Author Topic: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade  (Read 21575 times)

Re: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade
Sergeant Usman Tirumalai
Target: 2/2
Skill: Infantry

for god's sake scotty i have no idea what to want
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You are a good pilot (3/3), midway between Veteran and Elite (actually described as Elite by MekHQ's personnel roster).  You could pick damn near anything up there and still be of beneficial use.

administration, my character always wanted to be an accountant before he was pushed into all this mech piloting nonsense
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
1/1 with a Tech chaser. Kai Allard-Liao will be afraid of me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:40:57 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Am I even in? There was talk of being a mech tech who could potentially multi-class to mechwarrior. I'd like to jump on the "unauthorized use of simulators" train ASAP, kthx.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Am I even in? There was talk of being a mech tech who could potentially multi-class to mechwarrior. I'd like to jump on the "unauthorized use of simulators" train ASAP, kthx.

I will make you a Tech.  Your Tech will become a MechWarrior.  All will be right in the world.

EDIT:  If anybody else wants to start in the campaign, this is much more likely than in the other campaign to end up with that character in a combat arms occupation.

Especially once we start using Infantry in combat.

EDIT II: You are now Tech 1st Class Padraig "Red" Jenkins, fast tracked for 'Mech skills.  Dat first name.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:43:54 pm by Scotty »

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
3/2, Administration.

Someone has to push paper.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So if you start in other branches, and you go for mech warrior, how are starting skills determined? Do you start with 1/1?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Patriot

You start with 7/8 or 8/8, higher number being worse in skill(the skill is your base-to-hit)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Hm.... My character's already pretty badass in combat skills. I'd want to say push for 2/2, then cross-train into, in order of preference/company need: Mech Tech, Doctor, Aerospace Pilot.

Unless it would be more point-efficient to cross-train me into something else right away. I can't imagine hitting rank 2 gunnery will come cheaply at all.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You start with 7/8 or 8/8, higher number being worse in skill(the skill is your base-to-hit)

That's really poor skills.

Isn't it better to just hire/roll a new pilot?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Technically speaking, a new pilot is going to be better at being a pilot than a converted Tech, because a converted Tech will always start out at 8/8.  However, there are a couple really good reasons to cross-train people

1) One salary instead of two.
2) Experience gained doing pilot things can be used to increase Tech skills.  Otherwise, Tech skills take forever to raise.
3) It's cool.

IronBeer: It will take 40 experience to get from 2/3 to 2/2.  That's honestly a few points less than a couple of other wishlists posted already, so it's fine.  I think, for cross-training I'll go with Aerospace, and then once that gets to a respectable level Infantry skills.  The commander should be able to do everything he asks his troops.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
IronBeer: It will take 40 experience to get from 2/3 to 2/2.  That's honestly a few points less than a couple of other wishlists posted already, so it's fine.  I think, for cross-training I'll go with Aerospace, and then once that gets to a respectable level Infantry skills.  The commander should be able to do everything he asks his troops.
Sounds like a plan. And if I remember, my guy's a decent shot with personal weapons already, so that's a nice perk.

On a somewhat related note, how much of a PITA would it be to reach 1/1? Just out of curiosity.

Offline Patriot

If i'm not mistaken it takes 80 experience to go from a 2 to a 1 in skill for gunnery, and then another 80 for piloting, so it takes a while depending on how many kills you can score for the 1xp per kill

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It takes 60 to go from 2+ to 1+, and 40 to go from 3+ to 2+.  It will take you 160 experience to reach 1/1.

In my experience, most personnel accumulate an average of 20 experience per year, generally speaking.  Cross-trained folks could get a leg up on that if I front load them for repairs (I probably won't, the greenies need the exp a little bit more).  So, if you're good with waiting about eight years to cross train to infantry... :P

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I totally missed this

I have no idea what is available and my knowledge of MW is limited so whatever free space I could have I'll take!
"No"

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
It takes 60 to go from 2+ to 1+, and 40 to go from 3+ to 2+.  It will take you 160 experience to reach 1/1.

In my experience, most personnel accumulate an average of 20 experience per year, generally speaking.  Cross-trained folks could get a leg up on that if I front load them for repairs (I probably won't, the greenies need the exp a little bit more).  So, if you're good with waiting about eight years to cross train to infantry... :P
Heh. Ok, then. Get me to 2/2, then cross-train as previously discussed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I totally missed this

I have no idea what is available and my knowledge of MW is limited so whatever free space I could have I'll take!

You're the Doctor.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Technically speaking, a new pilot is going to be better at being a pilot than a converted Tech, because a converted Tech will always start out at 8/8.  However, there are a couple really good reasons to cross-train people

1) One salary instead of two.
2) Experience gained doing pilot things can be used to increase Tech skills.  Otherwise, Tech skills take forever to raise.
3) It's cool.

Doesn't the reverse hold true too?

If you hire a new pilot and cross-train him as a tech, he still gets one salary, right? (unless pilots can't be cross-trained).

Either way, when I finally arrive into this outfit (one way or another) if a secondary/tertiray skill is necessary, Mech Tech sounds useful. One can never repair something too fast. Or doc.
Or whatever the hell Scotty thinks is useful for the team.

As long as I can drive big stompy things and blow s*** up, all is well.