Author Topic: Setting scanning distance  (Read 2157 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Setting scanning distance
I'd like to increase the distance at which the player can scan containers to around 500.

I looked at the Wiki's ships.tbl and objecttypes.tbl articles, but didn't find this feature.

Is there any way to set modify the default minimum scanning distance via tables?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Setting scanning distance
I don't think there is. You're right though, there should be. Moving this to the SCP board, as it is more of a feature request.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
hmm, what would be the most versatile way to do this? Table based is good to change it mod wide, but an idea I might have use for would be something a little more temporary, like a FRED override? Perhaps both? (just questions/thoughts to encourage good discussion).
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Personally, I'd say a ships.tbl setting, complemented by a FRED-side override and sexps to adjust on-the-fly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You may wish to incorporate settings for both the scanned and the scanner.  Such as, a setting that says that object A can be scanned from 750m, but then have a scan multiplier in the ships table so that a particular ship (such as the Aurora in BP) may have a larger scan radius so for that ship only, that allows it to scan anything at a larger range, based on the multiplier.  It also allows for the multiplier to be set to a figure below 1 so that a more primitive ship might have to get closer to scan something.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
You may wish to incorporate settings for both the scanned and the scanner.  Such as, a setting that says that object A can be scanned from 750m, but then have a scan multiplier in the ships table so that a particular ship (such as the Aurora in BP) may have a larger scan radius so for that ship only, that allows it to scan anything at a larger range, based on the multiplier.  It also allows for the multiplier to be set to a figure below 1 so that a more primitive ship might have to get closer to scan something.

very big :yes: to this
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art