Author Topic: War in Heaven Gameplay Trailer  (Read 37602 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: War in Heaven Gameplay Trailer
Which is itself arguably untrue since that wasn't presented well, if it was presented at all. I certainly don't remember that bit. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You probably caught it your first time through.

As others have said, War in Heaven looks to be made of win if we can expect this kind of action in every mission. The flak effects in particular had me drooling. Also, dialogue is excellent. A few improvements could be made here and there, naturally, but I loved the combat chatter. Really effective in making the pilots sound more human.

I do have one question: "Desperta Ferro". Why that particular phrase for a battle cry? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You probably caught it your first time through.

No, I more or less viewed everything to do with Eriana as its own little cul-de-sac from the main story. Not purposeless, it let us learn about our protagonist, but not necessarily relevant either.

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Lesbian pilots :)

I approve.
:lol:
I'm probably alone when I say that I could have done without the lesbians

If that's actually the case, I'll agree with you, Spoon.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I'm with you there as well, and I mean, they're in the same frakking squadron. Goes to show you how bloody poorly the UEF maintain discipline. :P

What was that with Uncle? Are they really relatives and if yes, shouldn't Noemi still refer to that person with either rank or name in a combat situation (considering their behaviour I assume she is a rookie and the "uncle" someone longer in the military and of higher rank)?
Yeah, I've made this point before as well, again, the UEF is a bloody peace-keeping force, they have no experience in system wide warfare, poor standards of discipline for a military (in some cases), and they basically have to mobilize the entire of Sol to save themselves from being overrun in a day. Discipline isn't one of their priorities (which in a real military, will end up correlating with bad things down the line.)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, I've made this point before as well, again, the UEF is a bloody peace-keeping force, they have no experience in system wide warfare, poor standards of discipline for a military (in some cases), and they basically have to mobilize the entire of Sol to save themselves from being overrun in a day. Discipline isn't one of their priorities (which in a real military, will end up correlating with bad things down the line.)

Odd as it sounds, I think this might be more sane then we imagine. A fightercraft represents a comparatively very large amount of power. One FS bomber is capable of carrying in its secondary bays more raw destructive power than has been available over the course of most of humanity's wars. A FS fightercraft has an awesome amount of power, enough to level cities. A single Apollo would have sufficed to level Troy, destroy Caeser's legions, shatter the Golden Horde, and end both of the World Wars...and it could do all this with a single load of secondaries. I am not at all exaggerating here.

You do not want to antagonize someone who has that kind of power. Draconian discipline of people who are regularly given the ability to level cities rarely helps. So as crazy as it sounds to us that the UEF allows it, we already know that you can't keep people from sleeping together despite our own rules on fraternization, and who your parents or relatives are does matter in how people assess you. The best thing we can do today is discipline the parties involved if it becomes a problem with their jobs; we forbid but they do it anyways and perhaps always will. Maybe the UEF has skipped the intermediate step of forbidding and moved straight to the "we don't care but there will disciplinary action if it causes problems" one.

A Feddie Story

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Having a lesbian player-character is a pretty bold move. There's a lot that could go wrong if it's done poorly, but I think it's in good hands. Would anyone be complaining if what's-her-face was a man? There's nothing to stop a gay romance from being just as meaningful as a straight one.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Odd as it sounds, I think this might be more sane then we imagine. A fightercraft represents a comparatively very large amount of power. One FS bomber is capable of carrying in its secondary bays more raw destructive power than has been available over the course of most of humanity's wars. A FS fightercraft has an awesome amount of power, enough to level cities. A single Apollo would have sufficed to level Troy, destroy Caeser's legions, shatter the Golden Horde, and end both of the World Wars...and it could do all this with a single load of secondaries. I am not at all exaggerating here.

You do not want to antagonize someone who has that kind of power. Draconian discipline of people who are regularly given the ability to level cities rarely helps. So as crazy as it sounds to us that the UEF allows it, we already know that you can't keep people from sleeping together despite our own rules on fraternization, and who your parents or relatives are does matter in how people assess you. The best thing we can do today is discipline the parties involved if it becomes a problem with their jobs; we forbid but they do it anyways and perhaps always will. Maybe the UEF has skipped the intermediate step of forbidding and moved straight to the "we don't care but there will disciplinary action if it causes problems" one.
Well I guess you have to put it into context first, though I see what you're saying. In the realm of 27th Century space combat, one fightercraft could be viewed as a comparatively small piece of the puzzle, to be reap maximum reward from such an asset, in must be used in conjunction effectively with the rest of one's military. Sure, a single Uriel, unopposed, could possibly level the entire world today as we know it, but in the 27th Century, this is nothing in comparison to the Solaris Class Destroyers, and whatnot.

