Author Topic: final game - difficulty question  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Phenix

final game - difficulty question
hi I was playing Saga the other day.
Playing on NORMAL difficulty, I think enemy figters are moderately difficult to destroy (not to difficult though).  But there is one problem....SWARMS.
When you engage the enemy, usually its you and your wingman against something like 10 figters. The difficulty of the mission is only at the beginnig, because you are heavily outnumberd. This is expecilally my case since i don't have a joystick. This is a bit unrealistic, expecially becase your wingman are dumb as stones (can't even lock a single torpedo on a cpship), so you have to (unrealistic) kill most of the enemy fighters alone...rambo-stile :D  And because there are so many fighters, many times you end up dead.

I was wondering....since you can't upgrade the program AI code, wouldn't be more realistic to make missions with less enemy figters, but more skilled? This would be more realistic, and it would b easyer to manage the battle. When my wingman calls for help, I am usually shooting at 1 aircraft while evading 4 others...so I have no way to really help him......
And another thing. I know many of you are uber-fans of WC who play it so much you every aspect of the game, but I think it is better to make missions as cinematic as possible, instead of ultra-difficult (just look at half life 2).  I noticed this expecially in the missions fans made for WC Saga...some of them are very nice, but veeeeeryyy difficult and frustrating on normal difficulty.

Please tell me what you think difficulty should be in saga

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: final game - difficulty question
hey, I prefer full keyboard above anything, anyday  :)

I actually think the fighters are still too easy (on medium, I know they get MUCH better when increasing difficulty) but the capships are way to strong. Even on easy !
You see? Everybody has a differend opinion and some here actually like challenges ;)

Nevertheless, wait until somebody of the Team drops in.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, you should download the Wing Commander 4 demo. That missions should show you the direction in which Saga is currently heading. It should be also mentioned, that the WC4 demo incorporates a few balancing tweaks (mostly missile usage related).

Capital ships are generally fairly difficult to destroy, but it is intentional! Fighters on the other hand: we try to avoid situations in which a player has to face more than 2 enemies at once. Of course, it also depends on the ship you are flying - an Excalibur is so powerful (and has autoaim) that there is not much sense in having just a few fighters in a mission. They simply do not pose much of a threat.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Hm... note to self... remember to check difficulty setting when play testing missions...
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H