Author Topic: CRISIS OPERATIONS CENTER  (Read 45214 times)

CRISIS OPERATIONS CENTER
A person of unknown affiliation operating under the moniker 'truth' has targeted this community. Their aim is to spread disinformation and confusion. We do not, at this time, have a clear description of their motives or political affiliation. But we know that the best defense is a clear, honest dialogue with all of you.

Here at the office we take this situation very seriously. We have tasked personnel and technical assets to help sanitize the threat, contain overspill, and help this community stay information-safe. Unfortunately, due to strategic pressure I'm sure you're all well aware of, we have to rely on your assistance to complete our objectives: the arrest of 'truth' and the identification of their employers, if any.

We'll do our best to keep you updated on the situation.

current activity

GRANITE HUNTER team status
team goals: obtain trust keys. return to truth with -attach[]. identify truth handler. you - join up as an analyst!
LTO on grid and covert

TRUTH cell status
team goals: obtain trust key. return to truth. identify GRANITE HUNTER LTO
cell handler on grid and covert

analysis teams

task force NEMESIS
understanding the shivans
0 relays online
0 hits generated

task force MORPHEUS
new threat axes
0 relays online
0 hits generated

task force HESTIA
restoring legitimate rule
0 relays online
0 hits generated

deep space/deep time context
know the terrain
0 relays online
0 hits generated

unassigned relays
waiting for tasking
9 relays online
9 hits generated

tactical briefing

Truth is leaking documents. Truth works through one of you: a HANDLER. They are among you now.

The handler gets trust keys from Truth, short phrases such as PLATEAU BUILDER or UBUNTU LIES. Community members seeking trust keys will reach out to the handler or their agents.

Whenever anyone PMs a trust key back to Truth, this creates a relay. When enough relays are active, Truth will upload a document.

You can help us locate Truth by getting trust keys, adding the suffix '-attach[]' to the end, and PMing them to Truth. This creates a trace relay. Trace relays help us locate and stop Truth. We have selected a Lead Tactical Operative from your community's volunteers. The LTO will help organize your efforts against Truth.

Those of you who don't want to get involved as operatives can still help! We need analysts to help us locate Truth. We are establishing a system to help organize and reward your efforts.

If the HANDLER can be identified from among the community members, GRANITE HUNTER may establish strike relays to expose them and obtain intelligence. Success may be tactically decisive. Failure will be politically problematic and may compromise secure information.

Truth's cell members may also organize strikes against the GRANITE HUNTER LTO, compromising their communications and intelligence. Failure may expose Truth cell members and information.

If the situation intensifies, additional technical means may be provided to the LTO.

incident log

Incident 1
'truth' disseminated a fragmentary and incoherent document to the community. We believe this was an error, perhaps a consequence of truth's attempts to build an interface with local systems. The document is not significant.

Incident 2
According to reports provided to GRANITE HUNTER, a user named 'phelamanga' provided a community member with a fabricated document. This document was transferred on IRC via an encrypted offsite. The community successfully contained this overspill and we are not aware of any further copies of the document in circulation. As a reward and performance incentive, GRANITE HUNTER authorized the release of Candidate 616A9707YBPTR.

Incident 3
UPLOAD ATTEMPT 1
Intercepted chatter and surveillance technical means indicate 'truth' has recruited community members to serve as covert relays. Relays allow 'truth' to anonymously move information. Three relays are now active. BritishShivans has reported one fabricated document and we expect more. Another was detected by GRANITE HUNTER operatives hidden in a bug report by FrikgFeek. A final component of the leak was reported by An4ximandros. Please assist us in containing this disinformation.

Incident 4
STRIKE 1
GRANITE HUNTER assets under the direction of the LTO have initiated a strike on someone they believe to be Truth's cell handler. Two community members have volunteered as strike relays. Success will reveal the name of the cell handler. Failure may be due to an incorrect target or due to a strike relay sabotaging the strike. The strike failed due to sabotage by one of the strike relays.

Incident 5
STRIKE 2
TRUTH cell assets are following up on the failed STRIKE 1 by attacking the exposed GRANITE HUNTER LTO [SCOTTY]. Two community members are serving as relays for a network attack intended to extract additional data and insert surveillance systems. In the event of success, this is a serious tactical threat. We are assuming a hardened posture and preparing to fall back and reassess. The strike succeeded, badly compromising GRANITE HUNTER and forcing a temporary fallback.

Incident 6
UPLOAD ATTEMPT 2
Operating through a new cell handler, Truth activated four covert relays to move another set of classified documents. Although the upload succeeded, one relay was compromised by a GRANITE HUNTER operative. The leaked documents have yet to be made public.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:03:50 pm by Granite Hunter »

Offline truth

Re: CRISIS OPERATIONS CENTER
once GTVI paid a design firm so much money for a logo animation that they have to use it on everything, everywhere, even though deep down we all realize it looks like a giant butt swallowing up the alliance insignia

come and get me

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I must admit I don't keep up with current events very well, but anyone who has to arrest truth and uses that much doublespeak does have a bit of a public image issue.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Alright, im completly confused right now.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I think I know who the players of this game are; but I cannot speak in public; this is a game of misinformation and manipulation, where both sides hear every word and can trace every name. Those who dare play tread quietly and carefully.

