Author Topic: Multiplayer Tactics  (Read 4933 times)

Multiplayer Tactics
HOW the hell do you manage to kick so much ass in multiplayer? I want to know, what makes you fly around and pwn n00blets constantly? God damn, I swear, playing a round of FS2 in multiplayer about a year ago, I was CONSTANTLY pulling up on the joysticks, dodging fighters who STILL managed to pwn me!

Maybe you should try _not_ pulling up on the joystick so much and go for more variable movement?  I dunno.  I was a pretty poor player too in my short playing stint.

It was rather hilarious to continually crash into the enemies though.

Offline Cabbie

Been looking for threads like this eversince I started looking for FS communities on the net :)

Any dogfighting experts out there who can show us n00bs a trick or two? :)

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
It depends on what kind of player you are:
if nothing can scratch your ego you best jump into the cold water and learn it by doing lots of TvTs - I don't recommend Dogfights (never got used to them) cause they are usually pure chaos :)

if you don't like being vets-fooder maybe start with Coops - get or join some Vets here too - to see and learn the missions: never play anything below HARD difficulty!... once you know what's necessary you have more time to watch your actual flying and polish it

edited: just note that most of my Coop missions are ment for bored Vets - if you can't manage to win them alone or with no Vets around it's not your fault :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:22:01 am by 556 »
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

I am one of the trainers of the squad Darkwing www.darkwing.org.uk  so maybe I can give a few pointers.

I don't know how experienced you are so I will start with the very basics:

Chapter 1: Choice of ships and weaps

Ships:

There are mainly 2 schools:
- Herc II (versatile and fits all , noobs and top vets)  
- Erynies (not recommended for noobs, long learning curve)

Main difference : with Herc, guns are tactical, you make the kill with missiles. With Eryn you make the kills with guns (tempest being considered as an extra gun) , missiles are tactical.

Other alternatives : Perseus, Myrmidon, Sekhmet, Tauret. All good ships but only in specific situations

Guns: Kayser, Prometheus; Morning Star. Forget all others
Missiles:  Rockeyes, Tempests, Tornadoes

Recommendation: for new tvt players I recommend Herc II with Kayser + Morning star and Tornados + Rockeys  

Chapter 2 to follow...?
:p
Battlestar Galactica mod for Freelancer: www.bsg-galactica.com

Offline Cabbie

Good tips. I'm suprised that you did not mention  Harpoons though

Any tips for flying light fighters like the Perseus or the Myr? I heard that really skilled pilots can do some pretty amazing stuff with them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 08:58:56 pm by 1826 »

Offline wolfdog

he didn't cu'z they're not available in most tvt missions I think.

Wolf is right, Harpoons are only allowed in very few validated TvT missions (MT14 aspect lock and Mt22 Fallen timbers) precisely because they are very good missiles (best aspect lock AFAIK) extremely hard to dodge. Therefore missions in which they are allowed  tend to quickly turn into a Poon spamming contests. Basically the first one that gets the lock and keeps the trigger pressed gets the kill...not much skill involved.

As for Pers & Myrm, yes they can be dreadful ships but as I said they require specific conditions and skills.
For Pers, first you need a good ping otherwise you would have a hard time killing anything (limited firepower and payload), second you must make never make a mistake because 1 single Eryn shot or 2 rounds or rocks = instant death.
Tip : Never go into a face to face duel in a Pers, you must learn to buzz around your target and bite him a number of times without ever giving him a chance to see you.

Myrm is a compromise between light ships and Erynies. It has good firepower (6 gun mounts) and still better manoeuvrability that any heavy fighter. So you should be able to outturn Eryn or Herc but not by very much. The key is to be able to maximise that advantage because if you don't, an opponent in Herc or Eryn will force you into a face to face duel that you will loose because he has a stronger hull.
Battlestar Galactica mod for Freelancer: www.bsg-galactica.com

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
I played Squadwar and helped win a few Squadwar leagues. I was considered our teams kamikaze pilot, i used to listen to Seek & Detroy from Kill Em All during dogfights.

We used to do ALOT of 4 on 4 Team vs Team  and i developed a tactic that worked each and everytime here is how i did it.

Ship: Sekhemet Bomber
3 Bays of Missiles consisting of:
1 Bay of Tornadoes (Lock On Missiles from a distance of 1599 or lower)
2 Bays of Rockeyes (Heat Seeking Missiles which lock onto any heat signature automatically from 1000 or lower.
Primary: Morning Stars (non-Lethal laser weapon which grips opponents ships like a fist and when repeatedly firing you can push them back and control their momentum. (FS ROCKS BTW)

Tactic: Kamikaze Flyer A-La Vasudan
Set your power settings for your ship to have one step higher Sheilds and One step hire Primary guns.

Fly at your enemy like a kamikaze and within 1400 of your enemy, lock on with Tornadoes and lob them at your opponent as many times as possible until your within 750 of your opponent at which time switch to rockeyes and prepare to use your primary weapon to distract and make your opponent avoid you and not enable them to lock on. This is very important, else your charge will be stopped. You must make them run from tornadoes then fear your Morning Stars. Once you have hit your opponent with the monring star and have some momentum control on them, begin firing one whole bay of rockeyes at your opponent and fire your morning stars ever so often to keep your enemy off balance, but not enough to shove them back to far so the rockeyes only give blast damage.

During this firing of your primaries and firing of your rockeyes, you are to fly in a corkscrew formation, towards your opponent WHILE banking the same way your corkscrewing for ample defense.
Why? What this does to any incoming missile is to fly straight at you, however once you get close enough to the missile, and its just about to hit you you corkscrew and spin away from missile, it will miss you when you get very good, you will even be able to dodge incoming tornadoes with ease, rockeyes will also go right by you as they heat seek less efficiently, and with your constant spin and corkscrewing it makes the rockeyes have a real hard time hitting you. Speed = Life in Freespace 2.

So basically you corkscrew and spin and fly at the guy, even RAMMING him for the death blow if necessary, heck your flying a Sekhement Bomber, probably against a herc 2. It will do a ton of damage with a ram alone, and have found myself killing many people butting heads with them.

Now, in four on four you have to worry about more then one guy. I used to lock on with tornadoes early on one guy and lob about 4 sets at them (double fire mode) then target another enemy and begin my corkscrew maneuver and when i was within 500 of them begin firing 20 rockeyes at them, head to head, and try and ram them while augmenting my forward sheilds to be full at all times. Most times i would kill one guy with 20 rockeyes, the guy before who had the tonradoes lobbed at him is busy dodging those and got hit once, that i dont even worry about him, so i move to target number 3 and beging lobbing the rest of my rockeyes at him, and attempt a fourth target lock from close range on the fourth and final pilot.

I always got two kills for every one death, part of the reason why we succeeded so much in squadwar was due to this tactic.

To compliment me, we had a Ursa bomber loaded with Pirhanas in one bay, Rockeyes in the other bay and a bay of trebuchets for the long distracting missile launches. What this did was put an anchor on our team, a person we can fly back to for protection from incoming fighters, hence why he has fighter suppression missiles and auto locking missiles. The Trebs were to distract them as they came in or as a provoking tool, or an up close and personal killer while rammming with the Ursa (talk about instant death!). Also the Ursa had two primaries, one a Morning Star and the other a Maxim. maxim was for long range provocation, and the Morning star was for missile launch control up close.
Then we had a second sekhemet bomber on our wing, which was loaded with primaries of the Maxim type, and it held one bay of tornadoes, one of Pirhanas, and one bay of rockeyes. This ship provided the kamikaze backup, and performed cleanup duty for the kamikaze. it also served as protection in the medium battle lines before the Ursa could be pestered.
Last ship on the wing was a Herc 2 fighter, which came packed with Maxims and morning stars, one bay of rockeyes and one bay of tornadoes. This ships job was to find the anchor of the other team and decmate them. If no anchor could be found or was made obvious it flew behind the kamikaze and headed for the kamikaze's first target.
Upon respawn we would meet at the anchor and then begin our flight paths as previously indicated.
We did this and won for a long time, and succeeded. We have seen the "Mexican Standoff" in action as well, where both teams just sit at their spawns and wait for the other to make the first move. It is a great strategy, unless both sides use it then your screwed.

