Author Topic: Ulysses Oddity  (Read 11807 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Yeah, but the Ursa has 3 banks instead of two, which means you can carry a ****load of bombs AND have some missiles to defend yourself with (2 bomb banks, 1 missile bank). Plus the Boanerges doesn't have a turret, which is Not Good (tm). It also has 5 gun mounts instead of two. The Ursa has the most firepower of ANY GTVA bomber, bar none.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
:wtf:

They all have three banks. In fact, the Sekhmet has exactly the same secondary configuration. The Ursa does trump the other two on primary firepower but, like the Boanerges, its gun mount positions make it harder to aim (also, the five gunpoints are split across two guns; it's not like the Shivan bombers). The Sekhmet has a quad mount and does not have problems with the gunmount positions but runs out of weapon energy more quickly. I guess the Ursa's Kayser turret gives it an edge over the others as far as firepower is concerned, but the secondary capacity is very similar to those of the other two.

Offline magatsu1

The Ursa's too slow. Flying it just gets tiresome.

I'd go for the Horus, Serapis if I'm in the mood, and Medusa.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
the ursa is the only one with 80 set as its bank sizes...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
No-ones mentioned the Ares, I wonder why? ;)

I actually quite liked the Myrmidon, I know it's not the most popular of ships, but it had good missile payload and blistering firepower, but the Apollo was a better interceptor in general performance.

As far as bombers go, the Boanerges could shrug off a hell of a lot of hits, but the Ursa wins for me because although it is no more manouverable, it has the extra protection of a turret. Both are pretty pedantic, but can deliver the goods :)

Least favourite ship : The Loki, a wing of three Loki is often 9 pieces of debris by the time it passes my ship.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
the ursa is the only one with 80 set as its bank sizes...

eh...as I just said, the Sekhmet has exactly the same missile capacity and configuration as the Ursa.

No-ones mentioned the Ares, I wonder why?

I use it all the time actually. :D

Least favourite ship : The Loki, a wing of three Loki is often 9 pieces of debris by the time it passes my ship.

I think the worst FS2 ship would have to be a tie between the Loki and Osiris; the Loki was already mentioned but the Osiris is just as bad. Even the double turrets cannot make up for its pathetic secondary capacity. :p
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 03:09:11 pm by 296 »

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by Liberator
Fix how?  Like an Athena Mk 2?  All smooth edges and larger payload?

Sounds like the Artemis.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Remember the "Skunk Works" McDonald-Douglas (I believe) civillians working on top secret stealth aircraft. Now they do alien ****e...:p

$20,000 for a hammer my ass! (unless it really IS a single hammer, but one desinged to hammer in ALIEN components that normal hammers can't)...

Now the uber toilet seat has me stumped however... The one that washes and blow drys you ass is NOT that expensive. Makes me wonder what sort of features the secret military one has? :rolleyes:

The fact that the military bought it, because anything it purchases automatically costs astronomical amounts of money. Are AIM-54 missiles REALLY worth $2 million?

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Flipside
No-ones mentioned the Ares, I wonder why? ;)

I actually quite liked the Myrmidon, I know it's not the most popular of ships, but it had good missile payload and blistering firepower, but the Apollo was a better interceptor in general performance.

The Myrmidon handles like an original Herc and its weapon placement and secondary capacity is worse. It may be fast, but speed is nothing if you can't maneuver. You'd just be somewhat faster-moving bait for an Apollo's guns.

--General Battuta

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I think the Myrm sucks so much because V was trying to show how the Terrans had fallen.  

At the end of FS1 they were at the peak technologically speaking, what with the Ursa, IS fighter Jump Drives, and the Banshee.  

By the time of FS2, the designs had become ****e because the sub-contractors had started to cut corners and pay off inspectors.