Game on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:03:51 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Can we help clarify anything for you? We want the whole community to feel informed and vigilant.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Yes. Provide me more detail... Names... allegiances... codes... (especially encryption codes, decryption codes) and so on...

I am sane any longer?  In case Im not, Ill leave my last message...

Code: [Select]
**** TRANSMISSION BEGIN - CODE NATO SECURED ENCRYPTION  ****

INDIA DELTA INDIA OSCAR TANGO

ECHO VICTOR ECHO ROMEO YANKEE OSCAR NOVEMBER ECHO

GOLF OSCAR NOVEMBER ECHO

NOVEMBER UNIFORM TANGO SIERRA

**** TRANSMISSION END - SECURED ENCRYPTION ****

idiot
everyone
gone
nuts

Offline T-Man

Can we help clarify anything for you? We want the whole community to feel informed and vigilant.
Yes as TheHound has said, a little more information about yourself and this situation would be appreciated; what is this information to do with? Who do you work for? Why are you so evasive about the situation? You're asking for a lot of trust from us, and yet we know so little about you, not to mention whom you may work for.

Given how easy it is to manipulate electronic media, and to articulate discourses through it to try and force a particular perspective, it's difficult to trust anyone at face value. I would hate for us to be hoodwinked into stopping someone warning us about something, or stopping them from whistleblowing some horrific act (like war crimes committed by an admiral, or that admiral lying to his people's closest allies, to give some wild examples). It's important in situations like this to ensure there are no restrictions on the information, so that we may be fully informed in our decision making.

We must, as you say, remain informed and vigilant Granite Hunter. I'm sure you understand; after all, if you have nothing to hide and are here to help us, then why hide anything from us? :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:01:01 pm by T-Man »

We represent the one legitimate, lawful authority in this jurisdiction. Our interest is the safety and security of the human race. We don't have to remind anyone here what happened the last time a subversive ideology gained traction in our lives — or how dearly it cost us to end that ideology's reign of terror.

When the enemy can't use ships or guns to attack us, they turn to lies. The truth is difficult and painful. Lies can be tailored to appeal to your fears and insecurities. That's why lies move so quickly, why we have to work together to stop them, and why stopping them hurts so much more than succumbing to them.

Surveillance technical means have detected anonymous traffic through local relays. Some of your fellow community members are, as we speak, helping to upload one of Truth's fabricated documents. Others are coordinating the effort to find new relays and working to identify our own agents. They are among you now.

Stand up to them. Stand together. We're here for you. If you believe you've been contacted by an agent of Truth, or if you have information that could help identify these agents, reach out to us immediately.

We are currently interested in any information on a user named phelamanga. What can you tell us? Is this a pseudonym of Truth?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Im not sure if this is really some elaborate plot, or some sort of high level trolling going on.

Offline T-Man

I can see no user by that name on this forum, nor a instance of that phrase outside of your postings Granite. Perhaps your information is incorrect?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Im not sure if this is really some elaborate plot, or some sort of high level trolling going on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

coun·ter·in·sur·gen·cy
ˌkoun(t)ərinˈsərjənsē/
noun
noun: counter-insurgency; noun: counterinsurgency

military or political action taken against the activities of guerrillas or revolutionaries.
    "a counterinsurgency force"

Principles of counterinsurgency:

- Legitimacy as the main objective "We represent the one legitimate, lawful authority in this jurisdiction"
- Unity of effort "Stand up to them. Stand together. We're here for you."
- Intelligence as the driver for operations "We are currently interested in any information on a user named phelamanga. What can you tell us?"
- Isolating insurgents from their cause and support "We don't have to remind anyone here what happened the last time a subversive ideology gained traction in our lives"
- Security under the rule of law "Our interest is the safety and security of the human race"

Imperatives:

- Manage information and expectations "Can we help clarify anything for you? We want the whole community to feel informed and vigilant."
- Empower the lowest levels "if you have information that could help identify these agents, reach out to us immediately."

Paradox:

- The best weapons for counterinsurgency don't fire bullets "When the enemy can't use ships or guns to attack us, they turn to lies."

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:31:47 pm by LurkMcGurk »

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Many faces coming out of the woodwork. I would not trust any side in this.

And the ****storm continues...
Seriously, are we really hunting down some random jackass going around calling your logos ****(they kinda are) and posting half-baked "leaks" now? It's really not our business to care about YOUR data security, especially when all the leaks are so underwhelming.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Relay activity has concluded. Please be prepared to contain overspill.

Surveillance technical means have identified the relays. We will conference with our LTO before determining how to use this information.

Offline T-Man

What do we do if we find anything? Bit confused still. Should we just PM you or anyone else?

Haven't seen anything yet though.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
http://pastebin.com/tQYuLffD

I trust neither side in this, but this information needs to be spread.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
We already knew command let Bosch (celtic triple) escape... that ain't much new info.
To know that everybody was trying to pass as the leader of Sol, that's funny.