Author Topic: X4: Foundations (by Egosoft)  (Read 2832 times)

Offline mr.WHO

X4: Foundations (by Egosoft)
Following the disaster that was X-Rebirth (the previous game from Egosoft X-series) there is a new game coming aroung 2018/2019:
https://www.egosoft.com/community/news_en.php

https://www.youtube.com/user/Xuniversechannel/videos

Basically this is sandbox space sim where you can do anything from freelance fighter pilot, pirate, mercenary, traded to owner of entire fleets of carriers/destroyers and own empire with stations and shipyards.
Additionally, this game will provide living universe with dynamic economy based on supply and demand.

If this game will be at least as good as X3 (the game before X-Rebirth that was very good and full of moding comunity) then how about making the Freespace mod for that game? Game mechanics is based around "jump gates" which are quite similar to Freespace jump nodes, so it should be possible to recreate the GTVA space.
Imagine flying every possible Freespace ship from Fighter, Freighter to Collossus. You could be a GTA trader or HoL raider during Great war.
We could start with FS1 with some community made mods for TV war era and then expand to FS2 and beyond (like Blue Planet or Inferno, or both :)  )

Of course the X4 could turn into another nightmare (X-Rebirth was a total bug fest, limited features and moder nightmare), but if all will go well this could be ideal environment for something new in Freespace universe.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: X4: Foundations (by Egosoft)
Back when they launched Rebirth, I visited Gamescom the same year and the game was on the exactly as catastrophic road as the new game is right now. Rebirth as shown back then was three months from release, officially in Alpha, unpolished as hell and did not even run fluently on the PCs they had at the event to demonstrate it in the best light possible. The flight AI was non-existent, the shading of characters atrocious (a series staple), the menus super-confusing, the performance abismal and everything screamed "give me another year in development". And it was probably buggy too, but that was hard to evalute in the 45 minutes of play. Not much changed till release.

Fast forward to today: X4 is currently in Alpha and the release date has been communicated as the 30th of November. Do the math. This is going to be another disaster on launch day.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Good to see they're sticking to what they know best then :P.

Still tentatively excited for this despite them, well, being themselves. THe X series is one of my favorite podcast games, a bit like Euro Truck Simulator has been for a lot of non-space-heads

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Still tentatively excited for this despite them, well, being themselves. THe X series is one of my favorite podcast games, a bit like Euro Truck Simulator has been for a lot of non-space-heads
I like that term. "Podcast games".

X3, and all of its additions, was my JAM. Almost nothing else I've played comes close to scratching the itch it does, despite all the warts.

Here's hoping X4 doesn't suck.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Back when they launched Rebirth, I visited Gamescom the same year and the game was on the exactly as catastrophic road as the new game is right now. Rebirth as shown back then was three months from release, officially in Alpha, unpolished as hell and did not even run fluently on the PCs they had at the event to demonstrate it in the best light possible. The flight AI was non-existent, the shading of characters atrocious (a series staple), the menus super-confusing, the performance abismal and everything screamed "give me another year in development". And it was probably buggy too, but that was hard to evalute in the 45 minutes of play. Not much changed till release.

Fast forward to today: X4 is currently in Alpha and the release date has been communicated as the 30th of November. Do the math. This is going to be another disaster on launch day.

I wouldn't be suprised it this was just their normal MO, the X3 single player story was janky as hell and even Terran Conflict at times felt it had some really bad scripting and design choices and this was playing them after extensive patches.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mikes

I wouldn't be suprised it this was just their normal MO, the X3 single player story was janky as hell and even Terran Conflict at times felt it had some really bad scripting and design choices and this was playing them after extensive patches.

I was absolutely excited when a new X-Game released. Every Single time. And every single game turned out to come with a boatload of major disappointments that turned the entire experience sour in little time.

But this time it's gonna be different .... I can feel it ... really! .... right. ...

Online deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Terran Conflict is the only X3 game I have.  TBH I have had trouble getting into it; the gameplay is a bit overwhelming for me.  I don't deal with open world games very well, and although I enjoy more ship management that I would find in a arcade game, I don't want too much complexity.  Maybe I need to try it out again though.

If only there was a linear, mission-based space game where I could just fly around and shoot stuff, with maybe a few ship and wingman management aspects...
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Play House of the Dying Sun :P

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Seconded.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Seconded.

Go play that game. We three here, we all remember a time when we are not his dragon. And now we pray that the war will never end.

To sweeten the deal, remember that our forum member Battuta did some of the writing and lore.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.