The Myrm is an example of a corrupt Military/Industrial complex feeding on itself.  It's just good enough to get by.  The Boanerges is another, it doesn't even compare to the Ursa except in the amount of punishment it can take.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Err... What? The Myrmidon is one of the best fighters in the game. It's almost as fast as the Perseus and almost as strong as the Herc 2. Secondary capacity is a little lightm but you can carry 3 different types of weapon, and you've got six gunpoints to compensate, the most of any Terran Fighter except the Erinyes. It's a Space Superiority fighter, which means it has to be capable of doing pretty much everything, and it is, in most cases.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
But the Myrm is just plain UGLY....I remember first playing FS2 and thinking: "OH MY GOD, What have they done ?!?"
Same story with the Boanerges....UGLY. Which is sad, since the design sketches for the Boanerges looked a LOT better than the finished product.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Originally posted by Woolie Wool

The fact that the military bought it, because anything it purchases automatically costs astronomical amounts of money. Are AIM-54 missiles REALLY worth $2 million?

Duh. They're worth whatever the market will pay for them.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Err... What? The Myrmidon is one of the best fighters in the game. It's almost as fast as the Perseus and almost as strong as the Herc 2. Secondary capacity is a little lightm but you can carry 3 different types of weapon, and you've got six gunpoints to compensate, the most of any Terran Fighter except the Erinyes. It's a Space Superiority fighter, which means it has to be capable of doing pretty much everything, and it is, in most cases.

That means nothing if it can't dodge for ****. It has a huge target profile from any angle and has TERRIBLE maneuverability. They should have stuck with the Uly or redesigned the Apollo. Hell, you don't really need a redesign. Beef up the reactor a bit, increase weapon compatibility, and slap on two more gunpoints and it will be better than the Myrmidon could ever hope to be.

--General Battuta

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hercules :

$Rotdamp:                       0.35
$Max Velocity:               0.0, 0.0, 50.0                  ;; in x/y/z -- z only specified forward.  use special tokens for backward movement
$Rotation time:               4.0, 4.5, 4.0
$Rear Velocity:               0.0
$Forward accel:               3.0
$Forward decel:               1.5
$Slide accel:               0.0
$Slide decel:               0.0
$Hitpoints:                     250

Mymidon :

$Rotdamp:                       0.35
$Max Velocity:               0.0, 0.0, 75.0                  ;; in x/y/z -- z only specified forward.  use special tokens for backward movement
$Rotation time:               4.0, 3.7, 5
$Rear Velocity:               0.0
$Forward accel:               2.4
$Forward decel:               2.0
$Hitpoints:                     290

As you can see, the Myrmidon is precisiely what it was designed to be, it's faster, and more manourverable than a Herc, has more hitpoints, and a higher payload. Not a bad upgrade in my opinion :) Admittedly, it doesn't pull up as fast, and it doesn't accelerate as quickly, but then, I'd rather fight the NTF in one of these than a Herc :)

More manoeuvrable than a herc? Look at the rotation times, it's only better rotating on one axis, on the last axis its worse. Maybe the Myrmidon is actually the true successor to the Hercules, while the Herc 2 is the successor to the Apollo. The Herc 2 has a better profile, less guns (as in the Apollo) and its more manoeuvrable than either the Myrm or the Mk1 (except for the Rotation Damp). Compared to the Myrmidon, the Mk2 may not be so bad as everyone claims it is.

$Damp:                          0.25
$Rotdamp:                       0.4
$Max Velocity:              0.0, 0.0, 55.0
$Rotation time:              3.8, 4.2, 3.8
$Rear Velocity:         0.0
$Forward accel:         3.6
$Forward decel:         1.3
$Hitpoints:                     275

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

They need to siphon off the money to the evil alien conspiracy to put a mindless drone in control of the Whitehouse somehow.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Akalabeth, I did actually say in my post that the Mymidon is worse on one Axis, but for the added firepower, it's worth the loss ;)

Anyway, it's all down to personal preference, and just as some people like flying a bomber that is bigger and slower because it carries more bombs, I like fighters that sacrifice a little agility for the sake of the ability to actually fight ;)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Can someone explain to me how the Myrm is bigger than the Mk2 but has less secondary payload?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Poor engineering, I guess. :p