Author Topic: 14 years since he started playing FreeSpace, and he's still a fanatic!  (Read 8531 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: 14 years since he started playing FreeSpace, and he's still a fanatic!
In fact it's now clear that this interview had nothing to do with 'a 14 year old FreeSpace vet', it's just about backdooring High Max's posts onto this forum.

Offline Lorric

In fact it's now clear that this interview had nothing to do with 'a 14 year old FreeSpace vet', it's just about backdooring High Max's posts onto this forum.
I disagree. If this was happening week after week, then I could get behind it, but it's not.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I disagree. If this was happening week after week, then I could get behind it, but it's not.

As you are newer than these issues and unaware of the personal relationships involved, your ignorance is forgivable. Your insistence that you know better than people who are familiar with the issues at hand and the personal relationships involved is not forgivable.

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I won't be under any threat from this, and I can fully understand not wanting there to be a conduit for High Max to get back on HLP when he's not supposed to be here, but this post was supposed to be a positive thing.

High Max had and wasted his chance to be a productive member of not one but two Freespace communities. He's a deeply unpleasent racist, mysoginistic wanker and his views have no place on this board. The fact that he'd probably strenuously deny being such doesn't make him right. We banned him for that reason. That and the fact that many of his posts were simply "Here's my completely ****ed up opinion on something, Discuss"

And the last time (and only time I know of) that this was done, the thread created was positive:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85665.5

Maybe this one would have been too if it hadn't been placed in interviews.

I don't care where it was placed. I don't care if it was positive before. That probably only happened precisely because High Max can't post, making it a one sided discussion at best. I care that someone wants to give High Max a backdoor onto this board. I'm flat out stating that's not going to happen.

If you absolutely must still go through with this, at least make sure Mobius knows about it (if you haven't already) but I disagree with this. This is not in the name of trying to get High Max back here, he was just showing you all something nice.

I've posted my intent to do that publicly on this board. If Mobius isn't reading threads he started, tough ****.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

Such hatred... :eek2:
I've posted my intent to do that publicly on this board. If Mobius isn't reading threads he started, tough ****.
I will tell him.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Feel free to tell DSmart [3000AD] too :P

And maybe an0n, so I've heard.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:51:37 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Having read the thread I wanted to suggest perhaps something obvious, but it would be nice to see more interviews about notable individuals of the community, in particular if people are seeking the spotlight for their mod works or similarly. Certainly we have IRC and can communicate personally with eachother, however, from what I see outside of HLP, it would be nice to have content outwardly to acquaint newcomers to the regulars and showing that the community is hard at work at making new content. I'm certain this is not a original suggestion but I think approaching things constructively could go a long way.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's part of the goal of the 'find your next campaign' thread - putting all the work in the context of a dialogue and showing how every campaign helps every other campaign. Play JAD. I spend so much time hanging out with Axem and Spoon that I should probably do interviews with both of them about their interests and formal techniques. Play JAD. I also think visual techniques in BtA deserve some serious examination and would probably reward some scholarship. Play JAD. The problem with attempts to write any serious critical work about HLP is that a lot of the people who want to do it are basically interested in pissing on other peoples' work rather than thoughtful, joyful examination of what's been achieved. Play JAD. What I'm trying to say here is that you should be careful what you wish for, because formalized attempts to get things done around here usually end up killed by inertia or by attempts to exploit them. Play J

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh yeah.. and definitely play JAD. For realz.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Was that supposed to compel me to an action? It failed miserably General. Now , if you'll excuse me, JAD's installing.

Offline Lorric

Bring Spoon to me. I will grill him thoroughly on all things Wings of Dawn. :cool: :D

Speaking of interviews, I clicked the link in the OP. That's got a link to this page. I don't like the idea of someone's first impression of HLP to be this thread. However, at first I thought that was Max's blog, but it's got interviews by Mobius on it, so now I'm thinking it's Mobius' blog, not Max's blog.

I looked at the related section at the bottom. There's an interview where he (Mobius) himself is interviewed, Ransom, Battuta, Trashman, there's probably more.

Mobius, if it was made by you, not Max, would you be so kind as to remove the link to this thread please? This is not a good face for people to see for their first look at HLP. I've never seen this kind of hate before on HLP.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This is a fine thread for people to see. The fact that HLP detests racist, misogynistic scum is something to be proud of.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Such hatred...

I don't think you know what this means and I really don't think you should wander around proclaiming everyone hates a past member when you've again got no perspective worth a damn on the issues involved because you weren't a participant and one side tried to erase the evidence.

Because it really seems like just flaming then. Out of blatant ignorance.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
As a 15 year FreeSpace veteran I nominate myself to be interviewed next.

Okay, here's some questions for you...

1: Can you summarize your history with the FreeSpace fan community for us? (And if yes, what would that summary be?)

2: What accomplishments within the community are you proudest of?

3: Boxers or briefs?

4: What missions or campaigns that you weren't involved with do you most enjoy?

I only really care about answers to the non-even non-single prime-numbered question(s)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Can I make a request? Can we just lock this thread and open a new one where we can talk about something productive? This thread seems to be opening a lot of closed wounds, and while you all have your reasons, and are quite frankly entitled to them, just being angry isn't going to forward anything in the community. And from the looks of it, everything was already behind you, so can we leave it once more?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, probably better that way.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns