Author Topic: Voice acting inconsistent with action.  (Read 2578 times)

Voice acting inconsistent with action.
Hi.  I just decided to play through the Freespace Port again (the version I have has been on my HD for quite some time, since FSO 3.6.9 or so, so it might be probably is outdated), and besides the usual problem of none of the cutscenes working, I just got to the mission Exodus.

In the mission, Kappa 6, a Vasudan freighter, reports that it is departing for Aldebaran... while it's jumping out at the Sirius jump node.  What gives? 

</nitpick>
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Voice acting inconsistent with action.
If I remember correctly the last patch (3.1.1) was released in 3.6.10 times. Unless I'm mistaken 3.6.10 switched the supported video format from .avi to .ogg, so you'll have to either get the cutscenes in avi or use a newer exe file.

If I remember correctly the last patch (3.1.1) was released in 3.6.10 times. Unless I'm mistaken 3.6.10 switched the supported video format from .avi to .ogg, so you'll have to either get the cutscenes in avi or use a newer exe file.
The cutscenes never worked, though.  They start to play, but they always cut off halfway through, and the Ancients one about how there's only a few of them left crashes the game a few seconds in.  (I can avoid this by using the ESC key to skip it right away.)  The FS1 intro movie has also always gotten choppy halfway through and crashed the game soon thereafter if not skipped.  It does this now, it did this when I first started playing Freespace.  (I came in just before GOG started selling the game, if that gives you a time reference; I have a lot of campaign files that still date from my original install because of my long absence due to a broken controller.)  If the supported file format has changed, that doesn't seem to have affected the problem.  But I'm not overly concerned about it; I just skip them and then watch on YouTube. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
In the mission, Kappa 6, a Vasudan freighter, reports that it is departing for Aldebaran... while it's jumping out at the Sirius jump node.  What gives? 

</nitpick>

Never noticed that. It must be one of :v:'s little errors.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Must be.  By the by, the ending credits un-invert my joystick controls and take away my HUD.  I fixed the former, but I forget the keys to get the latter back.   :confused:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Shift O

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe you should try the support board for your video problem. Here on my end the avi cutscenes worked fine back then as do the ogg cutscenes now.
The only thing that doesn't work are the new high-res cutscenes that min.mixael made, though there are a few people for whom they are working fine.
If you wanna give those a try: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68161.0

Edit: Little clarifications: The "super-high resolution" videos don't work (1080). The 720s work fine with RC2 for me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:45:39 pm by -Norbert- »