It's not that you want to antagonize your pilots, but without a discipline system that upholds esprit-de-corps and maintains an effective fighting unit, your "squadron", is going to turn into sixteen individuals in expensive deathtraps fast. Fair enough, if it's not a problem, don't worry, but when you're talking about a Squadron on the frontline, this is a problem. You cannot have pilots favouring one another in combat, and giving each other preferential treatment when something far greater than their lives is at stake. Aircrew jobs by nature are hard enough, giving our pilots even tougher decisions in combat is going to drain an individual's morale ("Should I assist the pilot I have sexual relationship with, or the other pilot I don't have a sexual relationship with.") As much as the media likes to portray Fighter Pilots as cowboys, they're not. Fighter Pilots are expensive to train, thus, you want to squeeze maximum benefit out of each and every one of them, a loose disciplinary system creates an environment lacking esprit-de-corps, individuals who can do a half-assed job and get away with it, and a Squadron in which the Chain-Of-Command is not followed. All of these are negative on the frontline. You can't have a "military", in which people can do whatever the hell they want, because that's not how it works when the finger hits the trigger.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Awesome video.  Can't wait to play!

What does the Maul do?  I only saw a few hits with it, and it didn't seem to do much, which makes me think disrupter-type weapon.  Accurate assumption?

Seeing as I'll most likely have my own computer (not a family one) and equipment, can I volunteer for the inevitable VA drive?

EDIT:  Exclamation marks and question marks are not interchangable.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm not speaking for the rest of the team here, but personally, I don't think VA-ing is going to be a priority anytime soon. :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
But it's inevitable. :P  You can't NOT VA this thing

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That's true... Now... Where to find two women to voice Simms/Laporte. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dilmah, as a team member, I wish you would not make long posts that make it evident you have not played the campaign. *sigh*

The points you're worrying about are tackled pretty explicitly in the story.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I wasn't talking about how it was handled in the campaign, but the issue in general. I mean, if every boy and girl in the UEF was getting more sex than the stereotypical American teenager, we wouldn't have a campaign to tell, would we? :P

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
However strange it was to see the ships do twitch-turns and everything devolve into a chatoic brawl, the Hecate fighting (effectively!) with it's side and ass beam cannons is very nice to watch. I've always considered that ass-turret worthless, but you managed to find a positioning where it can actually work in combination with its other beams.  :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well I guess you have to put it into context first, though I see what you're saying. In the realm of 27th Century space combat, one fightercraft could be viewed as a comparatively small piece of the puzzle, to be reap maximum reward from such an asset, in must be used in conjunction effectively with the rest of one's military. Sure, a single Uriel, unopposed, could possibly level the entire world today as we know it, but in the 27th Century, this is nothing in comparison to the Solaris Class Destroyers, and whatnot.

A single Uriel could still level in the entire world in 27th Century. A 5000-megaton Harbinger's environmental effects remain unchanged; one significant FS bomb is enough to wipe out a city, a large one could take out an entire seaboard of the US, and we've got no evidence a city has gotten massively tougher by FS-time. In our own lifetime we've actually seen the reverse take place as we've moved away from stone as a building material.

Pissing off your pilots carries a great deal of danger in the FreeSpace setting. There are too many of them and they are called on to use their weapons in situations too fluid to tightly control it the way we do modern nuclear weapons, yet they wield more destructive power than the nuclear arsenals of modern nations. Even if they only launch a single missile, that's still going to be several kilotons of raw destructive power at the least. That'll take down a few blocks minimum, I don't care what your building materials are, they're civilian buildings.

It's not that you want to antagonize your pilots, but without a discipline system that upholds esprit-de-corps and maintains an effective fighting unit, your "squadron", is going to turn into sixteen individuals in expensive deathtraps fast. Fair enough, if it's not a problem, don't worry, but when you're talking about a Squadron on the frontline, this is a problem. You cannot have pilots favouring one another in combat, and giving each other preferential treatment when something far greater than their lives is at stake. Aircrew jobs by nature are hard enough, giving our pilots even tougher decisions in combat is going to drain an individual's morale ("Should I assist the pilot I have sexual relationship with, or the other pilot I don't have a sexual relationship with.") As much as the media likes to portray Fighter Pilots as cowboys, they're not. Fighter Pilots are expensive to train, thus, you want to squeeze maximum benefit out of each and every one of them, a loose disciplinary system creates an environment lacking esprit-de-corps, individuals who can do a half-assed job and get away with it, and a Squadron in which the Chain-Of-Command is not followed. All of these are negative on the frontline. You can't have a "military", in which people can do whatever the hell they want, because that's not how it works when the finger hits the trigger.

