Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 849207 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I probably will need freders for INFA2. But I haven't got that far yet.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
LGM is correct, I'm not that great at Fred, but I can do adequate missions. Damn, Mobius did half of the Steadfast campaign in one month.... I suggest you get him on the job...

LieutenantGeneralMobius - *Highly Recommended*

;) :P

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I'm not very good with graphics stuff but I've tried to make the asteroid field look better by using a skybox:

This one is Sedna and the Oort Cloud

Both of these are full 360 coverage with rocks, as your supposed to be inside the fields. It can be odd if you pass the game generated asteroid field and fly into the void trying to get to the skybox asteroids though :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wow, much, much, much better than that old crappy asteroid.pcx texture used in Intangible Factors.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually I used that old R1 file for the first test for this :D

These aren't background files though they are a skybox, so you can't specify rock field positions or anything.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That file was the ugliest background evar!!!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I've updated the second skybox, the field is now much more dense. Image has been updated too.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
This one is Sedna and the Oort Cloud

As a point of accuracy, I wouldn't think that the Oort cloud is that densly populated.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I think all those red dots are hostile sentry guns around the installation along with fighters. Also, Woo said that if we are looking for a campaign with lots of eye candy, then Inferno is not for us. But what I've seen, Inferno seems to have a lot of eye candy as evidence of that beautiful screen of all those asteroids. :nod:
Nope not sentries :)

We can't compete with some of the eye candy produced by some of the total conversions. I didn't say there wouldn't be some nice looking stuff, but if you want super high res full detail everything, then your looking in the wrong place.
These skyboxes aren't perfect, but for someone with my level of graphics skill, they should be ok for use.

Trivial Psychic:
I had to reduce the density a bit as the UV mapping of the skybox caused noticable errors on the one in the pic. However I don't want it looking like the regular asteroid field so I'll probably stick with a more dense image, even if it isn't totally accurate.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That is the only asteroid skybox I have ever found acceptable. Congradulations.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hm... Maybe the dots are interference?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No, the HTL asteroids would probably kill your system and you would get the 'weapons pass through everything' problem with that number of rocks.

Offline redmenace

Well, when things are dynamic it won't be an issue.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
At a guess, lag. Ya know in some games of pong, when the ball starts travelling fast, it passes through the paddle?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It's caused by too many objects for the collision detection code to handle.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hehe, I remember a long time ago I made a mission with Inferno when there were about twenty fighters (with wave x99) and a few cruisers, an Icanus off in the distance (with the uber cannon at the ready with the press of [c]) and three Knossos portals.

The wings included
Alpha (1 Keres with Hastor + Kayser ADV)
[email protected] (6 Stentors)
a3*ha (1 Keres with Hastor + Kayser ADV)
1_4m_50_l337 (6 Vesuvius)
B3ta (6 Cyone)
G4mm4 (6 Cyone)
3ps1l0n (6 Cyone)
c00l_wing (6 SF Gorgon)
3\/1|_3_\/\/1|\|9 (6 SF Harpy [[imported from OTT, no fighterbeams, 4 Reaper cannons+ShivanSwarmofDeath]])
kill_me (AF Kato)

Damn, that mission was fun until I added an asteroid field and a load of undesignated and unwinged fighters (all AF Kato), and a wing of SFr Asmodeus freighters. I didn't know what was causing the problem so I ended up getting on with my homework. :sigh:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
FS2O will have already crashed on my comp the very moment I see the first wave appearing on my screen in that mission...

On my comp, FS2O tends to crash out (with the Windows error message) when I start seeing moderate activity. At times, eight fighter and bomber wings can be all it takes. I don't know if this is related to the camera crash bug that I've been plagued with for quite some time now though.

Funny that Derelict didn't crash out, but then again some of the missions lagged so bad I had to turn everything down. And it still lagged. Hmm...

Bangwal
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That mission was a long time ago, when I still used retail, so it didn't tax my system that much. It was really fun, there were a few Asmodeus freighters, an SOC Orc, a few Alcyone and a single Gordia. Wow, that was no doubt one of the most fun things I ever did on FS2....

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Nuts...

The craziest I've done is an entire swarm of Gorgons and Katos gunning the @!#$ out of each other (like, 5-6 wings on screen at any one time) while defending their home juggernaut... Androgeos versus Sath... And usually the Androgeos would keep winning, but then you have a pesky (friendly) Alcyone spraying Flak all over the place, as well as a Vesuvius lobbing Armageddon bombs... LOL

I even forgot what happened to the Vas friendly (also a Cruiser class)... he was supposed to go hunt down the Sath while the Alcyone battled the Androgeos... LOL
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Vesuvius with Armageddon? Did you change something? Vesuvius can only carry Assassin bombs, IIRC....