Author Topic: Many model warnings with latest FSO build  (Read 5649 times)

Offline wesp5

Many model warnings with latest FSO build
So I was checking the latest FSO build with TBP 3.7.9 and Run Fast Debug and got over 20 model warnings, most of them looking like this: "Warning: On model 'BI_Falkosi.pof', the path for dockpoint 'rearm dock' does not have the same parent submodel as the dockpoint itself!" Any ideas on how to fix these? I took a look using pof-tools, but I can't see a difference between models that give the warning, e. g. CR_Sekundus and those that don't, e. g. CR_Primus, their parameters and the models look the same. Another less common error is "Warning: On model 'DF_Sky_Serpent.pof', path 0 for dockpoint 'dock point 2' is not valid!  The index is 9 but the total number of paths is 9." Sometimes models even give both warnings!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:25:45 pm by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

Re: Many model warnings with latest FSO build
P.S.: I tried assigning detail0 as parent submodel and this seems to fix the first warning, although many models have no parent set there and still work fine. Maybe the docking point is outside of the model in the cases that give warnings? Anyway, I will fix all of these tomorrow and then will take a look at the second problem. Once I am finished I will upload the fixed models here, so somebody with Knossos access, Admiral Nelson?, can integrate them and maybe release a TBP 3.8.0 :)!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:46:11 pm by wesp5 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Warning: On model 'BI_Falkosi.pof', the path for dockpoint 'rearm dock' does not have the same parent submodel as the dockpoint itself!"

I will have to tweak that message: most of the time the problem here is not the submodel but the actual path.  In other words the ship's path for that dockpoint could be wrong, and the dockpoint might need to be assigned a different path.

For the second problem, somehow the dockpoint does not have a valid path at all.

Offline wesp5

I will have to tweak that message: most of the time the problem here is not the submodel but the actual path.

Pof-Tools lists $dock-01-01 for most of these paths and when I assign a parent the warning goes away. What is this path anyway? And what is the docking point? Especially with fighter which don't have a docking bay.

For the second problem, somehow the dockpoint does not have a valid path at all.

Any way to fix that? Because Pof-Tools just crashes giving back a long error list...

Offline wesp5

P.S.: I tried using path01 instead of dock-01-01 and the warning went away for the two ships I tested too. So which solution is the correct one? Also there is at least one ship, NR_Cargo_Pod1 with no other path at all!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 01:59:10 am by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

Update: I fixed all warning now and even managed to disable the path warnings by hex-editing the pof files. I don't really know what I am doing, but the warnings are gone and everything seems to work inside the game!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The correct solution is to always look at the dock point first.  Make sure the dock point has the proper path assigned.  A path may display something like "$dock-01-01" but this is just a label; it has no actual effect on the model.

If Pof-Tools crashes, try the latest version.  Version 1.5 was just released.  If it still crashes, edit the pof in pcs2.

Hex-editing the pof is a bad idea; you risk causing lots of problems that way.

Offline wesp5

The correct solution is to always look at the dock point first.  Make sure the dock point has the proper path assigned.

I am not a pof model expert at all, so how would I see if the dock point has the proper path assigned?

If Pof-Tools crashes, try the latest version.  Version 1.5 was just released.  If it still crashes, edit the pof in pcs2.

I don't even know what pcs2 is, but I will download the new Pof-Tools version.

Hex-editing the pof is a bad idea; you risk causing lots of problems that way.

Right now everything looks fine and I only needed this for the Drakh Shuttle and Drazi Sky Serpent. I don't know why both even have docking points...

Offline wesp5

P.S.: Pof-Tools 1.5 doesn't crash anymore and I have fixed the two models without hex-editing now :)! I will update my patch soon, who is willing to upload the fixed models to Knossos?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Sure, I'll take care of it.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline wesp5

Sure, I'll take care of it.

Great! Pof-Tools 1.5 found some more issues that I will fix now or tomorrow. Strange enough, the Shadow skin is not displayed anymore in Pof-Tools...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 05:44:15 pm by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

Morning. I fixed all models so that neither pof-tools nor fast debug give any warnings! I hope the former suggested the correct fixes as I still don't really know what I am doing ;). I tested some or the missions with the most variety of ships (Shadow Dancing and The Battle of the Line) and everything seems to work. Admiral Nelson, the fixed files can be found in the data/models folder of my patch as released today on the ModDB. This might warrant raising the version number of TBP to 3.8.0 as 85 files were changed!

https://www.moddb.com/games/the-babylon-project/addons/the-babylon-project-unofficial-patch1

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
All set - Version 3.8.0 is now released!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great news :yes:

Good to see this project has been continued.  I have not played in a long time but who knows in the future...