Author Topic: Crash in Ubuntu 13.10  (Read 2888 times)

Offline kdelwat

I've followed the instructions to install, and can run the game from wxLauncher. However, after inputting my callsign, any button I press crashes the game with an exit code of -1. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Do you have an Intel video card? If so, then try disabling shader support; in the wxlauncher Advanced tab, Troubleshooting -> Disable GLSL (shader) support.

If you don't have Intel video, or that option doesn't help, then Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post..
(and just substitute Diaspora for Freespace Open)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline kdelwat

I'm using Intel graphics, and I've turned of shaders. Still had the same problem. My error log is at http://pastebin.com/7y43GW6X.

I did install the patch before building the game for the first time. Could this be a problem?

Offline kdelwat

I just tried reinstalling without the patch and I got the same problem.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It looks like you might be out of luck. Diaspora doesn't support Intel graphics cards, in some cases turning off shaders has helped, but it doesn't look like it's helped in your case. Even a more recent version of the FSO engine won't help, as there's a number of Intel / Linux people having problems with that as well, and we haven't found a solution yet, sorry :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Hellzed

Now, Intel drivers are advertising opengl 3.0 support. What version of opengl is fs2_open supposed to be compliant with ?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
err, I believe absolute minimum is 1.2, but we have shaders that require something between 3 and 4, I'm not sure of the exact version. This problem (and all the others like it that have cropped up) don't seem to be directly related to OpenGL version though. More like an issue on ubuntu 13.10 with an Intel video card...
----
----

Offline Echelon9

Although support for Intel integrated graphics has been patchy at best, there has been a recent influx of crash reports on Ubuntu 13.10 (64bit) with this hardware.

Investigating to see if there is a recent change in the underlying platform which can be worked around.

Please follow Mantis #2988 for updates.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've added a command line flag to disable the use Pixel Buffer objects.  I suspect that there's a bug in the Intel Linux drivers, or they aren't quite following the OpenGL specification.

Anyway: could you please try compiling & running this code to see if that works around the issue?
https://github.com/niffiwan/fs2open.github.com/commits/mantis2988

You will need to set "-disable_pbo" on the command line, or via the launcher (Advanced -> Troubleshooting -> "Disable OpenGL Pixel Buffer Objects")

edit: the workaround has been committed to trunk in r10268.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:50:09 am by niffiwan »
----
----