Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170695 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
He's adding autoaim to the mod to help with joystick aiming.

And I've always dreamt that using a joystick would make it easier... :nervous:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hmm, autoaim.... Meh, I'm from the old school. In my day, we didn't have no new-fangled autoaim functions, we just played with our joysticks like normal people!

(...In retrospect, maybe I should have used less sexually suggestive language. But that would have been less fun.)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hmm, autoaim.... Meh, I'm from the old school. In my day, we didn't have no new-fangled autoaim functions, we just played with our joysticks like normal people!

(...In retrospect, maybe I should have used less sexually suggestive language. But that would have been less fun.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm only using it because my cheapo HOTAS has a deadzone issue which makes precise aiming bloody difficult. A little aim-assist compensates for this quite nicely  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Ok so I did the instructions above...and when I press Play, now I can't even see ships in the ships database, maybe just their running lights or a couple of textures, if I see anything at all. When I run fast debug, the game starts without a problem...but why do I have to press the "run fast debug" button to playFS Blue instead of the play button?

Anyway, that debug log is here: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1231d3cb0d330e638b7ed3

Very silly fix, but turning shadows on or off has helped me with this in the past.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok so I did the instructions above...and when I press Play, now I can't even see ships in the ships database, maybe just their running lights or a couple of textures, if I see anything at all. When I run fast debug, the game starts without a problem...but why do I have to press the "run fast debug" button to playFS Blue instead of the play button?

Anyway, that debug log is here: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1231d3cb0d330e638b7ed3

Very silly fix, but turning shadows on or off has helped me with this in the past.

I can try this. Where and how can I turn shadows off? I've, uh, been out of the loop until recently. :nervous: :confused: :nervous: :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:17:45 pm by Su-tehp »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
If you're using Knossos, there's a little drop down button for each mod you have installed. In that menu select "FSO Settings." Under the "Graphics" list there should be an item that says "Enable Shadows." It's a rather intensive feature that will slow down lower end GPUs.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
If you're using Knossos, there's a little drop down button for each mod you have installed. In that menu select "FSO Settings." Under the "Graphics" list there should be an item that says "Enable Shadows." It's a rather intensive feature that will slow down lower end GPUs.

Thank you for this. I'll experiment with it and see if it solves the problem(s).
EDIT: Oooooooooh-kay. So I went into the FSO settings and disabled shadows and pressed play. After waiting 15 minutes for the Freespace SCP screen to go away/finish loading/whatever, I alt-tabbed and saw an error message (didn't understand what it said) and pressed "Debug" 6 times, THEN Blue Planet activated and I went straight to the Tech Menu to see if the ships appeared properly.

Good news: they did.

Bad news: I couldn't switch campaigns out of The Blade Itself; it just wouldn't let me switch to any other campaign in Blue Planet. I'd click on Freespace Blue or War in Heaven 1 or 2 or AoA and it just wouldn't take. I'm running a debug now, it says:

Error: game settings.tbl(line28):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Movie subtitle font: 1] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

Incidentally, this is the error message I got the first time.

Should I be running this in 19.0.0-RC2 instead of 3.8.0-3? What's the deal?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:31:17 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

That means your build is too old and doesn't have proper game_settings.tbl support.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
That means your build is too old and doesn't have proper game_settings.tbl support.

And I fix that how?

The Order of the Stick

Use a more recent build?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Use a more recent build?

I'm using 19.0.0-RC2 and/or 3.8.0-3. Aren't those the most recent builds?

Anyway, here's my most recent debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e22b619cb0d330e678b7ede
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:41:13 am by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Use 19.0.0-RC2 or RC1. The log reports you're using 3.8.0, so I wonder if you're selecting the build properly.

You can also see how ships look in the Lab: Press F3 in main menu, select some ship, select some background, and then try having fun with some of the checkboxes and sliders provided in menus. I think it allows you to turn shadows on and off so you can see how they affect your visuals.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why does BP require some random new build instead of latest stable? And why doesn’t Knossos auto install the right build?

IIRC Darius updated BP to work with the 4.0 MVPs which require some recent build.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I managed to get Blue Planet working again by deleting that particular pilot and recreating her. It's weird that my other pilots didn't have a problem activating AoA or WiH but that particular one couldn't switch out of TBI. And Mito, thank you for letting me know about F3. Another poster told me about it in another thread (I'm trying to find suitable logistics ships for my own only-a-gleam-in-my-eye-at-present mod), but I didn't realize you could mess with the backgrounds and checkboxes and such. :cool: :nod: ;7 :drevil:

The Order of the Stick

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The Lab is extremely underrated. Just as lighting settings which don't seem to be very common knowledge.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Well most of these things are more or less unknown, not documented on the wiki (atleast not in a way you'd find them without knowing that they're there).

Offline Darius

The BP update was months ago.
 Unless something has changed in the mvps there's no reason why it needs a newer build than 19.0.0.

The log says he's running BP on 3.8.0 somehow.