Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto 4 (PC) HELL  (Read 7301 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Re: Grand Theft Auto 4 (PC) HELL
Hardware stores like Fry's Electronics will have them in stock.  Go with a 560Ti.
Evidently, you haven't figured out that I live in Roxboro. I have never even heard of "Fry's Electronics." (does punctuation go inside of quotation marks or outside?)

I'm supposing you mean this?

Can I get GFX cards at some place like Staples or should I just pick one out on Amazon and ask my parents to order it for Christmas? (underlined for emphasis)

:wakka:

And I can see it now... "Mom, dad, can you spend $300 on one present for me for Christmas?" I wonder if you even have the PSU for it.
Evidently, you also haven't figured out that I live in Roxboro.

PSU = power supply unit?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
He could always find a part-time job.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
His mother won't let him. :D

Evidently, you also haven't figured out that I live in Roxboro.

Probably because I also didn't care to look in your profile, nor do I frankly give a damn.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:58:41 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FlamingCobra

EDIT: I know you don't.

I also feel that I wouldn't get much use out of it, since I am graduating at the end of this school year and I will need a new laptop when and if I go off to NCSU. And my desktop will be left behind.......

EDIT: On second thought, if I major in computer science or any kind of engineering (as planned) then it would be more beneficial for me to have a workstation rather than a laptop. Hm.......

Ok. Scratch that! No graphics card. Now I better start looking on Newegg and pick out a nice gaming rig. A very powerful one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:07:10 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
'Very powerful' = >$1000, just FYI. The one I'm building doesn't even have the best stuff and it's around $950 total.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline FlamingCobra

'Very powerful' = >$1000, just FYI. The one I'm building doesn't even have the best stuff and it's around $950 total.
Oh well. They'll just have to put out then. If it'll see me through 4+ years of college (depending on my final choice of a major), then it's worth the expense. IIRC, their HP Pavilion notebook cost them over $1000.

For a long time I have wanted to have a computer with both a windows partition and a mac partition. Recently, however, I have been told by one of my peers that such a configuration would be stupid; there is no situation in which it would be beneficial to have both windows and mac. I suppose that's true.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You'd have to own a Mac then, given that OSX only runs on Apple hardware.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
1.  Go to Tom's Hardware.
2.  Look up the most recent $500 gaming rig or mid-range rig.
3.  Order the parts from NewEgg or your local equivalent, and for Pete's sake see if you can find someone else to put it together because we don't want to give you lessons.

No computer is going to allow you to play new games at top settings for four years without upgrades.  Ain't.  Gonna.  Happen.  But a mid-range build will let you play new releases at reasonable settings for about four years, and memory and video cards are relatively inexpensive to upgrade if you get a decent processor to begin with.

At US prices, you should easily be able to build a pretty powerful system right at the price point where performance gains are still worth it for between $800-$1000.

And honestly, who fills in their actual birthdate for ANY online service not connected to credit card or banking info?  Hell, I am well beyond the age where anybody cares and I still don't fill in [most] age fields if they aren't mandatory, and if they are then I lie.  No one gives a damn, and most of the places asking for that information don't actually need it.  Although BlueFlames is absolutely correct that the reason the account lists 18 is because you have to be 18 to agree to a legal contract of your own accord.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Oh well. They'll just have to put out then. If it'll see me through 4+ years of college (depending on my final choice of a major), then it's worth the expense. IIRC, their HP Pavilion notebook cost them over $1000.

For a long time I have wanted to have a computer with both a windows partition and a mac partition. Recently, however, I have been told by one of my peers that such a configuration would be stupid; there is no situation in which it would be beneficial to have both windows and mac. I suppose that's true.

