Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 73527 times)

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
http://robertsspaceindustries.com The webpage, the access is 42.

http://i.imgur.com/nhjlD.jpg  What you will find once you get in.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/znii1/roberts_space_industries_new_homepage_message/

The reddit link i found it at.

Guys, we might be looking at the next commercial full fledged Space Sim that caters to the old school of space sims.

Already signed up and got my golden ticket. GOGOGO.
Signed, me

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
Signed up ... reading through the site now ...

This sounds promising:
the goal of the Roberts Space Industries website is to bring together truly hardcore space simulation fans from around the world to celebrate the genre

@Mura: thanks for the access code, my binary is a bit rusty
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:24:30 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Let's hope he makes space sims better than he makes websites...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
It seems to be a team, as I signed up i got a message I thought was scripted, I replied to it and got a prompt response from a non-robot.
Exciting times these* are.
Signed, me

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Let's hope he makes space sims better than he makes websites...
He does. Believe me, he does. This guy's a living legend, made so many great titles, starting with Wing Commander and continuing on through to Freelancer. I'm looking forward to this new project.
The only downside seems to be that it might be an MMO, but I guess that for a game by Chris freakin' Roberts I won't mind.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Exciting!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Other downside: whatever it is is apparently at least 2 years out.

Got my ticket, at any rate. :)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's supposed to be out at 10 October, this year. Or at least, that's what the countdown seems to indicate.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
More specifically, 10 A.M. EST, on 10 October.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
MMO? What!? You already killed me off with that!

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
i think he said it would be announced then

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
i think he said it would be announced then

Correct. 10/10/12 is for the announcement, and once you sign in the page talks about engaging the community about the project "for the next 24 months."

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I'm in. Now we play the waiting game...
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
MMO? What!? You already killed me off with that!
Well, he talked about how internet enabled him to make a "connected experience", which implies an MMO. Freelancer had a pretty good multiplayer (on which a fan-made MMORPG was built, by the way), so if he now can do something he couldn't by the time of FL, it's making a fully fledged MMO.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Well, he talked about how internet enabled him to make a "connected experience", which implies an MMO. Freelancer had a pretty good
multiplayer (on which a fan-made MMORPG was built, by the way), so if he now can do something he couldn't by the time of FL, it's making a fully fledged MMO.

Wasn't Freelancer's Mutiplayer originally intended to be like an MMO, though?

A lot of intended features had to be cut out during Freelancer's development cycle.  This game might be trying to do some of the things they couldn't manage with Freelancer.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wasn't Freelancer's Mutiplayer originally intended to be like an MMO, though?

A lot of intended features had to be cut out during Freelancer's development cycle.  This game might be trying to do some of the things they couldn't manage with Freelancer.
Actually, they did accomplish that goal. There's a fanmade Freelancer MMORPG called Discovery. It does include quite a lot of additions (an entire new faction, for starters), but it's also possible to play retail FL like that.
I really don't see what great innovations could be introduced here that weren't in FL. I think it'll be pretty much another MMO, at least this time it'll be well written. I doubt it'll have an SP mode, a campaign and a military setting I liked so much in WC games.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Actually, they did accomplish that goal. There's a fanmade Freelancer MMORPG called Discovery. It does include quite a lot of additions (an entire new faction, for starters), but it's also possible to play retail FL like that.
I really don't see what great innovations could be introduced here that weren't in FL. I think it'll be pretty much another MMO, at least this time it'll be well written. I doubt it'll have an SP mode, a campaign and a military setting I liked so much in WC games.

The Discovery modding team did not accomplish anything near what was originally planned for Freelancer.  Eve Online accomplished many of these goals, but Eve is very much a niche game with its own set of issues.

Quote from: Wikipedia Article on Freelancer
In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.

MMO or not, I'll pay and play it, but if it is an MMO, I'll probably be sick of it within a month.
Also, still havn't gotten the activation email since this morning...how long did it take you guys to get it?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:04:56 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Discovery modding team did not accomplish anything near what was originally planned for Freelancer.  Eve Online accomplished many of these goals, but Eve is very much a niche game with its own set of issues.
I was only referring to an "MMO-like multiplayer". The initial goal of Freelancer was far too ambitious for the age it was made in. Roberts might accomplish most of his goals for FL now, but I'd still prefer to see another WC title, or a singleplayer sequel to Freelancer.

MMO or not, I'll pay and play it, but if it is an MMO, I'll probably be sick of it within a month.
Also, still havn't gotten the activation email since this morning...how long did it take you guys to get it?

I got mine immediately.

And if it is like Freelancer, but an MMO with other players taking the place of the AI (in the open section at least), I will be all over that. That's why I didn't keep playing past the end of the campaign, just got boring without any real challenges out there.