Author Topic: Kilrathi Death Message bug  (Read 776 times)

Kilrathi Death Message bug
The Knossos version of WC Saga, Version 0.9.62 (the bug may exist in other versions, I can't attest to that) has a bug in messages.tbl that results in the InvercagillControl death message (The hull is rupturing! AAAAHH!) being played for inappropriate deaths, most notably Kilrathi deaths.

Took me a while to figure out the bug, but the problem seems to be that messages.tbl is missing the required persona declaration (as quoted below) for InvercagillControl, which seemingly leaves the InvercagillControl death message unparented because its persona doesn't exist. This presumably interacts with the way message substitution works in such a way that it ends up getting played for deaths that it shouldn't.

Quote from: messages.tbl
$Persona: InvercagillControl
$Type: large
;+Terran

The Terran line is probably not needed, as the ; is presumably commenting it out, but that's the way all the other entries appear. With this added the message no longer plays improperly.
The presentation of this bug may be dependent on FSO version, potentially due to changes in or the addition of message substitution and/or automatic persona assignment. But the bug exists within the files regardless of this fact.

Offline CT27

Re: Kilrathi Death Message bug
I've run into this issue too playing on 23.2.1 official.

There used to be a couple different Kilrathi death audio clips...but now the Terran death clip "The hull is rupturing! AAAHH" is the only line you hear whenever you're supposed to hear a Kilrathi death audio.

Can a fix for this be released?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Someone brought this to my attention so I pinged Admiral Nelson.  Thanks very much for figuring out the fix. :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, version 0.9.63 is uploaded with the InvercagillControl fix from sqparadox.

If someone can provide a bugfix for the Kilrathi death audio clip, I can upload that one as well.

Offline CT27

https://fsnebula.org/mod/Wing_Commander_Saga

I went to there since I don't use Knossos at the moment.  I tried to download the Hermes Core file but after it downloaded my computer automatically deleted/quarantined it and said there was a trojan there.  I haven't had this problem downloading manually from fsnebula in a long time I think.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, maybe you had an overzealous trojan detector.  I can assure you I didn't add any trojans to the update.

Consider using Knossos.NET.  It's very powerful and it has a bunch of improvements over the original Knossos.

Offline CT27

Would it be helpful if I PMed you what it said the name of the "trojan" was (it said it was a script that could execute attacks)? 

Maybe you could tell me that that's a specific file or something that is actually necessary for the game and not a bad virus.

FWIW, I tried downloading several of the other links on the WC Saga FSNebula page I linked and none of them had a similar problem to "core".

Offline CT27

A minor update:

The problem has been somewhat mitigated for me (though not completely solved as I still can't download the 'core' file from the WC Saga FSNebula page).  What I did was I downloaded and installed every other file (except for 'core') on the WC Saga page (except for the two movie files as I didn't think they'd make a difference for this issue)...effects/interface/etc.

I still get that one particular human death audio/head animation "hull is rupturing...AAAAHHH" after Kilrathi fighters are destroyed...but at least now I get Kilrathi death audio/ani when Kilrathi cap ships are destroyed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sure, PM me what it said.

Offline CT27

Unfortunately in the Caliban/Torgo part of the game I'm now in, it looks like Kilrathi capships are back to displaying the "Hull is rupturing! AAHH" human audio/ani again.

Unfortunately in the Caliban/Torgo part of the game I'm now in, it looks like Kilrathi capships are back to displaying the "Hull is rupturing! AAHH" human audio/ani again.

The change is in Core, so if you can't download core, you won't get the fix. I would echo Goober5000 and recommend using Knossos.NET.
Alternatively, you can just go to Knossos\gamedata\Wing_Commander_Saga\Wing_Commander_Saga-0.9.6X\data\tables\messages.tbl and insert the required lines (see top post) around line 583, before InvincibleControl. It might not matter where it goes in the file, but that's where it is in both my modified file and the official 0.9.63 messages.tbl (I did a compare).

Offline CT27

I have some mostly good news to report.

I used Notepad to put in those three lines of text Sqpar posted in the messages tbl file.  I tested for several missions afterwards (I'm now in the Cairo section of the campaign) and I'm no longer getting that Terran death audio/ani when a Kilrathi craft is destroyed.

However (this is what I meant when I said 'mostly' good news), since I put in that fix a few days ago, I no longer get any generic Kilrathi death audio/anis at all when their ships are destroyed.  This isn't a huge deal and overall it's an acceptable tradeoff IMO, but I just thought I'd let you know.

FWIW, here's how I went about updating for these recent issues:
-After 0.9.63 was released, I manually downloaded and installed every file on the FSNebula WC Saga page except for Core and the two movie files.
-I used Notepad to manually edit in the fixes in for this issue and the Vega 5 issue from the other thread.

So it looks like I defacto have the 0.9.64 version of "Core" (that's the file the fixes were in from what I've been told), but the 0.9.63 version of all other files from the FSNebula WC Saga page.  Should I bother manually updating the other files to 0.9.64?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Try using Knossos.NET to update to 0.9.64, and add a whitelist exception on your antivirus for the core files.

Offline CT27

I tested the 0.9.64 version of Core from the FSNebula WCSaga page, and this time my family's computer didn't ring up a virus/trojan when it downloaded (whereas for some reason the 0.9.63 Core did).  In a few days or so, I'll try downloading and installing all 0.9.64 WCSaga files from FSNebula and see if that changes things.

Offline CT27

Another update:

I downloaded all files manually from FSNebula for WC Saga 0.9.64 (no virus problems this time) and installed them and played a few more missions.  There are a couple more Kilrathi death audio/anis this time around but still few in general (a lesser number than a few versions ago at least).

In general, the game works fine and this is a lot better than having Terran death audio/anis when you destroy Kilrathi.