Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 374228 times)

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
Very Sword-of-the-Stars-like design there Nuke, awesome. Reminds me, I can get to my previously mentioned project now.... :D
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
definitely going to be building a better designed mk2 version. il probibly keep the fuel segment, redo the propulsion segment, ditch the rcs segment and improve the ring segment, and build a better lander, and then build it engine -> ring -> fuel so i can jettison fuel segments as needed. gonna take what i have out and see what it can do, and that will give me a better idea of what needs to be done.

e:
needless to say it broke up shortly after reaching kerbin escape velocity. first the engines broke off. ripped all four quad couplers right off. right on the one module i didnt need, the rcs pod. i decided early on i would jettison it with the first fuel pod, but it didnt even make it that far. sent jeb out to disconnect the broken rcs segment from the engines so i could attempt a re-docking with the engine cluster. failing that i figured id have to toss the fuel too. in an attempt to save fuel jeb started transfering fuel from the pod to the engines, unfortunately the engine was on and the thing commenced to spinning and promptly disintegrated into a cloud of debris. fortunately i still had the lander engine. unfortunately when i tried to return to kerbin orbit i ran into said debris, and it somehow managed to disconnect my rover from the ship in a way that was not subject to the possibility of repair. but the lander was still intact so jeb and 4 of the 9 crew decided to detour for minmus instead, and are now doing donuts in the rover. the remaining 5 kerbonauts are stuck on whats left of the ring, they may not have propulsion, or electricity, but they have gravity (and plenty of fuel).

one thing i noticed is that i need to put on a pod core or a seat so i can control bits as they fall off, to prevent making things worse. i also redesigned the ring, adding more hitchiker modules, and also merging it with the engine cluster. unfortunately i was too pissed off to hit f1 a bunch of times, hopefully i can post pics of the rescue mission.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:47:52 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
new version puts everything that is a ship on the ring segment. so you only need to add fuel pods and possibly extra rcs tanks if desired. more space for kerbals, and i threw in some cockpits so i didnt have to clime ladders to get to the command pod at the hub. i wanted to use the cupolas but couldn't get it to work right, and they are also really heavy. im convinced the ring by itself can make it to duna or eve, and i figure each fuel pod you add extends you out to the next orbit.

here i am siphoning fuel off of the damaged fuel pods. i didnt use it all, and since i ejected my forward rcs pods i decided i didnt want to take it with me.

i used a lot of rcs fuel to manuver the ship, since the new version has fewer gyros. i may rectify that eventually, but for now i can just refuel from the old ring.

it was also loaded with fuel and a lot of rcs tankage. 4 tanks turned out to be enough if you are not doing a lot of docking, i only used about a third of it. but i decided i wanted to minimize my refueling process at kerbin

nother shot of the ring-ring docking. i figure the rest of this may be useful on future missions so i just leave it foating somewhere between duna and kerbin. i return the crew to kerbin space where i will pick up jeb from minmus, refuel, equip, and try again. seems it all comes down to the large docking ports being a load of suck. with shoddy tensile strength. they dont seem to like to multidock like the smaller ports do. i seriously considering using smaler ones, the would at least be somewhat easier to align.

all in all the new version worked a lot better. fixed the power issues with rtgs, i can just leave the lights on now. i put seats and solar panels on the fuel pods to make them controllable if bad things happen. im considering swapping the shileded side ports with non shielded ones, and then equip manuvering pods to them to minimize stress on the joints. i need to add more gyros though, the ship has no turning power.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:45:01 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline crizza

I don't even pretend to know how you all build these impressive rockets, mine are all Saturn V things^^

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well this is what the ring looks like on the pad.

takes 12 large tanks and 8 mainsails to just get it part of the way to orbit. at about 2000m i also light the 12 nervas, where their isp > 400. just before the tanks run out i jettison them and they shoot off the ship because they have more twr than the nervas. i then turn under it to avoid collision. the nervas are still somewhat slow so i need to aim for a high appogee and then spend a long time burning the nervas at 45 degrees just to buy me time to complete the orbit. the ring tanks are almost completely drained in orbit, which is why i need to dock up at least one fuel pod if i want to go interplanetary.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:20:12 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Yes, launching large scale constructions, whether they be stations or deep space vessels, is something of an art. By art, I mean something more along the lines of "finally discovering how to shove a whale into space and just barely make orbit". Coincidentally may or may not have anything to do with the axiom of "Add More Boosters!"
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i only ever use srbs if i have a slow initial climb. i then use them as a means to add acceleration while i wait for the tanks to drain enough to be somewhat more effective. though sometimes i will add lf tanks to the tops of the boosters for a little bit extra fuel capacity.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Manouver nodes mastery +1 exp.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken