Author Topic: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses  (Read 56928 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses
ROFL... actually, my recent e-mails I've attempted have been bounced back... mailer daemon failure.  Perhaps they had to change it...  :sigh:
http://volition-inc.com/Contact/

I think they don't want people e-mailing them directly anymore.

You could always call them though, I provide no guarantee you'd get past the receptionist.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Topgun

the guy who did the tables at Volition could ask :D

You mean takashi? :wakka:

He downgraded his Volition involvement on GW so that he did a 'internship' at Volition.  Course I could PM him on GW with your request if only to get his response  :P

please do! I wonder how he will react?

Takashi/ oh, i don't talk to those guys any more... but if you want I can make my own ulssys (bad spelling on purpose) just after I finish my shined Kato :D \takashi
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:33:48 am by Topgun »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I can tell you now it will be almost identical to that.

Offline peterv

This is a Ulysses i've made as a basis for a modification i have in mind. I know it is not a great model, not even a prototype (it's the official fighter whith some work on it) but i think we can use it until a better one appears.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Solatar

That's actually not a bad start, but like you said it could use some work.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Ulysses is seriously going to need a better cockpit.

Offline peterv

The Ulysses is seriously going to need a better cockpit.

:nod:I agree. Any suggestions?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
An unconventional one at least. Maybe something like the 2001: A Space Odyssey EVA pods.

Offline Solatar

As is there's really no visibility in the cockpit. You can't see sideways through the wings and you can't see above you because of the roof. While I like the design of the fighter, it doesn't seem logical to design such a cockpit.

Maybe there's something with Terran space superiority fighters (minus the all purpose Apollo). The Myrmidon has a similar cockpit problem.

Offline peterv

obviously the visibility is the major problem. The side glasses allow some side visibility but there is no solution frot the back and the above. I'm thinking to solve this with an external cockpit model which will have  "installed" monitors in the roof and the back side off the cockpit
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:46:24 pm by peterv »

Offline Solatar

I just find it interesting that the Ulysses has this problem as well as the ship designed to replace it (the Myrmidon).

You'd think the dogfighters would have the best visibility, not the worst. Or perhaps both the Ulysses and Myrmidon share a pilot "sitting" position other than the standard cockpit chair setup (standing or otherwise).

Offline peterv

Well, beauty is usualy in trouble. I'm working on it but i don't think i can avoid the "sitting" position, mainly for conventional reasons.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Maybe the actual window view is supported by a projection?

Offline bfobar

When I look at that cockpit I imagine the pilot straddling something, like he's in an enclosed motorcycle, or one of those membari fighter positions where you lay on your stomach.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When I look at that cockpit I imagine the pilot straddling something, like he's in an enclosed motorcycle, or one of those membari fighter positions where you lay on your stomach.
That makes sense.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oooh. That'd be interesting.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline peterv

So far, the "enclosed motorcycle" layout is the only solution. The position where the pilot is laying on his stomach is uncomfortable 'couse the pilot will have to look straigt ahead.

Offline bfobar

I would be uncomfortable like spending a long time on a racing superbike (which i understand isn't very pleasant compared to sitting in a mercedes benz e class or something). Of course the ulysses handles like a crotch rocket, so maybe it fits.

Offline bfobar

here is a drag racing motorcycle.

and here is a track motorcycle.

I try to imaging the bike minus the front fork and rear tires to see how much volume the position would take up.

Offline peterv

Consessive position for the front-side-rear view, but try to look upwards sitting like this.