Today im not as good as i used to be, especially without my flight stick. however, i hope my experience as a dogfighter in a bomber helps people become a better pilot. Remember the Corkscrew! It works very well!

In a one on one, i would take the same loadout described above, fly at you in a corkscrew while spinning, locking on with tornadoes and fire half the bank towars you, then begin primary fire and rockeye firing, once i got within 200 of you i would still fly at you and use my speed boost to ram you head on WHILE FIRING ROCKEYES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Cabbie

DareDevil,

Thanks for the tips. Me and my mates have been trying some 2on2 games lately and I really had fun playing the light fighters. Obviously for  the Peresus you really need some skilled flying to stay alive. I recall seeing a video of a fellow doing very well with a Peresus in a TVT game but it involved some really fancy flying and hit and run tactics just to stay alive (felt dizzy just watching it).

Any specific tips on how to dodge incomming fire or methods how to go circle your opponent properly?

Lonestar,

Now thats something I'm going have to practice and try when I get around to play with my pals again :)

Offline mrfun

:hopping: Well after all of 10 mintues playing it seems FSO multiplayer is just like every other action game multiplayer- the guy with the biggest guns wins.  Fought an erinyes and did a nice job of not getting hit by him, until he just cut his engine and sat and spun around till I was in front of him for a split second- and here I thought this was supposed to be about dogfighting, but no it's just like mech4, the guy in the assault mech will always beat everyone else.  And lag just makes it worse when they can fire kaysers out of their butt and still hit you.

This is why I dont usually dont play online games at all... somehow I though FS would be different and you'd be fighitng things that dont kill you in only one or two shots.

Well I guess I'll stop whining for now.

Offline Cetanu

well, sounds you met either a pretty good pilot or - if the oponent was the host - the "host advantage" of zero lag with guns...

if you don't want to be the bait: try Coops like I suggested earlier in this topic :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Ouch, ouch!

Soo.. what were you flying?
Erinyes is a piece of junk metal unless the pilot knows how to handle it well - possibly you met someone who knows :) (i don't)
Though, if he just sits, you have chances attacking him with torns/morning star/maxims from longer range.

GL!

Edit: Damn, Cet you were quicker :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 08:34:44 pm by 638 »

Offline Cetanu

sorry, Cas ;)

but a situation like his was the reason why I added more TvTs in FZP3 with Harps - to have a bit more power to deal with evil host-guns... doesn't work all the time, but better then nothing

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Sounds good Cet :)
Its great to finally have some new multi missions to play with. Haven't yet had a chance to try those, tho (but got them DL'ed).

Well, we're in no hurry here - PXO lesson #1 :)

Offline Cetanu

hope the voicefiles too - or it's only half the fun, you know :)

Offline mrfun

I was in a ulysses- I know, I was asking for it, but I hate big-gun smashfests.  I like actually relying on manuevering to get things done- I managed to stay behind the erinyes abou 90% of the time, but the two ships are just so unbalanced to each other 2 shots is all it really took.  And lag didn't help.

Maybe I'll just stay out of dogfights- sounds like bad news all in all.

What I'd really like in multiplayer is a team coop- dunno if they actually exist.  One of the great things about FS2 is the tactical aspect of takign down a capital ship, so one team gets to be on offense and the other defense.  Now that I think would be fun, it'd be more then cirlcing each other and the guy with the biggest gun gets the kill.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I would beat you all... :drevil:
Mwhahahaha...!!!
Don't believe me, call me up for a game sometime ;7
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Look at all these yummy replies after I let the thread sit for a minute.. ;7

Offline Cetanu

Originally posted by mrfun
What I'd really like in multiplayer is a team coop- dunno if they actually exist.  One of the great things about FS2 is the tactical aspect of takign down a capital ship, so one team gets to be on offense and the other defense.  Now that I think would be fun, it'd be more then cirlcing each other and the guy with the biggest gun gets the kill.

Ok, let's get the definitions straight:

Coop: all players are in one team and fight against computer AI
TvT: the players are in 2 hostile teams
Doggy: each players is on his own against the rest

not sure what you ment with team coop now...

- if you ment what is usually called Coop: yes, there are lots of such missions

- if you ment TvTs which aren't only fighters against fighters and have actually some Coop elements: yes, there are such missions too