Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373870 times)

Offline crizza

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Great...while trying to...change the orbit of my station, I ended the flight and now I'm unable to bring another one up -.-
Then I played with planes, now I have a plane somewhere in the ocean, but every attempt to build something like a ship,trimaran,whatever ends in a huge splash or just swimming circles -.-

Nice landing! Ever think about sending that plane to Eve? Lots of atmosphere there, yeh?

Lots of atmosphere but no oxygen, so jet engines would be only good as very expensive weights there.

It does make you wonder, though, if you can use an all-rocket spaceplane's lift surfaces to get a less fuel-demanding launch profile than a traditional vertical launch vehicle.  It's something worth exploring, though I'm going to continue to focus on just getting three guys there and back, before I start to worry about fuel economy.

Speaking of fuel, though, I made another orbital refueling craft.  It was getting somewhat tiresome sending up half-a-dozen of the old station oilers to refuel these big, interplanetary vehicles, and so I made a new oiler with double the payload.  Having two Rockomax X32 tanks hastens refueling operations dramatically, and because the lift stage for the previous oiler was pretty overpowered for that vehicle's size, it only required light modification to get this one to orbit, without having to drain the payload tanks.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you get a plane to eve its a fairly easy task to glide down. had a really nice glide slope. took forever to loose altitude. landing speed was ~30m/s, i have trucks on the mun that can do twice that. problem is you need just as much delta-v to get out as you need on kerbin it seems. you got plenty of lift, but a lot of drag too. i was using a kethane engine, i thought i woulnt need a lot of thrust to get up to altitude, but i was wrong. your better off just parachuting down a fully loaded rocket. my attempt was a total disaster.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline newman

Yea I was considering the rocket-plane-with-plenty-of-lift approach for Eve, but decided to go with parachuting a fueled up rocket instead lander. The lander's been safely delivered into low Eve orbit by a pair of tugs. Now it'll wait there until the Discovery can deliver a single Kerbonaut that will go down to the surface and attempt to return (but it needs to finish it's current gig on Duna to do that). Like BlueFlames, I originally planned on doing a 3-man lander, but as I refined the designs I decided it's difficult enough with a one-man lander and don't really need the complication. I reckon I should be ready for the attempt at Eve manned return in a few days.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Well, the nice thing about doing unmanned landings, prior to settling on a manned lander design, is that I can figure out which approach works best, without necessitating future rescue missions.  That in mind, I'm now building an automated rocket-plane, with the intent to send it out, when a launch window to Eve opens up again.

Offline newman

Yep, probes are awesome. Good luck on the manned return mission though, you'll need it. I'll be doing my shot at it in a few days, we'll see if any of us manage to be successful about it. I've nicknamed my operation "Project Cluster****" - as that's pretty much what it is in all phases of the mission.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft

Es fließt durch meine Venen
Es schläft in meinen Tränen
Es läuft mir aus den Ohren
Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

OK, so I've had enough space and the kerbal science society was yelling at me for exploring space but not the planet itself, so i launched expeditions to north and south poles. The notrth pole expedition is taking the bus^, and the south pole will take a boat, and on that note...

anyone ever built a boat that moves faster than 30 m/s?
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I did make this way back when C7 parts were mods and the massive landing gear was basically a skid with insane collision tolerance (the "wheel" was cosmetic only).

It achieved water surface speed of 312 metres per second before the SRB's burned out.

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my attempts to balence my half meter jet engine still results in airplanes on escape trajectories. balancing air-breathers is hard.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline crizza

How would one even build a boat?
My attempt are using the empty structual barrels as body on which the boat floats...but it won't work though.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft

@Crizza: I followed the same logic, except it works... sort of :D Unfortunately i deleted the save with the 30 m/s boat, and I haven't had luck replicating the feat, so the best i can show now is a 20 suffering from engine meltdown above 5/6 throttle :( I need heat dispensers. Basically all you need is for the vector of thrust to go below and in front of the center of mass, otherwise it'll just do a nosedive.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Caspian Sea Monster!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline newman

The Discovery, my interplanetary exploration vessel, just returned from it's maiden voyage to Duna. The ship has a maximum crew capacity of 7 (though this is expandable via dockable modules), but has an on-board AI system that is completely capable of operating the vessel on it's own. This AI has so far proven reliable. Among other things, it likes to play chess with the crew and has a tiny bug - sometimes it gives false positives on main antenna diagnostics, then when the crew EVA's to check, it refuses to open the airlock doors to let them back in. Other than that it functions perfectly, and this small issue is expected to be resolved in the upcoming K.A.L. 9000 1.01 patch. The vessel's first mission was to deliver a 6 man science crew to Duna, and return them safely back home. Here's how it all went down, along with the obligatory bandwidth-gang-rape-array-of-images.

The ship was constructed in my shipyard, orbiting Kerbin at a 300km altitude. It was constructed from two main segments, the engine section and the command section.

Once complete, the Discovery undocked on it's own and transfered itself to a 400km parking orbit, where it was refueled, crewed with a 6 man Duna team, and equipped with two landers, Odyssey-1 and Odyssey-2.

Once ready, with Duna in the correct position for an optimal transfer, the ship made it's Duna transfer burn. Approximately two months later, it found itself in Duna's orbit; all systems have so far performed as expected.

With orbital insertion complete, the crew transferred to the landers, and began their descent to the previously chosen location on the surface, where a surface habitat has been delivered by an earlier, unmanned mission.

