Author Topic: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)  (Read 37991 times)

Re: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)
Yeah, they stick out and interfere with docking a fair bit if I remember. But they made it look a lot cooler. I'm not saying add them all in, I'm just asking if you're include a few, or something in their place.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Kolgena

We could always have them as separate dockable antenna pieces, similar to how the rest of the Arcadia attachments work.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is Raginginloli + Esarai + MjnMixael

http://imagebin.org/131516
http://imagebin.org/131515

I just couldn't get the circle hole to work. I tried... but in the end, I really didn't like it so I went with the hexagon. Sorry to the circle lovers.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think you should lose the circle altogether. :eek: There's enough angles on the exterior that reinforce and emphasize the hexagonal shape that this feels really forced.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really? I kinda like how the hexagon is set inside there. Makes the docking hole thing seem like there is a reason it's not circular.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think I'm with Galemp.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I third Galemp's position. I'd even loose the arcing exterior curvature to a fair extent. It's a space dock/station, not a fast ship. Interior volume and ruggedness would go a long way.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I really like mjn's solution. It maybe looks a little bit too puffy but besides that a great approach! :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
EDIT: Really now. - Zacam.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:42:57 pm by Zacam »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I really think Galemp is just giving his opinion, not saying he could do better. In fact, his mannerisms were professional and clean.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
EDIT: Same for you as well. - Zacam
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:43:31 pm by Zacam »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
View it without the ridiculous smoothing.

http://imagebin.org/131555

http://imagebin.org/131553

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ahhh! nice :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Solatar

I'm with Galemp in opposing the circle, BUT I think it has potential, depending on the textures.  It's just so angular (at least immediately around the hexagon area) that I feel the circle looks a tad out of place.

But seriously, other than that small quibble, this thing looks freaking bad. ass. :yes:

Offline Kolgena

View it without the ridiculous smoothing.

http://imagebin.org/131555

http://imagebin.org/131553

I was just going to ***** and moan about the puffy jelly smoothing and thick cables, but you beat me to it :( Now it looks good and I don't get to raeg anymore.

More seriously, I think you could greeble the inside of the tube with recessed pipes and other assorted doodads. Might look cool. As for the bunch of stuff surrounding the hexagon, I think it looks quite good, and could see it making sense as some sort of structure required for station addons going through the tube. Actually, on second thought, the circle looks really good in the first picture because it's half recessed, but the side shown in the second picture seems (?) to have the circular stuff completely protruding. I think it'd look better if it was recessed a bit on that side as well.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SOOO much better with the smoothing fixed

Offline Kolgena

Haha, I just remembered what word I was fishing for but couldn't quite place.

Edema. It has been resolved.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
SOOO much better with the smoothing fixed

Agreed!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Actually, on second thought, the circle looks really good in the first picture because it's half recessed, but the side shown in the second picture seems (?) to have the circular stuff completely protruding. I think it'd look better if it was recessed a bit on that side as well.

It's a trick of the lighting. It is actually recessed on both sides.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:41:00 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I think the hexagon within a circle gives it a bit of a sphincter-like appearance--not that there's anything wrong with that, it just doesn't seem really terran to me.  Other than that though it looks really amazing.  I especially like the command tower things. :yes: