls, a lot of people like using mouse+keyboard, but if you want to go keyboard-only, here are some changes I've tried making to the default controls:

Bank left - 8
Bank right - 0
Pitch forward - 9
Pitch backward - L
Turn left - I
Turn right - P

Right thrust - Alt-P
Left thrust - Alt-I
Up thrust - Alt-9
Down thrust - Alt-L

Cycle forward primary weapon - Shift-1
Cycle secondary weapon bank - Shift-2
Cycle secondary weapon firing rate - Alt-Shift-2

And then make other changes from there as needed. I'm not sure how well those keybindings for side thrusters wlll work, and given how important the thrusters are, you might want to try out a different set of bindings if those don't work well.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Looks like L is bound to "Toggle high HUD contrast" by default. Maybe just bind that command to Shift-L instead if you want to use it. You wouldn't use the command much, if at all, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:15:24 pm by jg18 »

Well thank you for the response, jg18. I will give those a try.

Edit: I will try to post a debug log soon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:04:00 pm by Gualterus Albus »

Ok, so I believe this is the correct file that you guys want. I loaded up the game and started the first mission after the tutorial. Before launching out of the Battlestar I changed the brightness in game (by going through the in game options) and moved it to 1.10. I launched out of the Battlestar, flew around in a yellow space for a bit, fired some rounds, and then quit. I noticed that even if you change the brightness in the options menu from the main startup screen that it also changes this all to a yellow space. Some of the pilot profile pictures in the background turn to yellow and you can see a yellow/red/green in between the spacing of the buttons on the main screen. I hope this, combined with my log file, will help. If I don't change the brightness, everything seems to run alright.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
That is indeed the file.

I misunderstood what you said about brightness before (I thought you meant brightness as controlled by OS X), and I have been able to easily reproduce this bug in both 10.6.8 and 10.7.4, including the part about all screenshots looking normal, as you mentioned. Since I'm not a graphics coder, I can't investigate it further, but hopefully someone who can will, and having your debug log should help.

Could you also make an "improved fs2_open.log" and attach that as well? You can follow the instructions for it that are in the same post I mentioned before, with one change: put the debug_filter.cfg file in the same folder where you found the debug log, rather than in Diaspora/data/.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

EDIT: I made an improved "fs2_open.log" myself using my iMac running 10.7.4 by starting Mission 1, flying through the launch tube, changing the brightness in-game to 1.10, going back to the mission, then exiting the mission and the game. The resulting log was so large (7.9 MB!) that I had to compress it before I could attach it. I tried turning off the more advanced graphics options (FXAA, post processing, soft particles), but it didn't make a difference.

EDIT 2: Also found that turning off all flags didn't change anything, but that if I turned to face the sun, the problem went away, although when I turned away from the sun, the problem came back.

EDIT 3: Confirmed that even with the default Diaspora flags, turning to face the sun temporarily fixed the problem.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:43:49 pm by jg18 »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
On the keys, patch 1 will have a more WSAD and small keyboard friendly set of default bindings.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
GA, I asked about the brightness issue, and the cause isn't obvious, and it's probably not easy to fix. Is there something wrong with the default brightness setting? I've played on OS X and Linux and have never felt the need to adjust the brightness (actually forgot that setting existed), but that's just me.

No, it isn't a drastic issue. I like things a tad brighter but I can see just fine with the normal setting. It was just an issue I saw and figured I'd report it. =)