Author Topic: Star Wars: Squadrons  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Star Wars: Squadrons
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview
Energy management referenced in the cinematic trailer, huh?
One can only hope.

Also: goddamit if this turns out good I'll have to install windows 10 to play it.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons
Indeed. We've been chatting about it on the Discord server. Article with more details is here
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-squadrons

ETS is confirmed as is 5v5 team strategy battles, with the goal to destroy the opposing capital ship. SP campaign is also specified, but most of focus on on MP.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I may have to break my rule of $20 limit on games.  The last time I broke that was for Ace Combat 7, and before that was for Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw, and I did not regret the expense for either of those.

Hell, I may even pre-order.  I haven't done THAT since Battlefield 3!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Same, I'm rather optimistic about this game and looking forward to seeing gameplay footage at EA Play on the 18th.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Goddamn, this is a crossplay-supported game? That means I won't have to shell out a ridiculous amount of money for a VR rig and I can just play on my laptop PC? Sign me up!
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Well consider me interested!

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am currently trying to get a straight answer as to what engine it runs on out of my EA contact. I will adjust my expectations according to the answer.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think I spied "in game engine" or something similar.  I was expecting a cut down battlefront 2 engine but I don't remember it looking that polished. There's an actual gameplay trailer out soon likewise I'll reserve judgement although I'll let it be known now that 5 V 5 would improved by adding more players per team.  But it depends on map size I guess and how much open space there is.    As I said, gameplay trailer will allow me a better informed opinion.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

The endcard has a disclaimer that reads "Rendered in Frostbite. Images may not appear in-game".

Battlefront 2 was made in Frostbite, the DICE in-house engine. And with a few exceptions (see Respawn) its what EA wants all their studios to use, for reasons cooperate synergy and cost reduction - however with games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem re-tooling the engine for systems beyond a shooter gameplay caused issues and development hold-ups, and you can find documented stories of problems with the in-company support in the post-mortems of these games.
However it also has an established VR interface.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
>5v5 gameplay
>4 fighters each for every faction

the math is not adding up to me

Offline 0rph3u5

>5v5 gameplay
>4 fighters each for every faction

the math is not adding up to me

Team composition is part of developing a strategy for a match. Even without info from my contact, I think its a sure bet the fighters will have unique functionality attached to them - and not just different stat blocks.

==================

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Team composition is part of developing a strategy for a match. Even without info from my contact, I think its a sure bet the fighters will have unique functionality attached to them - and not just different stat blocks.

Yeah, it feels like they're moving in a direction of making it like a forced, artificial rock-paper-scissors, with classes and counters applied to the ships rather forcefully. I'd rather they give them each their expected stats (shields, maneuverability, speed, etc), commonly-accepted weapon loadouts to choose from, and let the dice fall where they may.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
we're supposed to be getting a deeper look at the game on the 18th; I'd try not to speculate too much until then.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Holy **** it looks so ****ing good

If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
:jaw: :jaw: :jaw: and VR is only optional? Sweet!

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I wonder if they'll have further DLC for other crafts and historic battles.  Falcon, Tie Defender, Tie Advanced, and B-Wing?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
According to the dev interview, there'll be no DLC. Let's see how long EA will allow that idea, though.
Potato!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They said that they don't have plans at the moment, but I can guarantee you that if this thing becomes a success and starts having legs, it will get DLC eventually.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
As game balance is a huge issue in this game, introducing new ships would be problematic as you’d have to have a counterpart on the opposing side. If the TIE bomber is equivalent to the Y-wing, then what would be the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing? Ditto the TIE Advanced and especially the TIE Defender. I can’t see the makers of this game canonizing stuff like the E-wing (blech!) to compensate.

The Order of the Stick