Sparta and the Theban Sacred Band would both like to discuss your assumptions with you. We're clever monkeys, we humans, and we've worked out how to make such relationships work for us in building the unit up, or at least kept them from causing problems, before. Similarly, your comment about loose discipline creating a lack of espirt-de-corps does not follow; it's possible for a unit to have plenty of elan but no discipline.

Also, I think you willfully ignored my point that we can't stop this kind of behavior now even in well-disciplined militaries, yet as whole it does not do great damage to the the warfighting efficency of the units involved; we pounce on it because it could but in the end we're fighting a losing battle as long as our soldiers aren't robots. As long as real discipline, taking orders and carrying them out, is maintained, what does it matter who screws who? If the UEF can train its people to handle that sort of environment, which is most likely quite possible, then more power to them; they're probably better off for it than the modern setup.

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
A single Uriel could still level in the entire world in 27th Century. A 5000-megaton Harbinger's environmental effects remain unchanged; one significant FS bomb is enough to wipe out a city, a large one could take out an entire seaboard of the US, and we've got no evidence a city has gotten massively tougher by FS-time. In our own lifetime we've actually seen the reverse take place as we've moved away from stone as a building material.

Pissing off your pilots carries a great deal of danger in the FreeSpace setting. There are too many of them and they are called on to use their weapons in situations too fluid to tightly control it the way we do modern nuclear weapons, yet they wield more destructive power than the nuclear arsenals of modern nations. Even if they only launch a single missile, that's still going to be several kilotons of raw destructive power at the least. That'll take down a few blocks minimum, I don't care what your building materials are, they're civilian buildings.
That's fair enough, but these craft are mostly employed in situations where such an event is unlikely to take place. And fair enough, they have the potential to level something important, but who's to say these guys are actually going to do such a thing? They don't recruit the closest person they see for aircrew, the selection process is quite rigorous in nature, and if someone can't take the stress of combat, they're most likely going to fail the recruitment process. Combat is stressful, so we recruit people who can handle it, and employ strategies to deal with Combat Stress (Units being rotated from the front-lines every 30 days etc.) And besides, psychological support is a must on the frontlines, and I'd imagine it'd be there in spades by the 27th Century. Someone getting pissed off enough to level a planet should not happen when we're talking about people who've been picked because they can survive this kind of stuff (among many other things).

Sparta and the Theban Sacred Band would both like to discuss your assumptions with you. We're clever monkeys, we humans, and we've worked out how to make such relationships work for us in building the unit up, or at least kept them from causing problems, before. Similarly, your comment about loose discipline creating a lack of espirt-de-corps does not follow; it's possible for a unit to have plenty of elan but no discipline.
Well with the TSB, do we know if lovers favoured one another over the rest of their unit? It may have been their individual ability as soldiers which made them effective, rather than their unit cohesion, the latter being essential in modern warfare. Esprit-de-corps is a small part, but it is one of the aims of discipline in the military, I mean, the stereotypical Marine doesn't shout OORAH because his platoon is a bunch of partyboys, discipline helps foster the pride of a professional unit and maintain that professional status.

Also, I think you willfully ignored my point that we can't stop this kind of behavior now even in well-disciplined militaries, yet as whole it does not do great damage to the the warfighting efficency of the units involved; we pounce on it because it could but in the end we're fighting a losing battle as long as our soldiers aren't robots. As long as real discipline, taking orders and carrying them out, is maintained, what does it matter who screws who? If the UEF can train its people to handle that sort of environment, which is most likely quite possible, then more power to them; they're probably better off for it than the modern setup.
Oh sorry, I didn't "willfully ignore" it as such, but when you take the hard-line in the military, at least it acts as a deterrent for that kind of behaviour. It's better that you discourage that kind of behaviour rather than condone it, in my opinion. Well it's not the physical act that's the issue here (although it can be an issue on the frontlines where no contraception is available), but the feelings that go with it. Those feelings of attachment or lust, love, and whatnot, have the power to interrupt the real discipline. It's situations like where the pilot has to act on his own initiative, (sorry for self quote)
"Should I assist the pilot I have sexual relationship with, or the other pilot I don't have a sexual relationship with."
You have the notion to protect the one you're intimate with, rather than the most logical action. So the UEF can train its people to **** one another, but lose all feelings of attachment in battle? Fair enough, that may be possible, but in combat learned behaviour gives way to instinct, and you have the potential of all that biting you in the ass.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The crosshair is also Fury's touch. We have a custom interface for menus and all, and it's really gorgeous, but not a custom HUD yet.
The crosshair was put there by The E.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I shoulda known!

This ongoing discipline debate is made more complex since the three main UEF military organs take very different approaches to the issue of pilot psychology.