Some things to consider when thinking about college and computers:

1) Every university worth its tuition will have computer labs with computers that have plenty of power for anything you'll need class-wise.
2) If you want portability, get a netbook. You'll never get the speed per dollar a desktop gets if you get a laptop you so you might as well get the cheapest thing you can that will let you shell/VNC into something that has decent performance (eg the desktop you bought with the money you saved from not buying a full laptop).
3) If you don't have a computer capable of playing games, you probably won't waste study time playing games.

additionally

4) There is little to no reason to run OSX if you are going into engineering.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
EDIT: I know you don't.

I also feel that I wouldn't get much use out of it, since I am graduating at the end of this school year and I will need a new laptop when and if I go off to NCSU. And my desktop will be left behind.......

EDIT: On second thought, if I major in computer science or any kind of engineering (as planned) then it would be more beneficial for me to have a workstation rather than a laptop. Hm.......

Ok. Scratch that! No graphics card. Now I better start looking on Newegg and pick out a nice gaming rig. A very powerful one.

If you actually plan to major in computer science, I strongly suggest that you start familiarize yourself with computer hardware, operating system functionalities, and most importantly programming fundamentals, A.S.A.P.  Such a degree is not for the faint of heart, and your posts (no offense intended) lead me to believe that you are ill prepared for what will be required of you.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Oh god I *hated* that Xbox Live/Windows Live system. They didn't even have a proper website for it when it came out, if you tried to look up anything about Windows Live you only got Xbox Live info, and you couldn't easily your screen name (and they didn't even tell you the name you put in would be your permanent screen name -.-).

But it was worth it for the epicness of GTA 4 and Ballad of gay tony D:

GTA 5 is probably gonna have the same crap, and take even longer to get to pc if ever u.u
If GTA 5 doesn't make it to PC I'm never buying anything microsoft again (that is, try not to)...they already took away halo from me </3
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:33:04 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
2) If you want portability, get a netbook. You'll never get the speed per dollar a desktop gets if you get a laptop you so you might as well get the cheapest thing you can that will let you shell/VNC into something that has decent performance (eg the desktop you bought with the money you saved from not buying a full laptop).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO!
netbooks are WORTHLESS.  there ARE laptops available for almost the same price as netbooks, which while at the bottom end of the laptop power spectrum, have FAR more than a netbook and also such basic features as an optical drive and a display you can ****ing see from more than 3 feet away. 

on a different note, i took my desktop to school (also NCSU).  I also got a laptop for school work, but in retrospect you really don't need one except maybe for computer science.  even then it wouldn't be mandatory, just make life easier.  i certainly didn't end up actually needing it for engineering.  there was only one class i ever took that it was required (a 3d modeling class), and i'm pretty sure there are sections of that one that are non-laptop.  using a laptop to take notes doesn't really work in core engineering classes, unless you get REALLY good at LATEX.  it was kinda handy for history and such though.  by the end of my first year i stopped carrying it to class every day, and it became my laze back in bed and type up reports computer.  could also take it to the library or lounge to do work outside of my room (away from distractions). 

tl;dr
laptops are convienent for college but far from mandatory.

one final note, don't buy a laptop from the bookstore.  they are way overpriced and garbage.  my lenovo is slow as **** and drives me NUTS.  they really over-inflate the recommended/required specs for students.  really, just make sure if you get a laptop, it has a discrete graphics chip.  i probably only even needed that for the modeling class.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
netbooks are WORTHLESS.  there ARE laptops available for almost the same price as netbooks, which while at the bottom end of the laptop power spectrum, have FAR more than a netbook and also such basic features as an optical drive and a display you can ****ing see from more than 3 feet away. 

:wtf:

1) If you actually need an optical drive you can do what I did and get a $10 USB optical drive and chuck it in a drawer whenever you're not using it. If you have a legitimate reason for getting a portable computer, chances are it's really not worth the extra size for something that you'll be using maybe twice.
2) If you can't see the screen from more than 3 feet away, try decreasing the screen resolution. Getting a bigger screen won't help. Not that it matters because I can't imagine why on Earth you'd be using your computer display from the other side of the room.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
To be honest, I can't stand netbooks because of their keyboard.

