Author Topic: Batman: Arkham City  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Demitri

Would just like to say that I have had my PC version pre-ordered for forever and a day and have been recently emailed by the retailer telling me that release date has been put back to 10th Nov, whereas my brother who has his pre-ordered for PS3 get his on 21st Oct. Not a happy bunny!

Apart from that I'm pretty excited about this game. First one was tremendous!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man I am so pumped for this.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think any game has ever made a faster transition from 'this is a brilliant game made by geniuses' to 'holy ****, I am going to uninstall this and drown my hard drive in bleach' than Arkham Asylum. Let's hope City sticks to point the first

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I don't think any game has ever made a faster transition from 'this is a brilliant game made by geniuses' to 'holy ****, I am going to uninstall this and drown my hard drive in bleach' than Arkham Asylum. Let's hope City sticks to point the first

I didn't find it that bad, but it did go majorly downhill around halfway through.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Get out. You haven't lived until you've gotten to the Party. 40 basic mooks and endless freeflow
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Get out. You haven't lived until you've gotten to the Party. 40 basic mooks and endless freeflow

That's a point, but there were parts where it became a real slog. It's just that there were enough quality set pieces in the later half to keep me going.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I've beaten the entire game more than once, you're leaping to conclusions here (the ending was **** but at least there were goons to beat up)

The game veering sharply from brilliant to **** does not preclude it from veering back or to any intermediate point in between

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The game veering sharply from brilliant to **** does not preclude it from veering back or to any intermediate point in between

True. I will never forgive it for the high-security inmates and the crappy controls for dealing with non-basic enemies but much like my recent completion of Alpha Protocol it's faults are outweighed by its successes.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

True. I will never forgive it for the high-security inmates and the crappy controls for dealing with non-basic enemies but much like my recent completion of Alpha Protocol it's faults are outweighed by its successes.

This I can wholeheartedly concur with, it is a great game.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

I think the main problem was the control issue.  I played it on PC (mouse/keyboard), and the controls just didn't lend themselves to free-flow combat that required anything more onerous than attack/block.

That said, there were only two things that really irked me about the game:  fighting the skeletons Scarecrow threw at you in that weird non-standard perspective (we have just spent a whole game getting used to a particular combat style and camera angle, and now you change that for a single sequence?), and the final boss fight (le crap).

But in general, an immensely entertaining game.  I loved the exploration aspects of it, particularly.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I enjoyed the game enough to go out of my way to earn every blessed achievement in it, at least.  You want to really get frustrated with the controls?  Try going for the highest medal rankings in all of those combat challenges.  A couple of those took years off my life. :p

Offline Mikes

If they would finally remove securom from Arkam Asylum I'd buy it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Gonna 100% Arkham Asylum after work ungh I am the night

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd have to restart it.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'd have to restart it.

Why is this

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
My computer has been reformatted and I don't believe it is Steam Cloud.

A Feddie Story

Offline rhettro

I loved the first one from start to finish, played it on my 360 though.  Arkham City should be in my mailbox when I get home today. :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I've been told I look hilariously similar to Doctor Strange, just not bald.

Halloween costume pending.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
The ending: wow.

Spoiler:
I am not that much of a comic follower (only apart from Linkara's stuff) but I love such bold approaches. Not gonna state more just yet, not even with spoiler tags.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
100%

UNGH

Are you retarded or something

who the hell do you think I am