Author Topic: Wii wii wii, all the way home?  (Read 19606 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: Wii wii wii, all the way home?
Zelda is indeed quite awesome. My favorites are the horseback battles with the big boar riding dudes, etc. Very epic, incredibly fun, yet not too many of them that they get old or boring. Bravo, Mr. Miyomoto and the rest of the Zelda team!  :nod:

EA is known to buy just about everything.. but nintendo? Hopefully the world will have ended before that day.

As far as the Unreal 3 port goes, sounds cool.. I'm interested to see how and how well they pull it off (if they do). Nintendo is also so anti-framerate slow-down of any kind (well, who isn't.. but Metroid Prime for example, they made sure there were no slow-downs even when much was happening) that it seems like they wouldn't be able to do it at a satisfactory level.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The U3 port does have the advantage of only having to work at a max of 480p, at least.  I don't think anything has come close to pushing the Wii yet, anyways, so it'd be interesting to see what comes of it.  Metroid Prime (ummm, Corruption?) apparently has been polished up visually since it's GC-esque last demo and runs at a steady 60fps, so I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

Offline Ulala

Indeed, it is Corruption. I am looking forward to it as well.  :nod:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Posting from Wii for first time; I think NIntendo has a winner on its hands.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Ulala

Posting from Wii for first time; I think NIntendo has a winner on its hands.

Did you give us your Wii code yet? If not, prepare to be assimilated.  :drevil: ;) :p
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Wii code? Walk me through this.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Wii Menu > Bottom Right > Contact List > And I forget, I know I asked the same question on page two, so look there.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Ok, if it's a 16 digit #, then mine is:

3072 0152 3469 8919

EDIT: upon further research, it would seem that that is, in fact, the right number. I am about to add: Aldo, Ulala, Butter_pat_head, Starkweather, and Miskat.

All of you better accept; I want Miis to parade around.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:19:18 pm by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Finally got a Wii...my number is 3131-3845-6768-9002.
Hope you gents don't mind if I add you? :)
(How, by the way?)

Gotta say though, this is a serious contender for best game system ever. It's right up there with my PC :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:21:34 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Go ahead and add me if you want, but dammit, now there's no telling when I'll be able to respond. My brother messed with the router earlier and now I can't get my Wii back online.

EDIT: crisis averted! The router just reset everything, so I had to change the ssid back to what it was. Oh well. Anyways... UT: post your Wii number in my thread a couple posts down; I'll edit in a walkthrough for finding it and adding others.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:05:11 pm by Ghost »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Crikey, I'll have some additions to make tonight, then :)

Offline Ulala

Everyone has been added to mine.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
And to mine also.  I think.  Anyone notice you can get a new channel from the shop?

("Everyone votes channel" - it's not particularly special, just an online poll thing, but it does show the ability to deliver stuff like original non-Vc games through the shop)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I still have to sign everyone else up, I've still only got Stark and Ghost.
Anyway, the only game I have so far is Need for Speed: Carbon. To be honest I wasn't expecting much, and it's not a perfect game (no damage modeling!?), but it is very fun, and I was really surprised that the port team actually took the time to make the game use the Wii's motion sensors. I was expecting to have to use the joystick, but ta-da, it's all based on the Wii motion system, which is very fun. You have a selection of different control schemes, such as the standard sideways-Wiimote like a wheel thing, or (my favorite), you can have the Wiimote be like an accelerator pedal (lower it to go faster, pull it back and you slow down), and the Nunchuk as your steering (by leaning it left and right).

The only problem I've found so far with the Wii's system (at least for driving games) is that you have to lean back to be uncomfortable (as the controller used to turn must have the bottom facing the TV, and the top facing you). If you try using the controller facing the floor, the Wii doesn't register the twisting motion as a turn. This might just be with NFS:C though.

I still have to sign everyone else up, I've still only got Stark and Ghost.
Anyway, the only game I have so far is Need for Speed: Carbon. To be honest I wasn't expecting much, and it's not a perfect game (no damage modeling!?), but it is very fun, and I was really surprised that the port team actually took the time to make the game use the Wii's motion sensors. I was expecting to have to use the joystick, but ta-da, it's all based on the Wii motion system, which is very fun. You have a selection of different control schemes, such as the standard sideways-Wiimote like a wheel thing, or (my favorite), you can have the Wiimote be like an accelerator pedal (lower it to go faster, pull it back and you slow down), and the Nunchuk as your steering (by leaning it left and right).

The only problem I've found so far with the Wii's system (at least for driving games) is that you have to lean back to be uncomfortable (as the controller used to turn must have the bottom facing the TV, and the top facing you). If you try using the controller facing the floor, the Wii doesn't register the twisting motion as a turn. This might just be with NFS:C though.

Excite Truck doesn't do that, You hold the LED sensor half (side with the D-Pad, power button) to your left hand, and the strap to your right. The A Button faces up though. Very fun game too, most fun I've had with a driving game ever.

Offline Ulala

I just picked up "Wii Play" which came with a wii remote, and it's similar to Wii Sports (some of the GUI even) although instead of 5 legitimate sports, its 9 fun games like "laser hockey" (air hockey basically), an updated version of the old Duck Hunt, and an more complicated version of "Wanted" from Mario64 or New Super Mario Bros on DS for those who have played that, and my personal favorite being billiards, among a few others. Great fun, although priced at 50 bucks.. it's hard to justify the spending, which is why they threw in the remote. I pre-ordered it though, so I'm not sure if they'll continue to offer the remote with it. Either way, it's a lot of fun, gets more use out of Miis, but if you see it at the store for around $50 without a wiimote, I'd suggest you try before you buy to make sure you really do enjoy what it has to offer. Since I already have 4 wiimotes, I just gave the extra to a friend as a late Christmas/current birthday present.

Now I just need Sonic, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil, and I think I'm set.  ;)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wii play is only worth a (UK price) fiver, to be honest.  Cow racing is fun, though, and the control method gives me great optimism for Excite-Truck (currently winging it's way to me via Jersey) :)

I'm quite interested in Eledees (*hack spit* for the name) / Elebits, though; the online functionality seems very promising.  Albiet I've got Zelda, WarioWare and Red Steel all to polish off, so methinks I'll cap my spending at ExciteTruck for the moment.  Have to admit, this system is the first thing for years to genuinely excite me :)

Offline Ulala

Indeed, make sure to get a "free" wiimote with it if you do get it.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline miskat

Hey, Aldo:  Never gear about ExciteTruck, I rented it just the other day and honestly: it's the most fun I've had on the Wii!  Amazing game, to be sure.

Went out and bought Trauma Center: Second Opinion... which is interesting.  Eh.

And Wii Play was /almost/ not worth the extra for the "free" Wiimote.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Bloody hell, Excite Truck is awesomely bonkers - or should that be bonkersly awesome?  Anyways, it's fantastic; lightning fast, gorgeous to look at (with some stunning effects - I don't think I've seen any game that lets you set off a volcanic eruption or drive through a tornado), and the control system works brilliantly (in some ways it's less precise than a gamepad joystick, but it's far more immersive, very comfortable and really allows you to react swiftly; I can envisage the best people at the game become truly awesome).