I can't understand how some people are willing to code on those things. Which incidently, brings up screen space which is also needed.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
keyboard layout in majority of laptops and netbooks especially is simply atrocious. Every time I'm forced to operate on such a PC, it drives me nuts as I can't type properly, much less find other keys intuitively.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:wtf:

1) If you actually need an optical drive you can do what I did and get a $10 $40 unless you want a cheap piece of crap  USB optical drive and chuck it in a drawer whenever you're not using it. If you have a legitimate reason for getting a portable computer, chances are it's really not worth the extra size for something that you'll be using maybe twice.
2) If you can't see the screen from more than 3 feet away, try decreasing the screen resolution. Getting a bigger screen won't help. Not that it matters because I can't imagine why on Earth you'd be using your computer display from the other side of the room.  yeah no.  The reason it's hard to read is because there is so little on the screen (at least for most I'm sure) and decreasing the resolution makes the problem worse.

my 2c

EDIT:

To be honest, I can't stand netbooks because of their keyboard.

I can't understand how some people are willing to code on those things. Which incidently, brings up screen space which is also needed.

that too.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
$40 unless you want a cheap piece of crap

It would depend on what you use the optical drive for, then. Personally I've needed discs on my netbook twice in two years, and I wouldn't recommend paying four times the price unless for some awful reason you regularly need discs.

yeah no.  The reason it's hard to read is because there is so little on the screen (at least for most I'm sure) and decreasing the resolution makes the problem worse.

So little on the screen != cannot operate from a distance, which is what klaustrophobia was talking about. Getting a bigger screen wouldn't make things easier to read from farther away because all it does, generally, display more things at a similar dpi. If you want to use a computer from >3 feet away you need either low dpi or high dpi and a computer capable of blowing everything up and running the high resolution (ie neither a laptop nor a netbook).

Which brings me back to reiterate points I've made earlier: Laptops powerful enough to be your primary computer are generally not worth the money. Use a small, cheap computer to shell/VNC into either your primary computer or your school's/workplace's servers and work there. Chances are at school there will be plenty of labs available for student use, so unless you plan on doing things on your computer that shouldn't be done in public and are system intensive, personal computers are unnecessary. If you have the money, a netbook is a good way to access more powerful computers when you can't be there in person (I agree, you'd be insane to use it as your primary computer, just as insane as you'd be to use a laptop as your primary computer). If you have even more money, you could get your own desktop. But a full size laptop is nothing more than an overpriced, lackluster compromise of the two.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
$40 unless you want a cheap piece of crap

It would depend on what you use the optical drive for, then. Personally I've needed discs on my netbook twice in two years, and I wouldn't recommend paying four times the price unless for some awful reason you regularly need discs.

Problem is, usually what you need them for is OS installs... yeah, random corruption on my WinDOwS install?  /no want.  I realize there are probably cheap drives available that can reliably read data, but I haven't seen any yet.

Also, for the price of a netbook (what, $250-300?), you might as well drop another $100 and get the cheapest Toshiba laptop you can find for $399 at Wal-mart.  Probably 3x the performance and it's reliable and you can see and it has a optical drive and a decent sized hard disk too.  Oh and you can type on the keyboard!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Also, for the price of a netbook (what, $250-300?), you might as well drop another $100 and get the cheapest Toshiba laptop you can find for $399 at Wal-mart.  Probably 3x the performance and it's reliable and you can see and it has a optical drive and a decent sized hard disk too.  Oh and you can type on the keyboard!

A cursory glance at the walmart website tells me that, on average, $100 will get me 100gb more storage and 2gb more memory. It's harder for me to compare processor architectures but it seems like on average you also get 0.5GHz and a core more. Maybe it's just me, but I'd honestly rather put the $100 toward desktop hardware and keep my netbook's superior battery life.