Author Topic: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade  (Read 21675 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade
Esarai: Yes, Like I said, a redesign of it.  I love that rendition of the Marauder.  I hate the TRO one with a passion.

This one:

So damn ugly.  Apart from the Warhammer and the Rifleman, I don't think I've seen a Japanese mech I didn't find ugly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:03:04 pm by Aesaar »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That one is a 100%complete copy of the Zentradi officer battlepod

Shameless thieves. They stole pretty much everything. 99% of the initial designs anyway.
Shadowhawk? Phoenix Hawk? Wasp?

Here's a list of everything stolen with comparisons:
http://brianscache.com/unseen/

I'm baffeled how the MechWarrior/Battletech survived the lawsuit.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They didn't steal it.  I will now describe the reason behind what is called the Unseen:

1) FASA creates BattleTech in 1985, and licenses several popular designs from mecha anime from TCI.  The problem that arose from that is that TCI didn't have any real legal grounds to issue the licenses to use those visual designs outside of Japan.

2) Harmony Gold, the company that exists solely to take Japanese anime and mash them together for American audiences and sit on licensing rights took FASA to court in 1994 over the use of their designs.

3) FASA and Harmony Gold settle out of court, and FASA relinquishes the right to use those images in their official products.

They didn't steal anything, they didn't try to get away with anything.  Take note that it took Harmony Gold nine years to decide that BattleTech was worth suing someone over.  The other major problem with this situation is that Japanese copyright law is different depending on whether the use is domestic or foreign.

Also, to answer your other questions as well as I can, here is a list of absolutely everything that the company even has a tiny chance of acquiring for you to pilot.  Do note that I can't really go looking for specific chassis and designs, but that this is a full list of everything available period for you to make your wishlist.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm fine with whatever mech isn't fugly.

ATM I'm running a ShadowHawk in WMO with 2 AC/5 and a PPC.
So that. Or a victor. Or a Hunchhback. Or Phoenix Hawk.
Or whatever.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Phoenix Hawk and Hunchback are the most likely of that list.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
A Swayback model of Hunchback would be pretty good though, I reckon.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Contact!

EDIT: Refresh for inclusion of mission brief.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
>>17Aug3000, 21:59
>>Personal log, Derrick "Iron" Hansen
>>Topic: Thoughts and Reflection
>>VOCODER ACTIVE.......

>>Planetfall is tomorrow- guess this will be my last "night" in this little cabin. I won't miss bumping my head on the bunk rim, but after 8 months, even a cardboard box would start to feel homey. That's assuming I can even manage to sleep. I haven't been this wired since the last Solaris heavy-division finals..... this is even worse. Having to worry about your own skin is troubling enough, but now I'm responsible for all the men and women I've brought onto my "crusade".

>>Hah, "crusade". Amazing how that word carries such a powerfully good connotation despite the ugliness that any history book could reveal in minutes. Hmm..... [BEVERAGE BEING SIPPED] Maybe in a time when so many are fighting for murky reasons, perhaps being driven by something as simple as profit imparts a certain.... purity to one's cause. I really am trying to hold onto some higher purpose here. The Succession Wars simply keep going... so much good has been taken out of the world. I may not be the kind of man to really create anything, but I can be damn certain I remove some bad things from this universe. You know, that's not a bad line. Maybe I can work that into a pep speech for the troops.

>>It might be impossible to overstate how great a logistician Quinn has been. I've never been that big on anything not 'mech-related, but Quinn has a true talent for managing behind-the-scenes stuff.... and people! A roster full of warriors, and a surprising number of people with extra perks too: Pvt. Pilar's share of the family astro-shipping business, which has become a sizeable stake in the Iron Knights, Sgt. Segura's earnings from his acting career, and Tech Zajgla, who'll be able to hop from fixing to dismanting 'mechs once she finishes her formal training.

>>(sigh) My brain feels like a flipbook at 600 frames per second, and I didn't even drink any of the turbocharged turpentine the galley calls "coffee". HM! Doens't matter. I'm basically Company Dad now, and I need to be able to shoulder that responsibility. Best way to do that is to take care of myself. Can't say I'm taking care of myself if I'm not sleeping. [LOCKER OPENS, CLOTHING RUSTLES] Maybe a good lift or four will help me clear my head a bit. Hey computer! [COMMAND PHRASE] End recording.

"Company Dad". Man, the **** I come up with. Memo to self, don't go back through this log unless I want exposure to critical levels of cringe. heheh....

Father.... Mother..... why can't I remember you? How can I be a "dad" to anybody if I don't even remember being raised?
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have been running with this recently and I like it:

Maybe replacing all of it with AC2? or 2xAC5's and 2xAC2's??

Also, the firestarter is a fun mech to play with. Especially if you go all "flamers and heat sinks" combo.

Offline Patriot

That thing is from the future! :O

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
HMm.. I'm sure I saw Capaphract on the list.. or maybe that was the Crusader?
A lot of mechs to go trough and my brain is a bit derpy.

Anywhoo...whatever works. I just like dakka!
I find Ultra AC2's (clan) to be bloody muder once you get a few of them.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Weapons in MWO function very differently from weapons in the tabletop.  AC/2s of all stripes are not good frontline weapons, and AC/5s are the definition of not worth the tonnage.

Offline Patriot

Well, a Champion would be nice, decent Heavy Mech :D
And it has looks similar to the Tenchi

Offline Aesaar

Also, Double Heat Sinks won't be available until 3028.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Weapons in MWO function very differently from weapons in the tabletop.  AC/2s of all stripes are not good frontline weapons, and AC/5s are the definition of not worth the tonnage.

I use AC2's for sniping. And  I usually have flamers or small lasers for CC. That's my WM4: Merc experience b.t.w.

Never played tabletop MW, but they should have range IIRC

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, they have range. Problem is that most maps will not let you use that range, and the 2 points of damage it puts out aren't really worth the trouble.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Canis - 58 years

Not sure about that. Canis is Coyote second-line, and was unknown to the Inner Sphere before Operation Serpent. This doesn't mean it did not exist before Serpent.

Contact, under fire! Armor. No track. Terrain ruins my magnetics and they're not moving. Moved to a position that is not LOS to targets.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:27:14 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There will not be blood.

EDIT:
Underneath the link to the update post that features a battle, I will list the characters that have enough experience to train in another skill.  I will also post their current combat skills (if any) and the experience required to increase those.

Phantom, 3/3.  6 exp.  40 to increase gunnery or piloting.  5 to learn new skill.
Melvin, 3/4.  6 exp.  40 to increase gunnery, 20 to increase piloting.  5 to learn new skill.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:02:45 am by Scotty »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Attention, all participants.

Please, if you currently have a character in this campaign, do two things for me.

1) In your current field, designate a target skill level.  For MechWarriors and Aerospace pilots, give a Gunnery/Piloting score.  If you don't know what a good number is, say something like "Regular" or "Veteran".  For Techs, Admins, Doctors, and Infantry (don't think we have one of those yet), give a skill rating (Regular/Veteran/Elite).

2) Designate a skill to be trained in once that target skill level has been reached.  A list of eligible skills follows:

Aerospace Pilot
Vehicle Driver/Gunner
VTOL Pilot
Artillery
Infantry
Mech Tech
Aero Tech
Mechanic (Vehicle Tech)
Astech (assistant tech)
Doctor
Medic (assistant doctor)
Administration

EDIT:  If you've already told me you don't, strictly speaking, need to do so again unless you want other folks to know what you're going for.

Offline Patriot

For me 2/3 and then Mech Tech :)