Author Topic: I loved the demo, some other comments / bugs report, though.  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
I loved the demo, some other comments / bugs report, though.
I really loved this version. The WWI / WWII feel, the necessity to be in a formation to attack another group, limited ammo and fuel, well, everything was great.
Some of the mission design were awesome, too. Even though it s not so realistic not to have targetting system in the future, it's great and give a good vintage impression.

I love some of the details, like the important engine wash or having to actually "land" on the carrier

Carry on the great work.

Some bugs I noticed, though.

MINOR BUGS THAT WILL TAKE 10 secs TO CORRECT

(typo) : In mission 4 (Sunny day I believe), first sentence of Alpha 1 : "succesful" should be "successful" I believe.  In one of the fifth first mission, can't remember which "You guess that were"  instead of "You guess that we are"
(typo/bug) When you equip weapons/missiles on the falcons, it indicates 3 zones A and one zone B, instead of 2 A and 2 B (not sure you can understand this, just have a look in-game
(realism)The diplomatic vessels should have a minor engine wash effect, given its size.
(realism)How can you know what is in the containers in the Chronos in the mission against the VC gaz miners ? It should be "unknown"
(realism) In a Sunny Day, the leader identify the carrier before it is even here (when the subspace think appears, he starts "OMFG, a carrier"
(realism) Last level, if the Kuyper guys could be purple instead of green, it would be better IMHO. There re not so much my "allied".

BUGS/FEATURES A LITTLE HARDER TO CORRECT OR IMPLEMENT

(bug)Still in Sunny Day (tough mission in Hard), after the two groups separate because the leader follows a decoy attack, the wing tries to regroup. There is ALWAYS a collision between the different ships. You should point to two slightly different locations for regrouping.
(bug) The Damocles firing missile on itself everytimes when I approach it in the mission against the gaz miners. It's blatant, and really weird. I know it s supposed to be an old ship, but come on, this failure should have been corrected by then - or they should not use the missile launcher and use it to storage food instead :)
(realism) In a Sunny Day (yah, I know), they say they can't help you because you are the only one in the area. Well, Gamma wing just landed, can't they scramble them ? At least for the last waves (time to refuel and stuff).
(realism) Sometimes, especially in you-know-which-one, enemies focus on the leader who happens to be unkillable. And then, I come behind and shot them all. I was so frustated I started the mission again. Could you limit the number of opponents on the leader to 1 (and maybe lower the number of pirates).
(realism) Could collision be a bit meaner, for more WWI/WWII/early spacewar realism ?
(realism) The mustang should get their entry in the encyclopedia.

FEATURES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE
(realism) Could you limit the maximum range of the radar to 10km and terminate the INFINITE option. Or even better, a "max" option instead of 10k (which would be 10k) Why ? First, because then I could assume that new enemies didn't pop from nowhere (since they can't subspace) but just that they entered my radar range / that a keeneye wingman sees them. If you put "max" instead of "10k", it would be better since it would explain why my enemies popped at 5 k and not 10. Secondly, I guess the solar system must be pretty crowded by civilian craft. Why can't I see them on my radar ? Answer : Range is too short.
(realism) Some civilian ships in all the levels next to the moons being out there would had realism, but might be tough (modeling and stuff) for a minor result.
(realism) Going from no targeting to a state-of-the-art targetting system is weird. Maybe the first targetting systems we have wouldn't give the health of the ennemies, nor where to shoot to kill them. That would be added... after. I know you were hasting to release the demo in time, but is it planned in the final version ?

Oh; and also, is voice acting planned ? I can furnish you a silly French accent if you want (mine).

Well, it's still absolutely awesome, I say it again in case you forget it :)

Re: I loved the demo, some other comments / bugs report, though.
Yeah, lots of bugs in Sunny Day. I made that one and I agree that it was pretty crappy. But it looks like you still liked the campaign. :D

There will probably be no patch for Chapter 1, so there's no need for bug reports. Thank you for offering them, though.

The problem with voice acting (VA) is that if you choose to have VAing, you need to have every pilot VA'd, and that takes a lot of time. From experience we know that it takes a surprisingly long time to get voiceacting done- indeed, we were planning to have Chapter 1 acted but ran out of time- so thank you for your offer, but voiceacting isn't planned at the moment.

As for the radar range thing, it's possible to use the primitive-sensors-set-range SEXP to do exactly that. However, all the TVWP battles take place within a radius of 5-10km, so the issue is moot anyway.

Hopefully the rest of TVWP will be released sometime this decade- I can't make any promises as we're on somewhat of an... extended hiatus. Thanks for posting though. :D

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I am again travelling all the time -- I am presently sitting in Delhi 9,000 miles from home.  This travel unfortunately will continue until the end of September.  there really isn't much left to do for Chapter 2, and I will try to patch Chapter 1 when I am home for more than a couple of days.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

glad to see you're making progress. as long as it comes out eventually, i can wait... a skill that suddenly came to me a couple weeks ago  :nervous:  :P
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

I am again travelling all the time -- I am presently sitting in Delhi 9,000 miles from home.  This travel unfortunately will continue until the end of September.  there really isn't much left to do for Chapter 2, and I will try to patch Chapter 1 when I am home for more than a couple of days.

Thank you so much for your work Admiral Nelson. If you could patch Chapter 1 that would be very appreciated. This and a joint release with Chpt. 2 would deffinitely be great. Have fun in India and if you can, visit Mathura. It is a great place (even if pictures are all I have from there).
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Lol

That was a year ago buddy
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Heh...  :nervous:

Sorry about that. My mistake.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Eh.  Comments are still appreciated. :)