Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374153 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
I tried to use the patcher too, but it crashed, messed up my install, and generally took so long that I downloaded the whole game and installed it from scratch.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Now that docking and fuel transfer is possible (with a bit of modding) I'm going to start launching tankers in preparation for a voyage to whatever they call Jupiter in these parts and back.

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Now that docking and fuel transfer is possible (with a bit of modding) I'm going to start launching tankers in preparation for a voyage to whatever they call Jupiter in these parts and back.
Does the game render planets that far out?
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, 'Jupiter' and its moon system (4 moons I think) are currently the farthest out. Then there's the Mars analog, the Venus analog, and the Mercury analog, plus their respective moons (and Kerbin's two moons).

I think the limitation is going to be instrumentation more than anything, it's going to be hell and a half pulling off a Hohmann transfer.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
hohmann transfers are so 1970s. ive been doing high energy transfers or as i like to call them flat trajectory transfers. you only have to launch a bigger ship :D i did a flat transfer to minmus, managed to land on fumes. made it back on rcs thrusters alone.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Interplanetary transfers are a real pain because you either need to burn a LOT of extra fuel or patiently wait for the planets to align correctly (where "correctly" requires either math, which is no fun, or crazy luck). Practically speaking, this means my kerbals get to spend months/years floating in circles waiting for an intercept.

Still, the solar system (and the new cockpit view) is so stinking cool. I was just about giggling with glee when I was able to do a complete mercury-style launch from my cramped little pod and see my home planet through that tiny little window. (Of course, then I managed to somehow have the parachute rip off on reentry, but that's KSP for you).

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
the parachutes rip off because now they have waaay too much drag. 700 or something, whereas previously they had around 70 or so.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I triple mount parachutes on the sides of the CM now instead of putting one on the top.

Offline crizza

You need to pay for the game right?

Offline newman

Managed to get to Duna (KSP's version of Mars, with a bit of Dune thrown in. Unknown if it has spice, sandworms, and hot women with glowing blue eyes, but that's what rockets are for - to go look for hot women on other planets). Like Mars, it has a thin atmosphere, which begins at some 42km above the surface in this case. Rather than send a large three-man pod on a one-way trip and strand three kerbonauts there, I sent two ships: one a single-seater that had the lander, and the other a three-seater in which I removed one kerbonaut prior to launch (had one crewmember EVA and leave the craft on the launch pad, then did an "end flight" thing for him). That way nobody gets stranded anywhere.

So, I put the larger orbiter in orbit around Duna, and landed on Duna with the one-seater lander. I had just about enough fuel in the lander to reestablish Duna orbit and match orbital paths with the orbiter. I literally spent everything I had to do this - fuel and RCS both. Then, when the orbiter got close enough to the lander, I did an EVA, abandoning the lander in orbit, boarded the orbiter, and used that ship to return all three kerbonauts safely home. Much more work than just sending a three-man pod on a one-way trip, but also infinitely more satisfying :)

I'm not sure if it's possible to actually make a return trip with a landing on Duna with a single craft, and with stock parts only. But it's definitely possible with a two-ship approach using stock-only parts, here's a small slideshow illustrating the mission:

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
My lander design:

That bottom stage was enough to handle the interplanetary transfer and the landing. That left plenty of gas for getting home (even accounting for the inefficiency of the nuke engines in atmo, as it turns out).

Since this was my first attempt, I wasn't sure if the bottom stage would actually have enough fuel for landing or not... thus the double lander legs, hedging my bets. I wasn't about to waste the remains of a perfectly good fuel tank when I could just land on it instead!

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Is it possible to give non command pod parts the magic torque?  I want to make mechjeb probes without having to overengineer them with rcs and sas
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Regular SAS provides this "magic torque" (which is really just torque from gyros, there's nothing magic about it).

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
I thought it only dampened spin around the ..."core" axis.  It doesn't actually provide any maneuvering, correct?
EDIT:  Actually, it would be nice if multiple command pods could be modded in.  That way I could use a proper MechJeb pod probe.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I thought it only dampened spin around the ..."core" axis.  It doesn't actually provide any maneuvering, correct?
EDIT:  Actually, it would be nice if multiple command pods could be modded in.  That way I could use a proper MechJeb pod probe.
No, it provides it on all rotational axis, its just that because of inertia its really hard to tell on anything other than the "roll" axis.  A pod by itself is the most obvious example, but if you put a SAS on the "simple" rocket (pod, separator, SAS, liquid tank, liquid engine) you can maneuver on any rotational axis.

I don't think it is of any help in the translational axis, but I also have never tried.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken