Author Topic: translate WCS to spanish  (Read 4452 times)

translate WCS to spanish
Well... I finish the prologue  :(

And my only problem is that I talk a little english so I had to pause the game any time to read the story ^^ (I can read perfectly english  :p)

The matter is that There are many fans of WC that they at least do not know to read English so I question me if exist a way to at least translate the briefing and the script of the missions ant put subs to the scenes...

About of the scenes  I don't know if that can be possible but the other if that can be translated by a file... I would not have problems to translate it....

So I'll wait an answer of the developer team and if there are some latin guy interested on help me... I apreciate that ^^

I do not say anything to translate the scenes or the dialogues to the Spanish language because already you have enough problems to obtain voice acting ^^

Greeting!!!!!
Alek.

PD: Excuse my poor english

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: translate WCS to spanish
Well, you could simply take the mission files, which are nothing more but text files, and translate them :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well, you could simply take the mission files, which are nothing more but text files, and translate them :)

That's not the best way to do things though.

I wrote up this post for how to do things for BtRL a little while back. Following that guide would be far smarter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah, I know 'bout that bit. We are using it for the German translation. :)

I am not sure whenever or not FS2 will be able to render specific German characters though. It should, shouldn't it?

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

That's not the best way to do things though.

I wrote up this post for how to do things for BtRL a little while back. Following that guide would be far smarter.
Doing this... The text of the game could be change it to language from english to spanish or spanish to englis any time?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
yes

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And the real beauty of doing it that way is that if WCS has to patch any of their missions then the translation will continue to work (or will require only minor edits).

I am not sure whenever or not FS2 will be able to render specific German characters though. It should, shouldn't it?

I'm not certain. It should be able to if you set the language to German but there have been reports of that causing other problems with the HUD. Even if it doesn't now a change is being worked on to make sure it does work in the future.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I can only hope it will not interfere with our current missions. We are using lots of unicode characters, which are currently invisible, to cram as many ships as possible into one mission. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I do the same thing myself. It would break a lot of missions if it changed that behaviour.

Well well!

I'll put to work in that when I makes me some time ^^

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

I'm not certain. It should be able to if you set the language to German but there have been reports of that causing other problems with the HUD. Even if it doesn't now a change is being worked on to make sure it does work in the future.

That is related to the strings.tbl. The original FS2 strings tbl (the one included with Saga) does not have all entries for the German laguage, which is why the hud appears to be broken. Including strings.tbl from the German version should fix this issue.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Ah. I didn't know that. I'll have to see about getting that updated for BtRL then. Cause I think we had a few problems with people who already had the German version of FS2 installed.

I assume that there is a proper German version of Strings.tbl in the WCS download then?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
nope. I have to include it in our update.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can you post a copy for me please? I only have the English version so unless DaBrain has the German version installed I don't know where to get it from.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
yes, I'll have to search for my German CDs then :)

-WC Saga's beta tester