Author Topic: having issues with joystick Hotas setup  (Read 8828 times)

having issues with joystick Hotas setup
So I got the CH pedals and the Saitek X52 throttle. I wish to test them out in this game alongside my CH Fighterstick. Problem is is that I'm not able to configure any of them in the options menu and I can't even my craft with the joystick. I'm willing to do some troubleshotting of course as I would love to put my HOTAS setup to the test.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: having issues with joystick Hotas setup
Unfortunately WCS:DD doesn't support multiple joystick devices.  You'll need to use some software (like ppjoy?) to combine all the devices into a single virtual device.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you had the CH throttle (or were willing to give up throttle altogether), then CH Control Manager can combine the controllers into a single device. Unfortunately, a Saitek throttle won't be supported by the CH CM.

Alright, I've found a virtual application called vJoy that I'm trying to install (even though it's taking a long while to install the thing). Will this work for the rig that I'm using right now?

I've decided to remove the Saitek throttle for Wing Commander Saga. Now I want to know is how do I configure my fighterstick and pedals to where it can work together in Wing Commander Saga on CH manager. Anybody got a map or some instructions for how can I achieve this?

Or at the very least, how do I get the scripts for Freespace 2 to work and for the joystick and pedals to work on that script line as well.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Try the "map wizard" in the Control Manager. It's pretty easy to use. The map it produces should work without problems.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think there's a link in my sig with tutorials for getting vJoy set up if that helps...

EDIT: Yeah, the link called UJR / vJoy, check that out (uses both UJR and vJoy together).

Alright, trying JR2's Vjoy and UjJR option. Now I've configured my joystick (not my pedals and Saitek throttle that I'm still trying to get configured) Now in the instructions list, I'm at the part where I'm wondering for the part in the instructions saying Start -> joy.cpl. What does that mean exactly and how can I get there please?

How do I map those virtual buttons again? I'm at the part where I'm trying to figure out how to configure my pedals and throttle along with configuring those virtual buttons using Vjoy and UJR.

I have the joystick working on UJR, though the virtual buttons haven't been mapped yet and I still wish to add the throttle and pedals as well. Currently stuck at step Start -> joy.cpl.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Start - run {or just hold Win key and press R, then release both}- joy.cpl - hit the Enter key

Directly opens up Windows' Control Panel Joystick / Controller settings.

Here's a list of the standard ones (I find appwiz.cpl most convenient {opens up Add/Remove Programs})

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Panel_(Windows)#Standard_applets

Another useful list is the list of Microsoft System Console shortcuts:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/63945-msc-microsoft-system-console-list-description.html

Such as diskmgmt.msc (opens up the Disk Management Console directly)

Between those two, you can open most system settings directly.

However, the author of that tut should have clarified that it was just the controller settings part of the control panel.  :nod:

Alright, I got the thing set there with Vjoy, thank you. Now before I can map the virtual stick, I would like to ask of how can I get my pedals and throttle to work on it as well.

How I can use all three of them in game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:14:10 pm by Nuke87654 »

Try the "map wizard" in the Control Manager. It's pretty easy to use. The map it produces should work without problems.

Now I'm back to using the pedals and joystick and I had created a map wizard and profile for it on CH manager. How do I activate it and use it in game?

Btw, I'm happy to be receiving help on the matter. Sorry for annoying, just that I'm extremely inexperienced in regards to this so I had little choice but to seek help from smarter folks such as yourselves.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You need to make one virtual joystick, with enough buttons and axis to handle the input from all 3 of your devices, and then map your devices to it, and use the virtual joystick in WCS.

So, see how many buttons total you have, and how many axis, and configure your virtual joystick.  Then map that actual buttons & axis to that joystick.  If you search youtube for your setup and UJR / vjoy, you will probably find a tutorial of some type.  Like "ch pedals x52 vjoy ujr" or something would be a good youtube search.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also you can only use the first five axes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, stick has two, throttle has one, and pedals are another, which is 4, so that should cover them all, correct?  Or is the hatswitch 2 axis as well?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Now I'm back to using the pedals and joystick and I had created a map wizard and profile for it on CH manager. How do I activate it and use it in game?
Once you have the map, save it. Then, there is a "download" button in the CM that will set the joysticks to use the map. You may need to set the joystick in the FSO launcher to "Control Manager Device 1" as well. Once that is done, just start the game. It should recognize everything.