Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102120 times)

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, get that log. I'm really curious what's going on here.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
A straight CTD with no FSO-generated error message is one of the more annoying classes of errors; the debug log almost never has something useful, and the only real way to track it down is to reproduce the crash in a debugger.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

Is it possible that the "Database" could get put into FS2Blue like it is for other BP campaigns so we can see the intelligence entries while playing that campaign?

Also, when trying FSBlue, I noticed a minor issue with the ships database:  Why isn't the Amun bomber in the database?  The Osiris and 2 FS2 Vasudan bombers were there but not the Amun.
EDIT:  I tried regular FS2 and found the Amun wasn't there either.  So never mind on my second point (though I personally found the Amun to be better than the Osiris).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:43:06 pm by CT27 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think the Amun is in FS2, is it?

Offline CT27

I don't think the Amun is in FS2, is it?

I eventually found that it wasn't.

As to my other question:  would it be possible to get Intelligence Entries in FS2 Blue?

Offline CT27

I just played "Endgame" in FS2 Blue.

The mission requires you to fail the secondary objective of destroying the Iceni, but I was able to accomplish the primary objective of protecting the Knossos.  In the debriefing though I got failure music.  Shouldn't the "successful" debriefing music have played?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The "successful" debriefing music only plays if all primary and secondary objectives have been completed.  If any of these objectives have been failed, the "average" music plays.

Of course, the mission designer can configure the "average" condition to use the "success" music track if he so chooses.

Terribly sorry for the bump, but I am wondering if this project is still being worked on or if it is considered complete.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is considered complete for the time being.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
 :bump:

I was in the mood again to play the FS2 main campaign again since it's been like... ten years :nervous: or so since my last run. So I decided to give this one a run. Unfortunately, I encountered a few issues.

1. The Morning Star seemingly has zero capability of affecting an object's flight path. Has it always been so or did you do changes to it's stats?

2. The Cyclops seems to be unavailable to the player. This is "somewhat" of a problem in some missions.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Morningstar does not have any kinetic effect any more.

The Cyclops thing sounds like a genuine bug though. Which MVPs were you using?

Offline SF-Junky

Morningstar does not have any kinetic effect any more.
Which makes Proving Grounds even more frustrating than it already was. But overall I think I like the change.

The Cyclops thing sounds like a genuine bug though. Which MVPs were you using?
I play via Knossos which automatically uses the most recent ones. I wondered whether this can be right as the latest release of BP dates back a while longer afair. But neither can I change it.

I thought the problem was that there is a missing allow-weapon SEXP in the mission before Rebels & Renegades.

Offline SF-Junky

I'm through with it. Most of the improvements are nice and add to the gameplay, especially in Slaying Ravana. The Yakiba, though, is a Deimos in the original. I extra checked that because I have her in my StormFront camapaign and was afraid right away that I accidentally transformed her into the wrong ship class. I take it you changed her to a Leviathan to be consistent with the briefing? :)

TAG missiles is something I never used except in the mission where you have to.

As for the campaign itself, I was surprised how... dull the mission design is compared to what most community projects produce nowadays. In some instances its even really bad, e.g. in Argonautica when the Moloch jumps right in front of the Aquitaine just to wait to be blown to smithereens. And then the Agrippa's flight path makes her collide with the Aquitaine. Well, they made the game in under a year back then iirc. Unimaginable by today's standards. :)

Yet it was kind of fun playing this classic again. As said it's been easily ten years since my last run.

They didn't had FSO back then, and slower machines. The Sathanas vs Colly duell is pretty boring, but you probably couldn't do much more than that back then.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We spiced up that duel a little in FS Blue.

You should really try TAGs out. They’re not just viable but maybe overpowered.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
We spiced up that duel a little in FS Blue.

You should really try TAGs out. They’re not just viable but maybe overpowered.
Using FSBlue TAGs on High Noon is certainly something no-one should miss out on. :nod:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
"Fire. Everything."
'Which one?'
"EVERYTHIIIIING!"
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What prompted the morningstar nerf? The kinetic effect seemed to be the USP, I just wonder what it brings to the table without knocking targets about?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

It wasn't a nerf, it was a rework. The retail morningstar is a useless gun that is only ever used in one specific mission to knock around invulnerable stealth ships for a secondary objective. Its damage is pathetic and its energy drain is higher than the Kayser. Sure, you can knock a fighter around for a while but why do that when you can take the Prom S and just kill them outright with half the sustained energy cost?

In FSBLue the morningstar deals better damage and does it with a proximity-detonation shockwave so it's new unique selling point is that it can do good damage even with near misses. It also has the CIWS flag so those shockwaves can damage bombs too, making it great at both bomb intercept and dogfighting.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded