Author Topic: FR: Severanti@Meridian TO: All 13th Battlegroup Personnel  (Read 1774 times)

FR: Severanti@Meridian TO: All 13th Battlegroup Personnel
To the officers and crew of the GTD Meridian, this is Admiral Severanti. We have indeed returned home to Sol, birthplace of humanity. Birthplace of our culture and everything we have striven to protect over the last 50 years. The importance of this system to both the government and citizens of the GTVA is impossible to understate, which is why it pains me so to communicate the following information to you.

The interplanetary alliance known as the GTA is no more, abolished in a cloud of foolish optimism and monetary gain. Our brothers and sisters became comfortable with their illusion of safety, falling victim to the empty words of politicians and oppurtunistic military officials who relished in the power that a temporary void of peace would bestow upon them.

They did not see the crimson glow of the Destroyers in skys of Capella as they returned for a bloodthirsty reckoning. Nor did they bare witness to a star being swatted aside as if it were but a pestering fly. They did not stare down the annhiliators of countless civilizations without flinching, even if it was but a temporary setback for a satanic will that contradicts the very definition of reason as we strive to understand it.

Neolithic human nature, it seems, has once again reared its ugly head. The hope that reason, logic, fear and a will to persevere would spark a dedicated and determined march upon new principals and goals, as it has sparked us, has proven both unfounded and false.

We have indeed not been welcomed with open arms, for we represent far more then just a reunion of perpetually divided families. We represent newfound responsibility born of a hostile cosmos. We have opened the gate to their private garden, and they want no part in the responsibilities of facing down the Destroyers. They want no part in our history, nor do they want to embrace the suffering and struggle we have endured in their name. For them, ignorance is bliss, but for the battle tested, it is but a trail to annihilation.

A conflict is indeed what no sane man desires. It leads to more suffering, to more angst, to more death. But every man and woman who knows what it took to persevere eighteen years ago, every man and woman who has heard the tales, who knows someone that without thinking, stared down unknowable evil, knows the dangers of idling.

As such, it has been deemed necassary to liberate our long lost brethren from the idealogical tyrrany which would otherwise bring their inevitable downfall. Our shining gem, our home, our Terra, is no longer a far away and mystical land. It no longer lives in the tales of our grandfathers and in decade-long comm broadcasts left for us to piece together. No, our genesis demands intervention for the sake of our homeland, for our continued prosperity, and for our continued safety.

You are warriors. Every Crewman First Class, to every grizzled Technical Sergeant, to every newly commissioned  Ensign, to every battle-tested squadron commander, has a responsibility laid down in the oath of service. I ask only that you look upon that oath in the same manner as those who gave their lives eighteen years ago did.

The coming days and weeks are filled with uncertainty. Experience has lended to me the knowledge that that conflict is ripe with constants. You must have faith in the bonds that exist within the confines of this glorious ship. Trust in your fellow shipmates is paramount. Reliance on your training is key. Having faith in yourselves, your superiors and those under you is what seperates you from any enemy.

All personnell have had their personal databases updated with information pertaining to the Sol theatre. I suggest you all set aside time in the coming hours to familiarize yourselves with the environment we will be operating in. The last 50 years has seen turbulent times in our long-lost system.

This is Admiral Severanti, signing off.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FR: Severanti@Meridian TO: All 13th Battlegroup Personnel
 :yes:

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

This text explains why I like Cyrus Sev...sorry, ADMIRAL Cyrus Severanti.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline -Norbert-

Well... I don't know. It doesn't really sound like a guy spending the mext year and a bit with a grinding war of attrition. Much too pompous. I always imagined him to be far more matter-of-factly and telling less outright lies.
We have indeed not been welcomed with open arms
Welll... what did you expect in answer to "surrender or die"? A hug?
idealogical tyrrany
The tyranny of allowing people to choose their own faith? Forcing people to think for themselfs?
No, our genesis demands intervention for the sake of our homeland, for our continued prosperity, and for our continued safety.
Okay, this one is true. OUR prosperity, OUR safety.... us being the GTVA, not Humanity as a whole, seeing how they destroy the UEFs prosperity.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice and stirring piece of propaganda speech, just not something I expect to hear from Severanti. Though it would fit my mental image of Steele quite well.

There is one line I really don't get though:
Experience has lended to me the knowledge that that conflict is ripe with constants.
What is this supposed to mean?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
This is called propaganda. What did you expect ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Well... I don't know. It doesn't really sound like a guy spending the mext year and a bit with a grinding war of attrition. Much too pompous. I always imagined him to be far more matter-of-factly and telling less outright lies.
Keep in mind that this is his address to his crew. The primary motivation behind this speech isn't being truthful, it is more or less combining facts with sensationalism to spark those under his command to fight. It is propaganda.
We have indeed not been welcomed with open arms
Welll... what did you expect in answer to "surrender or die"? A hug?
Again, see above. He is inspiring his men at a time where war is about to break out.
idealogical tyrrany
The tyranny of allowing people to choose their own faith? Forcing people to think for themselfs?
Again, this is from the GTVA's perspective. Do you honestly expect a commander to tell his men that the war they are about to fight in is morally wrong and self-defeating?  Also keep in mind that Severanti himself is not likely among the highest ranking Admirals and may only have received his information from the highest staff officers. We aren't necessarily sure how far up the chain of command the lies go right?
No, our genesis demands intervention for the sake of our homeland, for our continued prosperity, and for our continued safety.
Okay, this one is true. OUR prosperity, OUR safety.... us being the GTVA, not Humanity as a whole, seeing how they destroy the UEFs prosperity.
He indeed posesses arrogance from the fact that only the GTVA experienced the Second Incursion. He believes nothing the UEF has experienced in the last 50 years validates their resistance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice and stirring piece of propaganda speech, just not something I expect to hear from Severanti. Though it would fit my mental image of Steele quite well.
It is indeed propaganda.

There is one line I really don't get though:
Experience has lended to me the knowledge that that conflict is ripe with constants.
What is this supposed to mean?
In war (conflict), there are many things (hence, it can be described as 'ripe') that never change (constants)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As something Severanti would say to his crews I think it's fairly accurate.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The Admiral's speech is deep! We must fight, and regain our lost Terra! To protect our home from Shivans once again! *insert majestic music* Getting all fired up in a fighter is bad, though...

Offline Nuclear1

The eyes of the world are upon you etc etc

:yes:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline -Norbert-

Shouldn't that be our worlds instead of the world, considering the GTVA is an interstellar alliance, consisting of several planets? :p
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:56:32 am by -Norbert- »

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Maybe the world in question is planet Earth.

Offline Nuclear1

Sorry, I should've been a little more clear in that last post.

The original post reminded me of this:
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of
1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline -Norbert-

I never much bothered to read historic speeches and rather concentrated more on the events, their reasons and consequences, so I really didn't know were the sentence came from.
In that context "the world" makes sense, though it would have sufficed to just say it's a quote from Eisenhower ;)