Author Topic: help media vps  (Read 1031 times)

ok, i downloaded freespace open for mac, and in the mediaVPs_3612 theres files with just a regular name e.g "MV_animglows" and files with different names e.g. "MV_animglows.3612". are these files different? do i need to install both types for it to work properly? also, when i run a mod, like blueplanet, with vps, it will usually crash, particularly around shivan fighters, mostly aeshemas and dragons. i tried running it with MV_root, but its so laggy the game wont even load, but with MV_root.3612 the game runs fine, exept the vasdan hapsursut class destroyer wont show up, it just laggs until crashing if that ships even in the level. any help? i would love to run blueplanet but its kind of hard when you cant get within two clicks of shivan ships  :banghead:, my computer is a macintosh G5 10.5 non intel based.
mac user 100%

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
G5 10.5?  We haven't had too much usage from the PPC crowd these days.  Do you know what graphics card you have?  It may just not have the GPU to run Blue Planet effectively.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

i believe its a Geforce FX 5200. if thats the right thing
thing is, i know blueplanet works, it runs great without media vps, but when i add vps, bam, it doesnt work very long, sometimes i can make a mission, but thats it. and i cant run it without vps because many ships dont show up or have gigantic holes in them because the textures used are from the vps.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:38:41 am by Jeff Vader »
mac user 100%

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Blue Planet requires MediaVPs.  You shouldn't be able to play it without them.  If you tried running a debug build, it would throw up in your face because of all the missing resources.  So yeah, you're seeing the results of it missing those files.

I'm also not sure at all about these .3612 files, but it sounds like this may need to be moved to Freespace Support.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have replied in the version of this thread posted in Support. Troubleshooting will happen there; closing this one for now.