Author Topic: Post Processing Bug with MediaVPS  (Read 7141 times)

Post Processing Bug with MediaVPS
I recently reinstalled FSPort and FSPort MediaVPS using the Knossos installer.

When I tried the game, I noticed the primary weapon shots looked really bad:
https://i.imgur.com/lNrC7pR.png

Turns out this happens when I add the -post_process flag in the FSOpen options.  Removing it makes the shots look normal (but of course also removes the post processing affects from the graphics, like bloom)

The same thing happens on two different machines with totally different specs.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Re: Post Processing Bug with MediaVPS
Which built are you using? Most recent one?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This looks to me as if the bits in the effect texture that are supposed to be fully transparent aren't. Does this happen for this specific weapon or all weapons?

If it's only this weapon, it might be worthwhile to look at the textures for that effect and make sure that they're set up correctly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Which built are you using? Most recent one?

Whichever one gets installed via Knossos.  It lists the FSPort MediaVPS version as 3.7.2, and FSPort as 1.0.0.

This looks to me as if the bits in the effect texture that are supposed to be fully transparent aren't. Does this happen for this specific weapon or all weapons?

If it's only this weapon, it might be worthwhile to look at the textures for that effect and make sure that they're set up correctly.

It happens with both the ML-16 and the Disruptor, as you can see in the screenshot.  Not sure about others.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:02:22 am by Soul Reaver »

Could you try switching to the most recent built? Outdated builts often have bugs that have been fixed in the meantime.

Could you try switching to the most recent built? Outdated builts often have bugs that have been fixed in the meantime.

Can't see any way of installing a newer version using Knossos.  Unless I'm missing something?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In the FSO options, switch "Preferred Engine Stability" to "Nightlies" or "Release Candidate", then update FSO and select one of the newer builds in the launch options.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

T
In the FSO options, switch "Preferred Engine Stability" to "Nightlies" or "Release Candidate", then update FSO and select one of the newer builds in the launch options.
Tried FSO 19.0.0-RC1, same problem.

I also tried Freespace Port MediaVPs version 3.6.12 but had the same problem.

Is anyone else seeing the same issue when they use the post_process flag on a Knossos full install for FSPort with FSPort MediaVPS?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:48:16 pm by Soul Reaver »

I just noticed a similar issue while checking the Morning Star (MVPs-2018, current FSO RC) in the F3 lab after using the MorningStar_Glow bitmap in a mod produced a box-like glow similar to the one in the OP. Checking the file, it appears that its base color isn't black. Don't have FSPort at hand so I can't tell whether the ML16 and the Avenger glow have the same problem, but it seems possible.

Should I try reporting this in Mantis?
Never used it before but I assume I just need to create an account.

I don't think anybody is using Mantis anymore.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
These effects haven't changed in years. If this is just now coming up, I suspect engine changes or video card driver issues.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

FWIW, the Morning Star looks bizarre and completely broken in the F3 lab, but fine in-mission.

These effects haven't changed in years. If this is just now coming up, I suspect engine changes or video card driver issues.

My (admittedly uneducated) suspicion is that it's engine changes.  I've got two completely different machines that experience basically the same problem with completely different video cards (one's a crappy laptop that can barely run Freespace 2 Open, the other is gaming PC that runs it just fine).

Most likely changes haves been made to how postprocessing works that has somehow become incompatible with the FSPort MediaVPS

I haven't noticed any issues the Freespace 2 MediaVPS using postprocessing, only the FSPort ones.

It would help if more people tested it to confirm though - it's easy enough to test.  Install F2, use Knossos to install MediaVPS, FSPort and FSPort Media VPS, set FSO Options>Graphics to include Post Processing.  Start a new game and test by shooting the ML16 in the first training mission.
Compare to how it looks with post processing turned off.

Assuming this is a problem introduced through engine upgrades, is there any way for me to report it to someone who might be able to look into it and fix it?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 04:26:58 pm by Soul Reaver »

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I'm actually pretty sure that had happened to me too back some time ago, but I'm not sure if it stopped happening at some point or if I just got used to it. I think it was being strange once I've started using some of the first PBR 3.7.2 builds?

I'm not at my PC right now, but this evening I'll open up FSO to check that out and report.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Alright, I'm back - sorry for the double post.

Checking the F3 lab, the problems definitely come from fsport-mediavps. The 'boxiness' issue definitely comes into both Disruptor and D-Advanced, and also Flail. Some other weapons (ML-16, Avenger, Banshee, S-Breaker) experience discoloration after I turn on the post proccessing. ML-16 and S-Breaker look like they're being massively oversaturated for some reason. Not sure how that works, though.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not a graphics guy, so I have no idea what could be causing this, from either an application or an art perspective.

However, I'll agree with mjn.mixael that if it was a mod-wide problem, a lot more people would have reported it in the past few years.  Can you try upgrading your graphics drivers?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did some checking. I get the same issue on my machine in multiple mods where these same effects are used. I suspect something is bad with the images themselves. That said, I see the issue in the tech room, but not in mission. However, the Avenger bolts seem to be inverted somehow in mission.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I'm not a graphics guy, so I have no idea what could be causing this, from either an application or an art perspective.

However, I'll agree with mjn.mixael that if it was a mod-wide problem, a lot more people would have reported it in the past few years.  Can you try upgrading your graphics drivers?

As I said above, I already updated them to the latest on my gaming PC (that one has a GeForce GTX 760).  And I get the same issue on a different computer (laptop with built in graphics card) too.
It's obviously a newer problem, because I used to play FSPort a few years back and didn't notice the same thing back then.  I suspect engine changes.

I strongly suspect those images are set up in some sort way that the current post processing implementation doesn't like.
I just don't know who the right person would be to look into it and try and fix it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If I knew exactly what about the images the engine didn't like, I might be able to perform the adjustments in IrfanView or GIMP, or failing that, get Galemp to fix them.

But fixing it is the easy part; figuring out what needs fixing is the tricky part.

I'll ask on the #fsu channel on Discord; maybe someone there has an idea.