Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373679 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Just finished an orbital mission... with Bob Kerman hanging onto a ladder on the outside of the rocket the entire time.

EVA stuff is a lot more fun than I had expected it to be. Way better than the space planes update. :)

Up next: figuring out how to keep kerbals on the outside of the ship from gradually sliding down the ladder whenever I try to accelerate...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've not managed to reach orbit yet...... Some AMAZING explosions though.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was trying to expand my mun base. i landed 3 more lunar habitat modules and crashed 2 more. the game is starting to slow down a lot due to all the space junk floating around, so i used the laser plugin and designed a fast intercept ship to hunt and kill all the space debris i dont want floating around anymore. im getting good at rendezvous manuvers. ive been using mechjeb but only for holding orientations, but ive mostluy been pulling it off by eyeball. ive intercepted 5 or 6 spent boosters already. some of them still have fuel on board, i kinda whished there was a fuel transfer plugin that allowed in-space refueling from abandoned tankage.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
i was trying to expand my mun base. i landed 3 more lunar habitat modules and crashed 2 more. the game is starting to slow down a lot due to all the space junk floating around, so i used the laser plugin and designed a fast intercept ship to hunt and kill all the space debris i dont want floating around anymore. im getting good at rendezvous manuvers. ive been using mechjeb but only for holding orientations, but ive mostluy been pulling it off by eyeball. ive intercepted 5 or 6 spent boosters already. some of them still have fuel on board, i kinda whished there was a fuel transfer plugin that allowed in-space refueling from abandoned tankage.

DEBRIS SECTION GO

DIVE IN THE SKY
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You get a gold star, sir.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes yes.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Do people have any absolutely essential mod recommendations for the latest commercial release? (0.16)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
get mechjeb. it gives you all that instrumentation i have up there. carts is a nice little plugin too, gives you the mun buggy chassis. theres a first person camera plugin as well which comes in handy for flying.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
get mechjeb. it gives you all that instrumentation i have up there. carts is a nice little plugin too, gives you the mun buggy chassis. theres a first person camera plugin as well which comes in handy for flying.

Of course, mechjeb is for sissies. ;) First person camera sounds neat, though, that would make orbital rendezvous a lot easier.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Of course, mechjeb is for sissies. ;) First person camera sounds neat, though, that would make orbital rendezvous a lot easier.

are you kidding? its lost more ships than i have flying manual.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Cheers, will grab Mechjeb and the Carts then. Anything else?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

The first-person thing would certainly help landing aircraft. I built a few spaceplanes to fly around and train in, but crashed every time.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
anyone have a decent spaceplane tutorial for me to follow or something?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Center of pressure ahead of center of gravity - unstable.
Center of pressure aft of center of gravity - stable.

The center of pressure is where the net lifting force of a wing occurs, and the farther forward the center of gravity is (the location of the net weight downwards) in relation to the center of pressure, the faster the aerospacecraft will have to fly to land safely. The center of gravity of a conventional rocket as we have today will shift significantly over the course of a lauch, as fuel is burned up, etc., etc. You want a stable craft rather than an unstabe one, and the more unstable a craft, the harder it is to control.

...That's basically the basics of figuring out the design of an aircraft or aerospacecraft in a nutshell. I hope that should do. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken