Author Topic: Problems installing Inferno  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Problems installing Inferno
Hi there. Its been about two weeks or so since the release of Inferno, and I'm still trying to get it to work.

At first, I tried installuing it, and when the installation "froze" at 50%, I canceled. I did this a few times. After that, I figured out that I just had to wait, so I did, and it finished. Upon starting the campaign, I releazied that I only had a Ulysses selectable in the ship selection screen, so I searched for other people with the same problem. People with that problem usually had old .tbl files remaining in their data folder. So, even though I had cleaned it out, checked again for any old .tbls. None were found. So then I noticed a bunch of "INF_Main.$$d" files (not sure about the last letter of the extension) in the Freespace 2 folder. So I figured that all the partial installation must be screwing it up, so I removed them all, including the proper one, and created a new data folder. Now, I have installed again, and when I try to start up fs2.exe (tried it with fs_open as well) I get an illegal operation error (invalid page fault in fs2.exe bla bla).

Can anyone offer some advice? I know FS2 worked before, and I created a new data folder before installing (if its of any significance, the data folder is now empty, even after installation).

To try to get a glimpse of the ships, I've opened up the .vp in ModView, and can I just say that the Jotun is a freaking awesome ship. Perhaps my favorite FS2 ship. Good work Venom (I think it was Venom...or Wootmeister):lol: :lol:

Offline Rictor

Ok, I restared the computer and now I don't get the error anymore.

But I still only have the Ulysses in the ship selection screen, with only Hornet missles. I have NO tbls in my data folder, and only the one INF_Main.vp file. And yes, I have slected the Inferno campaign.

For some reason, I still have the "Freespace the Great War" background for my Pilot selection interface, though this shouldn't be, since I have made a new data folder. Could it be possible that FS2 is reading some of my other data folders (when I install a new mod, I usually rename the old data folder to data1 or data-old)? Seems unlikely, but I have the old selection screen as proof (I had FS Port on before this), and when I went to "Campaigns" to select Inferno, Freespace The Great Waqr was selected by default. And yet, it asked me to create a new pilot, there were no existing ones.

Hmm...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sounds like you still have the fsport2.vp file in your Freespace2 directory.  Rename it to fsport2.bak (rather than deleting it) and try again.

Offline Rictor

Ok, that did it. I now have te Vesuvius, and the techroom is full of Inferno ships.

However, in the weapons selection menu, I have 0 of everyting, and when I start the misison I have only a V Slash...this seems very odd...

When I tried to go to the weapons section in the techroom, FS2 crashed...then it won't start again without restarting the computer or else it gets an error...

This might be something with my comp, and not FS2, since when I entered the techroom, I got the same error and I got a few times in the past few days, and as af as I know, it has nothing to do with FS2

Ok, thanks for the help, I'll try to sort it out and check back here if I can't;) ;)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
try creating a new pilot
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
weapons techroom crashes without a new pilot.