Author Topic: Just finished - My thoughts  (Read 4254 times)

Just finished - My thoughts
I just finished playing through the campaign this morning. Great campaign by the way, although my playstyle ruined it somewhat. A few thoughts follow

- Cheaters are forgiven. The campaign lets you proceed even if you've given your fighter invincibility, everyone on your side invincibility, unlimited ammo, BFReds, etc. While the story is excellent, the fact that I could not lose (Its VERY TEMPTING to use cheats if I can) did dull the "Oh f***, we're the last humans against an army of bajillions, we're gonna die" effect of the alternate universe a bit.

- Totally called Earth being blown to bits, by the way, at the end of the first mission when a squadmate says "We're finally going to see Earth!" Is that okay?

- I was a tad disappointed that Sanctuary and her Fearsome Five of Fighters aren't in the Tech Room. Microsoft Sam is actually decent in the Tech Room, and I enjoy browsing the various ships in mods that have a lot of them. Inferno R1, for instance.

- I recognized the Vishnan ships as Ancients from the Inferno Tech Room, and as such, my opinion of them was a bit colored. I thought they'd be Ancients. Ah, well.

- Bador == F***ton of death.

-  Frankenstein's Monsters gave me a bit of trouble. Even after completing the mission, it would be called a failure. I was so scared that the mod was bugged. Fortunately, a restart of FSOpen fixed the issue.

- Is WiH out yet?

- How about now?

- No? Now?

- Great job.

- Blam.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:14:20 pm by Inglonias »
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Just finished - My thoughts
- Cheaters are forgiven. The campaign lets you proceed even if you've given your fighter invincibility, everyone on your side invincibility, unlimited ammo, BFReds, etc. While the story is excellent, the fact that I could not lose (Its VERY TEMPTING to use cheats if I can) did dull the "Oh f***, we're the last humans against an army of bajillions, we're gonna die" effect of the alternate universe a bit.
Um. That basically means you won't enjoy any campaigns ever since cheats are always allowed in FS2.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Don't cheat!

- Totally called Earth being blown to bits, by the way, at the end of the first mission when a squadmate says "We're finally going to see Earth!" Is that okay?
If you are familiar with FS universe you must know terrans were cut from access to sol system after FS1 events.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cheats are allowed in all FS2 campaigns.

Other than that, glad you enjoyed it! Favorite parts?

But I was under the impression that if I cheat, then I cannot advance. In fact, I believe that is the case? Am I wrong?

Other than that, glad you enjoyed it! Favorite parts?

I particularly enjoyed Ceremony. Forced Entry's music was teh uber win, and I just finished playing it without cheating at it. I need to get good at a difficulty level other than Very Easy. (God, I suck at this!)  ;)

If you are familiar with FS universe you must know terrans were cut from access to sol system after FS1 events.

Yes, I know. But anything could have happened to Earth AFTER that.

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

But I was under the impression that if I cheat, then I cannot advance. In fact, I believe that is the case? Am I wrong?
You are.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yep, you're wrong - all FS2 campaigns permit advancement with cheats.

Just don't cheat, pilot!

We've got a version with voice acting and some tuned up missions 90% done.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I don't understand what you are trying to say, GTVA pilots were not aware earth was destroyed, that alone justifies your wingmate's question.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Vip

Yep, you're wrong - all FS2 campaigns permit advancement with cheats.

Just don't cheat, pilot!

We've got a version with voice acting and some tuned up missions 90% done.

So NOW you're telling me this, when I finally managed to get past that damn Knossos mission and finish this awesome mod ? :P

Oh well, guess I will have motivation to play it again and once again curse like mad while trying to save those effin ships ;)

I don't understand what you are trying to say, GTVA pilots were not aware earth was destroyed, that alone justifies your wingmate's question.

I think he meant that this dialogue kinda spoils the plot to the player.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Sure? Did you think earth was destroyed when you read that line?

I was shocked when I saw that giant lava ball there, in fact, that was the last of the things I was expecting to see actually.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Vip

Sure? Did you think earth was destroyed when you read that line?

I was shocked when I saw that giant lava ball there, in fact, that was the last of the things I was expecting to see actually.

No, I didn't know... but I see how people could think like this. It's like in some movies, you can guess who will die first based on what they say.  Cliche lines and stuff. Well, at least there was no "Here's hoping Earth is still in one piece" ^^
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

All I said was that I guessed that ahead of time myself. I thought that the Earth we would see in five seconds would be destroyed.

No, I didn't know... but I see how people could think like this. It's like in some movies, you can guess who will die first based on what they say.  Cliche lines and stuff. Well, at least there was no "Here's hoping Earth is still in one piece" ^^

^^ This.

I said during the loading screen. "Aaaannddd. Cue sight of completely destroyed Earth!" I said something like that.
Also, the main FS2 campaign doesn't let you advance if you cheat, so thats where the confusion comes from. Now to go practice playing this game on medium!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:01:14 pm by Inglonias »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The main FS2 campaign does allow you to advance if you cheat.

Wasn't the ability to advance in a campaign while cheating added in by the SCP?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, whatever, I dunno!  :p

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Wasn't the ability to advance in a campaign while cheating added in by the SCP?

No. You only get penalized for cheating in FS1.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

The main FS2 campaign does allow you to advance if you cheat.

It didn't for meeeee....

Edit: Now wait, I am CERTAIN that at least one mod did not let me advance in the campaign if I cheated, and it wasn't Freespace 1. I'll try to get a screenshot of this ASAP.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That would be FreeSpace 1.

Fine... You win. I'm wrong.