Author Topic: Problems...  (Read 3552 times)

Offline 01010

Having a hankering to see what the SCP guys had achieved, I looked to install FS2 again. However, having somehow managing to lose ALL of the discs of the FS double pack I own in the great computer move upstairs of '03 seems to have scuppered that plan.

Ah ha I though, lets try the HOTU version, so after a night of downloading that and a week or so of obtaining all the VP's I'm ready to go, or so I thought. Now when I try to run FS2 I'm getting a rather frustrating "Can't run FS2 from a root directory" despite the fact that I'm blatantly not.

Any ideas before I relieve my frustrations on a small kitten via the use of electric shock aversion techniques?
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline 01010

:: Dangles electric probes in front of a small, unendingly cute, kitten ::
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Buy FS2 on eBay for $1 and install normally.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline 01010

I have a feeling I'd be having this problem with a vanilla install from the CD's and I've never had a problem with the HOTU install before this.

Offline 01010

uhm, did you run freespace.exe and not fs2.exe, you might need that launcher.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Carl
Buy FS2 on eBay for $1 and install normally.

You forgot the two zeros that go after the one.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline 01010

Originally posted by kasperl
uhm, did you run freespace.exe and not fs2.exe, you might need that launcher.

I've tried every possible combination of everything you could imagine and it really has me stumped, I thought possibly that it might even be a registry entry but alas I found no luck there either. As far as I can tell, it thinks that the exe is being run from the root of drive C and I'm sure someone else here has had that problem before because it seemed familiar to me somehow. Hmm.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
The HOTU rip is a cock-loving rip.

Oh and as an update to my heart-ache, I've also now lost Disk 1 of FS2. Leaving me with FS1 (both disks), a patch-disk, an illegal copy of FS1 and FS2-Disk3.

Grrr.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

ok, you need to run the freespace.exe, and then go to the setup thingy in there,  at least, IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline 01010

Originally posted by kasperl
ok, you need to run the freespace.exe, and then go to the setup thingy in there,  at least, IIRC.

No no no, I've done everything, I've run both Volitions launcher and fifty of the different one's for the SCP as well as trying different build versions, I always get the same error and I have no idea why it thinks it's running from the root of my drive.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Kasperl raises a good point. Did you run the original FS2 launcher at any point or did you go straight into the SCP one?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 01010

Originally posted by karajorma
Kasperl raises a good point. Did you run the original FS2 launcher at any point or did you go straight into the SCP one?

I tried V's first before I even d/l the SCP launcher. Believe me, I'm not inexperienced when it comes to things like this but it has me completely stumped. I've tried every possible permutation of every single idea that I've thought of and nothing works.

I've tried WinXP compatability modes, I've tried moving the files to a different directory, running in 640x480, running sans 3d acceleration. Absolutely nada, zilch, zippo.

I'd like to see the SCP in action but I think it was never meant to be.

As far as I can tell, the game seems to think it's installed to the root of the HD but it's not. It is installed (in the HOTU fashion) on my secondary drive but surely that couldn't be the problem.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
So, did it work with regular FreeSpace or not?

It's not like I really have a clue either way, but might help...

Also, there'll be a new HOTU rip soonish. I don't think that there was actually any change to the program itself in there, so any problems with the rip are problems with all versions of FreeSpace.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Stryke 9
So, did it work with regular FreeSpace or not?

It's not like I really have a clue either way, but might help...

Also, there'll be a new HOTU rip soonish. I don't think that there was actually any change to the program itself in there, so any problems with the rip are problems with all versions of FreeSpace.

Well, I've had the HOTU rip working before so I know that's not the issue, it's regular FS that gives me the error, the SCP exe gives me a debug spew that basically amounts to the same error however.

I recently upgraded (ha) to XP and I think it's possibly something to do with that,  I also added all the extra VP's from Fractux's (Fractii?) FTP and followed all the FAQ's to the letter.

Like I say, this is normally something that I could work my way around, but it has me completely baffled.

::EDIT::

How the **** did I get that many posts?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:05:43 pm by 784 »

I have run FS2 on XP for 1 1/2 years now no problem... Plus I have 11 FULL installs on internal drives C, D and External Drive G so drive location should NOT be a problem...

try uninstalling all that crap and re-install original version then use launcher to update it...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Originally posted by 01010

Fractux's (Fractii?) ::EDIT::

How the **** did I get that many posts?

well, Fractii would be multiple, so it would be Fractae or Fracticis if you want to use something possesive.

and postcounts go up without you really noticing, i know. i am always surprised when i look at my own postcount.

Offline cyavhn

• http://www.geocities.com/cyavhn/
Originally posted by 01010
It is installed (in the HOTU fashion) on my secondary drive but surely that couldn't be the problem.

That may be the prob right there,`specially if it`s a partioned drive. :confused:
I have the HOTU zip and just use the FS2 folder within the C:\unzipped\freespace\ folder\...no probs. :)
*wonders what his drive letter is*
And if you registered the proggy make sure the path is correct.
war is hell...it`s what happens when you cheat
www.geocities.com/cyavhn/

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Hippo
Hippo's 'HowToGetALegitCopyOfFreeSpace FAQ'...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

...the....popups.....burn.....my....eyes!