Author Topic: Thinking outside the box  (Read 19294 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Thinking outside the box
The Gefs probably have cruisers, it wouldn't be surprising for them to have salvaged and retrofitted some decommissioned Fenris/Leviathan, or even assembled a whole Sanctus or another early UEF cruiser class from salvaged spare parts. A faction able to disable a fully armed and retrofitted Hatshepsut-class destroyer might even have the resources to build their own cruiser classes from scratch.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The GEFs are no more, they where either vanquished or assimilated by the GTVA.
Do you really think all those GEF fighters that you fought where flown by GEF pilots?
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Sara-

Is that confirmed?

As for GEF cruisers, I'd more imagine in the fashion of modified transports, a la Millenium Falcon.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Do you really think all those GEF fighters that you fought where flown by GEF pilots?

Yep. The GTVA isn't in control of the system, and the GEF's managed to survive for 50 years against a clearly superior foe. While the UEF isn't known for playing hardball, the reaction of UEF pilots to GEFs suggests that whatever sympathy they had was long since exhausted. I have a suspicion that a future plot point might hinge on the GEF's fractious nature playing more into UEF hands.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Keep in mind that GEFs are prety much partisans, who are known to cause a lot of trouble for superior armed forces (for example, today in Iraq or Afghanistan).
They hide among civilian population, store their equipment in Kuiper belt asteroids and hidden bases. UEF would have crushed GEFs if they only had a target to strike.
Every GEF Fenris or Leviathan has most likely been downed by the time the war with GTVA begun, same goes for anything big enough to be tracked down and bombed.

Yeah, I cant see they Gefs operating anything larger than an armed transport, maybe one or two cruisers. They've lasted this long by being difficult to hit, not by being a large military force.

Offline -Norbert-

As far as I followed the discussions, there was only one group of Gefs present in the WiH1 campaign. And only this one cooperated with the GTVA, while the other Gef clans (for lack of better term) are hitting both UEF and GTVA in their raids.

And I suppose there are also some that just try to stay under the radar, untill the war is resolved, but this last point is just speculation on my part.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You could hardly be wronger. The Gefs have been supplied for 18 months by both the UEF and the Tevs, both trying to use them against the others. Some Gefs cells are working with the Tevs, some are working with the Feds, some are working for neither, either keeping a low profile or striking targets of opportunity on both sides, and some are probably just giving themselves as guns to hire. None of them are directly under the Tev or Fed orders, they're just a wild card they try to influence the best they can. We're talking about a vast, fractioned faction of which a single cell nearly managed to capture a top-of-the-line Hatshepsut by itself.

EDIT : Also, I might add that given the sensible nature of the previously mentioned operation (if what happenned there was to be known, Steele could loose his rank or even be sentenced to death for high treason, conspiracy against Vasudans, for hiding critical intel and organizing a direct assault against critical Allied assets, this could even start a second T-V war if the Zods decided to take it bad), Steele couldn't afford to crew the Scimitars you see in that mission with SOC pilots, and I don't think he even has enough SOC at his disposal on the whole Sol theater for this. We're talking about dozens of fighters here. It's much easier, cheaper and safer to silence a few Gefs than your highly skilled fellow SOC pilots.

Every GEF Fenris or Leviathan has most likely been downed by the time the war with GTVA begun, same goes for anything big enough to be tracked down and bombed.
The Tevs managed to hide a Titan-class carrier for a good half of WiH. This is a much bigger target to hide, especially for people who don't know the battlefield that well. I don't see why would the Gefs have any problem to hide a flotilla of cruisers or larger, since they know the terrain, and most of the UEF sensor infrastructure has been down for a while anyway.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:58:44 am by MatthTheGeek »

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline -Norbert-

But that was during the war, with - as you said yourself- the UEFs sensor net being only partially functional. Before the GTVA arrived in Sol, it would have been far harder to hide a cruiser, though not entirely impossible I guess.

But if they aquired/build a cruiser during the war, their chances of keeping it under the radar are probably quite good, since the UEF would divert the resources usually in place to detect and take out the Gef, towards the war with the GTVA.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If it was that easy to detect a cruiser out of the blue, the Gefs wouldn't be able to hide any of their bases at all. As long as they don't attack with the cruisers, there is nothing for the UEF to track.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:53:02 am by MatthTheGeek »

Offline -Norbert-

Gef bases and colonies are build inside hollowed out asteroids as far as I know. Those are naturally hard to find within an asteroid field, because they don't look out of place. Even the port entrance can be camouflaged by sticking rocks on the outside of the gate.
A starship on the other hand, stands out quite a bit more, unless it stays inside such hidden bases all the time.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

(It can't be that hard to hide a cruiser)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A cruiser that isn't doing anything flashy like jumping around a lot is really easy to hide.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.
Some people's perspective is small, sadly. You can stash a Colossus, a bunch of Raynors or even a few million Ursa in one spot in Sol, and they'll never find them if they don't do anything. "Just happened to stumble on them" doesn't occur like a miracle. Maybe god's luck, but you'll never be lucky enough to just exit subspace to somewhere you don't intend to go (without plot devices) and find that bunch of idle ships.

Offline Qent

Gef bases and colonies are build inside hollowed out asteroids as far as I know.
Tangent, but it's comets IIRC.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Remember how hard it was for the UEF to find the Agincourt without the help of an inside agent. Fair enough, it was after most of the UEF sensor infrastructure was nuked, and it doesn't stay in place very long, but it's still a ship around which a fair amount of subspace traffic happens.

This is much harder to hide than a few cruisers hidden in asteroid belts, near their bases, where they don't need to jump at all. Given the efficiency of the Gefs with bare fighters (did they needed any cruiser to disable the Hattie ? of course not), I expect the Gefs to use cruisers only as main defence for their hidden bases and last-resort firepower for emergency situations.

EDIT: Also, remember how hard for the GTVA it was to find the Wargods between the capture of the Agincourt and Aristeia. You don't need much effort to hide something in space, as long as subspace traffic is low or unexistant.

Offline -Norbert-

Gef bases and colonies are build inside hollowed out asteroids as far as I know.
Tangent, but it's comets IIRC.
Wether you live in an asteriod or comet won't make any impact on nature, which is the reason for the Gefs to not live on planets.
And to live on something that regularly crosses the asteroid belt at high speed sounds like a rather bad idea. Much better to settle inside an asteroids, hidden among other asteroids and in a far more stable orbit.

And I know that space is incredibly massive, but we are talking about a system that has a massive amount of traffic going on, and had a very well developed and deployed sensor net. They were mining in the belt, patroling it, had sensors in place, ect.
Now I know it's not impossible to slip a few cruisers through all that, but the Gefs surely won't turn up with a fleet of cruisers all of a sudden.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:47:41 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There are Oort and Kuiper objects that never enter the inner solar system.

Offline -Norbert-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an object only called a comet, if it get's close enough to the sun to get a "tail" at some point of it's orbit?
While there are objects beyond the asteroid belt, they wouldn't be called comets.

Offline Aramil

• Can you smell fear?
There are Oort and Kuiper objects that never enter the inner solar system.

I agree. and a lot of empty-ish space out after that so quite easy to have something hidden, although I am sure it would still be nothing to large, modded transports/carriers, maybe a few real fighting machines.

To large and sophisticated a fleet would of draw some serious attention at some point.
"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most."