Author Topic: Deimos  (Read 10622 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/htlcorvette2t-01.zip

ok, so I'm trying to get this finished, you'll need to make some small tbl changes, turret 1,2,3,and 4 need to have the letter 'a' added to the end of them, this is becase I'm giveing them lower LOD models.

I'm sure I missed some stuff so tell me what it is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:15:18 am by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Isn't this already done?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, I got it working in game then got distracted
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Eh, that link should probably be http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/htlcorvette2t-01.zip

I'm guessing this one has LODS & debris.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
heh, yeah, you can probly guess what I do when ever I post a link
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That's why the call me "The Trivial Psychic".  Anyway, I had a chance to look through it in MODview (before said program gobbled up all of my free RAM, ballooned my swap file, and froze my system requiring a cold boot) and I have noticed a few things.

The good:

-HTL Coolness!!!!
-LODS
-Debris
-Destroyed Engine Submodels :yes:

The Bad:

-One of the turret normals is off, starboard side, rear flank
-Rotational main turrets have no rotation listed in the POF data, though the gun barrels have the wrong rotation axes
-There appears to be a bank of primaries in there (firepoint near the rear main engine)

I'm guessing that these are non-intentional.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that gun was being used to position thrusters as PCS lacks visualiseation, won't cause any problems but it will be removed.

as long as the turret higherarchy is set up corectly they'll rotate properly, they move right in game so I ain't stressing over them

that turret normal is a genuine problem, fixed it

try it out in game.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
My model view just started acting "wacky".. it won't open high poly models anymore (like our sdf-1)... does anyone have the link to the HTL modelview??? (or rather the increased limits one?)...
 Much thanks..
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well thats ok, cause your not gona find in game bugs looking at it in a viewer...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Roanoke

I always get that too many binding boxes error. Where's that higher limits ModView again ?

Offline Eviscerator

• Who? What? Noway!
I am interested in getting my hands on the HTL Modelview and the most recent version as well. I thought I had the most recent one, but what I have does not work for the majority of things coming out.

Link please?

And why do we not have a database for these things?
The Lurker Extreme

To study and not think is a waste, but to think and not study is dangerous.

Hands off me haggis!!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Do a search for high poly limits modelview and make sure the poster is Vasudan Admiral
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
:doubt:
get your own thread!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

This ship is really well designed. Its a major improvement compared to the vanilla deimos. The debris works fine, too. I haven´t noticed much slowdowns, but my machine is a really big one, so i can´t say, how it works on slower computers (especially in huge battles). I didn´t alter my ship-table, but it seems to be no problem. IMHO nice work. I´m really looking forward for the final release of the orion.

BTW: this table-thing is really disturbing. I don´t think, that there are many people out there, who are still playing the freespace2 main-campaign. Mod makers and campaign-writers (god bless them all) usually don´t implement all this cool stuff in their table-files. So most people never play all this nice improvements (like decals or afterburnertrails) you are working so hard on. It´s a shame.

I´m not really into this stuff, but could the use of modular table-files be a solution?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, I fixed up the turret normals on my version, added the rotation data for the turret bases (whether you think its relevant or not), and removed the primary firepoint, but I have noticed a few more things.  Firstly, if you open up 2 Modview windows and bring up your Deimos (I haven't checked this with your previous release) and the original [V], and select the side-view on both, you can clearly see that yours is out of position compared to the original.  While you may see this as trivial, since you copied the subsystem info (size, location) right from the original, they are now out of position.  The communications subsystem now barely touches the main hull.  I've repaired these (with the exception of the engines since they're submodels, which could alter game ballance somewhat), though I left the 2 split subsystems where they were, since they are of less consequence.  Next, on your LOD1 you have turrets, but I think you left out some texturing for them, as they come up as red in Modview.  Also, the barrels on these LOD1 turrets seem to lack a subobject name... is this intentional?  Are they required for something like this?

Don't be put out by my constant questioning of this model, as its light-years ahead of anything I could ever create, but I'd like to see your work in the new mediaVP, so its best if all of the potential bugs are ironed out.

Later!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Um, have you ever heard the expression, "It's TOO GOOD!" Now that I can see it, my God man you got so much detail in those engines and those rear pipes people can barely see (unless my settings are wrong) and that section top middle half circle-like section (ribbed?)... Don't get me wrong it looks awesome in solid mode, but I think those details are swallowed up by the mapping... Wouldn't it be better to shave those down a little and optimize it more instead of throwing polys into those sections if it may be a waste?

Just an opinion, maybe you can see something I can't...
(no disrespect intended)...

Yeah and work on Aurora some more, I like it !
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Roanoke

I noticed that too. The tile looks slightly stretched too.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
all that detail is quite visable when you have it lit in game and/or are cruseing over the surface

you didn't try to load this up in Aurora did you? cause if you did, I'm suprised there isn't smoke riseing from the lifeless mass of melted plastic and metal that you once called your computer.
man if I ever get back to Aurora I'm going to have to start all over again and actualy have some idea what I'm doing ahead of time.

the subobject names in LOD1 is an error, I'll fix it.
and I guess I'll have to tweak the subsystems aswell
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
This is probably just personal opinion but i belive a debris model that "fills space" looks better than vaporising a large amount of the ship. For example the HTL fenris/levithian

IMO having the more of the "core" of the ship being left behind after the armour blows off would look nicer.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."