The crew of Odyssey-1 about the board their new home for the upcoming year.

View from the observation / command module of the Duna habitat. The crew now had a lot of time to mess around in the sand.. erm, do science. And stuff. With them safely on the surface, the Discovery went on to rendezvous and dock with the Duna Orbital, a drone carrier now designated a station.

Having spent 324 days on the surface, Duna was once again close to being in optimal position for a return to Kerbin, so it was time to depart.

Both landers docked with the Duna Orbital, to which the Discovery was also docked at the time. The station had more than enough fuel remaining to refuel both landers more than once, so one of the landers was to proceed to a short mission to Ike and return to Duna orbit to return the crew to the Discovery for Kerbin departure. After both landers returned to orbit, it would seem the crew of the Odyssey-1 won the honor of going to Ike, by being slightly more fuel efficient. The crew of Odyssey-2 would leave their lander docked to the Duna orbital and wait aboard the Discovery.

Odyssey-1 on a free return trajectory to Ike.

The crew of the Odyssey-1 landed safely on Ike, and spent just over a day there. Their scientific appraisal of the place was "it's awesome, low grav is fun!"

"Just a bit further to the left and we're back on Duna.."

Docked back at the Duna Orbital - all ready for a return trip.

Waving goodbye...

Returning home via Ike gravity assist. This was the first mission where I actually planned for and did an intentional gravity assist :)

Some 54 days later, the Discovery found itself back in Kerbin orbit. The aerocapture maneuver was successful, putting it's apoapsis just above geostationary orbit altitude. I should probably mention that I haven't done this mission in one go - it's been at least some two weeks since I launched it, and I did a lot of other stuff in the mean time. One of them was constructing a new refueling orbital station in Kerbin geostationary orbit. The Discovery wasn't to return to the shipyard, but instead to this new station, called "Waypoint Station". This is basically a drydock/refueling station where the ship will be when not on a mission. Thanks to Ike gravity assist and the fact I left both landers in Duna's orbit, docked to the Duna Orbital (with chutes repacked and completely refueled, they're perfectly capable of being reused), the return cost me very little in terms of fuel.

The Discovery on approach to Waypoint station, in geostationary orbit.

Docking large ships is all about taking it slow.. these things have a lot of inertia and it takes a while for the thrusters to do corrections. So with a bit of concentration and taking the slow and methodical approach, the docking actually isn't that hard.

View of home through the Discovery's starboard window - a view this crew hasn't seen in over a year.

With the Discovery back, all that was left to do was to send a shuttle to return the crew safely home.

Kerbin is larger than the Mun, and the shuttle is larger than both!

On approach to Waypoint Station.

..and we're docked.

View of the docked Discovery through the station's small control tower.

Transferring the crew to the shuttle...

..and going home. Based on previous experiences, while doing a deorbit burn straight from Waypoint, setting a periapsis at some 34.6km should bring the shuttle back over the KSC.

Here's a postcard shot of the 6 brave Kerbonauts that just came back. The three on the right have also been to Ike. The Discovery spent about 58% of it's fuel on this mission and has since replenished to 100% at Waypoint station, so it's ready for it's next mission.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:35:34 pm by newman »

Awesome

Alfurt Kerman is my official stunt pilot.

As I was plotting out his return from Minmus to Kerbin, in the damaged spaceplane, I saw a potential Munar encounter, which could be useful for knocking a few million meters off of his orbit's apoapsis, for just a couple dozen meters-per-second of delta-V.  The only catch was that I was feeling ambitious, and the more effect you want from a gravity assist, the lower you have to let your ship descend, into the gravity well.

Alfurt just passed within 2.5km of Munar "sea" level, traveling 1070m/s, relative to the surface.  I know others have gotten lower and gone faster, but this is the lowest I've sent a Kerbonaut, and being that he was on the night side of the Mun at the time, it was probably an extended pucker moment for Alfurt, knowing that he wouldn't be able to see how high the ridges ahead were.

Now, I just have to get him safely back to the surface of Kerbin, so that I can pin a medal to his chest, rather than to his charred remains.

[edit] Bonus!  The maneuver didn't just lower my orbit, but turned it into a retrograde orbit.  I want to approach KSC from the east, so that if I overshoot the runway, I can still set down on land, without having to come back around.  This saved me the time, trouble, and fuel of reversing my orbit. [/edit]

[edit 2] After a little aerobraking and other faffing about, the damaged spaceplane is now in a stable, circular 85km retrograde orbit, over Kerbin.  I'll land crash land it tomorrow.  Meanwhile, the Eve fleet is now eleven days out.  I'll review their trajectories and do some more tuning tomorrow as well. [/edit 2]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:43:09 am by BlueFlames »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Meanwhile, the Eve fleet is now eleven days out.

??

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy **** newman

Offline crizza

It looks so easy when you do it :banghead:

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I just landed a kludged-together failheap of a rover on Minmus...which I then proceeded to accidently launch into orbit by driving over a hill too fast. 10 bucks says the Kerbal driving said to his comrade, "Hold my beer and watch this," before he climbed into the rover.

I've also been trying to make a rocket boat (inspired by earlier entries in this thread) that I can send to Laythe. Attempts have so far been only moderately successful.

Meanwhile, the Eve fleet is now eleven days out.

??

[img snip]

It has been suggested that the naming of the planet Eve was no accident, as it draws you in, with its intense gravity, and won't let you go, with its thick atmosphere.