Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221496 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you interested in hosting, Kara?

Not really. I very rarely play online except for bug testing purposes.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Where can I find him? If he hosts everyday then I will put him on the calendar.
If no one is getting the popupdead message I'll remove the hack and submit the code to CVS.
Can you wait until after Saturday? That's our big game day, and I'm not sure if many people have actually been testing it out much yet. I certainly know I haven't played any games during the week, simply haven't had the time.

However, you might want to ask Psychoo - He's been hosting games most days, and getting a decent attendence both from his 303 squadron as well as others (his games are open to all, which is nice. They're damn nasty to play against, though, which is not so nice :p), so if he or any of his participants have been using your build without problems then that should more than cover it as far as testing goes.
Where can I find him? If he hosts everyday then I will put him on the calendar.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

On FS2Net. Right now :p He posted about it some time ago: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49012.msg1002030.html#msg1002030.

By the way, slightly edited my last post to add more info. Just mentioning it so we avoid confusion with your quote.

[Edit] Oh and:
Not really. I very rarely play online except for bug testing purposes.
Pity, it's a blast :) Some of those coop missions can get incredibly tense and exciting, when everything is hitting the fan. A few of them are also conspicuously poorly FREDded though, so you'd probably be screaming at the heavens in disbelief at how these things ever got validated few times... I know I did :p
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:09:53 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
To be honest I don't play FS2 (or BtRL etc.) except for bug testing often either. I don't think I've played a game in 2-3 months. Ironically enough that one was online. :)

I'm sure I'll get bitten by the bug again sooner or later and go through another period of furiously playing the game again sooner or later. :)

Offline Shade

I know what you mean. I don't really do SP much at the moment, in fact the only campaign I've played since new year is PI. Have a huge backlog on them, but sooner or later I'll get 'bit' again and tear through a ton of them in no time flat :) Just like I recently got bitten by MP games and now play them whenever I have time - And two months ago I didn't even know how to chat in multiplayer :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Multi server up.. (in a minute) ...any takers?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Multi server up.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I have had the same problem with my multi.log file being almost 100MB. When this happened I had been using both the BtRL launcher from the demo and 3.6.9 launcher 5.5c. I started by playing against a friend, me on my laptop and them him on my desktop, hosting. He was using the BtRL launcher and I was using the standard one. We finished playing due to a myriad of errors such as "A pilot with this name is already ingame". We stopped and I tried to host a game when Hippo's server went down, and then went onto his when it came back up. He couldn't play from my laptop and had to get home so I just played on Hippo's. I started getting the double respawn message, I would click it after dying and then it would appear under my HUD afterwards. That stopped appearing after a while and I played as usual, and then had to go.

Offline Shade

About the game I'm hosting tonight: It will be mostly (if not entirely) coop missions, since I expect Psychoo to be hosting at around the same time and he tends to focus on TvT and dogfight. That way people can pick the game type they prefer :) That said, if 7 out of 8 people start telling me they want to play TvT, we will of course do that :p
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 11:12:51 am by Shade »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
@cole. If you're getting the double respawn bug check your log for the word I told you to (popupdead). Telling me you got the bug doesn't help me at all. What I need to know is if when you get that bug you also get the message in the log.

Whatever that code is doing it's a hack. Which means I am going to remove it. I'd rather know what it's doing first though. :)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
09/14 15:34:59~   Missions Completetion: Got Additional 0 bytes

That makes up 90% of the log.

popupdead does not appear.

Offline Shade

Ah, that kind of bloat. It seems to be fixed in Taylor's Xt builds, so for now I'd consider it nothing to worry about since it doesn't affect gameplay.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
As long as you got a few gigs of hard drive space to spare when hosting a night ;)

Offline Shade

True. Good thing gigabytes come dirt cheap these days. Also, game going up in 15 minutes! Be there or be... elsewhere :p

[Edit] And running, it is. Please use Kara's popupdead build if you can. Testing = good, and it won't affect gameplay.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:03:21 pm by Shade »

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Startin up the engines..

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I have had the same problem with my multi.log file being almost 100MB.

That's nothing.

I once had it go over 2.4GB.

We finished playing due to a myriad of errors such as "A pilot with this name is already ingame".

That's why you restart the server, instead of hitting the 'accept' button.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
[Edit] And running, it is. Please use Kara's popupdead build if you can. Testing = good, and it won't affect gameplay.

I'll try to come in a hour or so. Need to go out right now. Is the "Tantalus 53" your game?

Offline Shade

Sorta - He wanted to try hosting, so I said fine since it's a good connection. So it's the one I'm in and I'll go back to hosting if he leaves.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

I'll try to come in a hour or so. Need to go out right now. Is the "Tantalus 53" your game?
I'm pretty sure that he was on yesterday afternoon, too.

Offline Shade

Kara: In 10 games and nearly 1 GB of log files, I managed one hit of your popupdead check. If you need it, I can attach the part of the log where it appears.

As for tonight's games, they went great :) Good showing, a good medal harvest and several promotions for various people. All in all, an excellent night :) Except for my occasional crashing, but thankfully it was only during the forming stages and never in-mission.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 08:25:21 pm by Shade »